• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RX 470 artifacting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telepman

Registered
Hi,
Would appreciate a little help. I got this issue with my RX 470, after I leave the PC on for the night I got this bar-code thing on the screen. After I move the mouse a little it disappears and everything's normal. Except I set the alarm on Aimp and in the morning the program is not running. The GPU seems to be working like it should in gaming. Does this mean the voltage is too low in idle? I know I should return the GPU but I don't wanna wait for a month to get a replacement if I can fix this on my own.
Also, I'm totally new to Wattman, so I didn't feel like playing with the voltage settings.
unnamed.jpg

Why not try the simplest fix first?
Have you uninstalled then reinstalled driver?

I didn't uninstall the driver but I updated it to the latest version, the problem was still there. I disabled PCI-E speed spectrum in bios, but it was probably automatically disabled already. I still have CPU speed spectrum enabled, I think it's necessary for the CPU to downclock in idle. Maybe I should reduce CPU OC or increase Vcore?

It's a new GPU^^. Anyway I reinstalled the driver and deleted the Nvidia driver that was still on my hard drive (oops). Also, I was looking at options in MSI afterburner and I tried disabling ULPS, don't know if helped but this morning there were no artifacts :).

With a too low voltage, the PC would either send a message like "VGA driver stopped responding", or would freeze and blue screen.

It is either a corrupted driver or a hardware malfunction (vague enough, right?).

Check the card is well inserted in the slot, make sure your cable is well plugged. Then do as Lochekey suggests.

If it doesn't fix it, you are good for a RMA unfortunately...

From my experience, it is the kind of corruption you get with a defect PCB (pre baking, lol!).

What are the other components in the system btw (CPU, MoBo, PSU...)?

My sistem: FX-6300 @4.3, M5A97, 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9, Samsung 850 pro 250GB...
PSU is Thermaltake 630W with 49A single 12V rail.

From my experience, it is the kind of corruption you get with a defect PCB (pre baking, lol!).
But if the PCB is defect wouldn't it be showing corruption on high load? I only got this problem on idle. That's why I keep hoping it's a software problem.

If you want to be 100% sure, qand if you have sparee HDD, perform a Windows and drivers clean install, from scratch.

I do have an empty HDD installed, used to be system till I got an SSD, guess I might try that. I won't be returning the GPU for now since I got no more problems after reinstalling the driver. Now it's time to play with undervolting :). Thanks for the help everyone!

Does the Artifact happen on any window in 2D mode and not in 3D mode?
It never happened in 3D mode, only in Windows after the PC was idle for a few hours. I have sleep disabled, only the monitor turns off after 15 min.

It looks more like a driver issue to me.
Some of the latest windows updates for Win10 were causing power saving issues and errors while switching between low power and 3D mode ( 3D mode works even in web browser as some applications are using graphics for acceleration ). I had that on nvidia but probably it's also happening on amd. Just a guess but after driver restart after error there are sometimes artifacts on the screen.
Best will be to check it on a different PC or after fresh windows installation like others suggested.

Back