• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 Home forcing bad update (Anniversary?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Aren't ATM machines/cashpoints running XP in several countries still ? They got a revamp a couple years ago in Portugal, were still on it.

Over 90% of ATMs in the US and maybe globally are running XP, they all got upgraded from 95 due to security threats.

EDIT: Sauced by ED ~ my timeline was wayyy off :screwy:

Last edited:
Seems like at least a majority (up to 95% as you see later in the article) were on XP as of early 2014.

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...after-microsoft-pulls-plug-on-os-support.html (3/2014).

More than six out of 10 ATM machines in the country will be running on an obsolete operating system when Microsoft pulls the plug on Windows XP support on April 8...

...According to the ATM Industry Association (ATMIA), about 38% of the nearly 425,000 ATMs in the U.S. that are powered by Windows XP will have migrated off the OS by next month's deadline.

The Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI SSC), which is responsible for overseeing security standards in the payments industry, has already noted that ATMs still on Windows XP after April 8 will need to have certain compensating controls in place to be considered PCI compliant. The PCI SSC estimates that Windows XP powers 95% of ATMs in the world...

...Many operators have already moved or are in the process of moving their systems to Windows 7, which is the next available Windows upgrade for ATM systems, Tente said. But for a majority, the cost and time involved in upgrading their systems to a new OS is a huge challenge, he said.

Several financial institutions have worked out, and at great cost, arrangements with Microsoft to keep Windows support available for a while longer, he said...

...ccording to Tente, independent operators run about half the ATMs in the U.S., while large financial networks operate the rest. A "fair number" of installed ATMs are powered by Windows CE and embedded versions of Windows XP, which are not affected by the April 8 deadline, he said.

EDIT: Good lawd, LOL... where am I going to put these posts and clean up this thread for you Leegit?! Sorry about that man..!

Last edited:
Asked cause I remember seeing an ATM booting up a couple years ago and it was running something like a Pentium 200mhz w/32mb ram, the memory kinda stuck :p

Managed to get a clean fresh install to work using the Windows Media Creation Tool on a flash drive. It took 4-5 attempts before it would take. Not sure why though... anyways back up and 3770k rig is running again :thup:

I set my WU to "metered connection" and that seems to keep Windows Update at bay. The first time I get advertisements on my Start Menu I will send my W10 DVD to Redmond, WA with a very nasty suggestion as to its suggested storage location.

gzF2vxl.png

Better send that DVD & message!

lmfao

Start Menu in Windows 10 does have ads but there are ways to not see them, ever.
I really think we should shift to talking about *how* to disable things we don't like rather than endless posts about disagreeing with Microsoft over what they are doing as far as their new business model...

The big picture is that ads in the Start Menu is part of Windows 10.
Just because if you tinkered in any way with your Windows 10 and disabled them or just because they don't show up for any other reason on your machine... ads are very much part of Windows 10 now.
So don't let this be a surprise to you when you eventually find out this is real. Learn how to disable them on every machine you use instead. ;)

Back