• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 Home forcing bad update (Anniversary?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leegit

I've been putting off updating for awhile now and Windows 10 just went ahead and forced out this update while I slept :sly: It's done it to me twice now and after its done it fails to boot the OS the next time. First, I tried a system restore to fix it which didn't work then I booted into safe mode and it loaded the OS. I didn't do anything while in safe mode and just restarted into normal mode, everything seemed to work, so I took the opportunity to make an image of my system for backup :D Last night, it pushed the update on me the second time and now I'm back to it not booting into the OS... :mad:

I have the image file to recover from but I'll still be without the update and it will eventually want to force the update on me again. What should I do? :rain:

I set my WU to "metered connection" and that seems to keep Windows Update at bay. The first time I get advertisements on my Start Menu I will send my W10 DVD to Redmond, WA with a very nasty suggestion as to its suggested storage location.

You can turn Windows updates off in Windows 10 Pro, but you Windows updates are mandatory as far as you can't pick or choose, it's all or nothing.
You can't check for updates, without all of them installing even. Therefore,
If all else fails, partition your hard drive and install a fresh install of the latest Windows 10 Anniversary build.
You should be good until the next major build, which should be a while and plus a new major build might go through next time.

It's unnecessary to be surprised any more that advertisements and data collection for targeted ad purposes is part of Windows 10 now.
This is what Windows 10 is, and if you have keys for other OS then you can use Win7 until 2020 and Win8 until 2023.
After that you, will have no Windows choices any more, but until then you do.

Windows 10 is the most stable OS to date and works well for the majority of users. But not for everyone.

I know it's coming. I'm going back to 7 when it does. This isn't a "free" operating system. I paid money for it and absolutely won't tolerate adware like I'm using some free third party app. Everybody has their limits. That's mine. :)

This update has like bricked my OS... I can only boot into the OS now when I use Safe Mode... I've tried resetting my PC and keeping my files. Also tried restoring from system image. Neither will boot straight up.
Only works through Safe mode :rain:

This update has like bricked my OS... I can only boot into the OS now when I use Safe Mode... I've tried resetting my PC and keeping my files. Also tried restoring from system image. Neither will boot straight up.
Only works through Safe mode :rain:

Have you tried a fresh clean install of Windows 10?

Have you tried a fresh clean install of Windows 10?

What do you mean by fresh clean install?

I upgraded to Win 10 Home from Win 7 Home and don't have a physical install disc. But I have done a reset of the pc removing all apps, settings, and personal files. I selected the option to remove the files (instead of the completely erasing them so they cant be recovered which takes longer). It worked for about 10-15 mins then it froze. When I restart it would not boot unless I was in Safe Mode, while in Safe Mode it does not freeze on me but my mouse won't work.

It seems to be a driver issue? :shrug:

This is on my old 3770k rig btw, I never had any problems until this update got pushed out...

I'm having some driver issues after the anniversary update and unfortunately I'm on a HOME edition but I can still tweak the metered option through registry.

My question is this...will the metered setting also affect downloads of games etc?

Secondly, many have reported that doing a fresh install with the anniversary update fixes issues...

Would you do the fresh install, fully update windows, then install your various drivers or drivers first before updating windows to current version?

Thanks.

Don't forget that MS changed the rollback period to 10 days with AU (1607), you might be better rolling back until MS fix some of the AU issues they're currently working on.

My question is this...will the metered setting also affect downloads of games etc?

I haven't noticed any issues at all, other than not having things foisted upon me that I don't want. It's the last loophole that works in our favor instead of M$'

What do you mean by fresh clean install?

I upgraded to Win 10 Home from Win 7 Home and don't have a physical install disc. But I have done a reset of the pc removing all apps, settings, and personal files. I selected the option to remove the files (instead of the completely erasing them so they cant be recovered which takes longer). It worked for about 10-15 mins then it froze. When I restart it would not boot unless I was in Safe Mode, while in Safe Mode it does not freeze on me but my mouse won't work.

It seems to be a driver issue? :shrug:

This is on my old 3770k rig btw, I never had any problems until this update got pushed out...

You can create a from scratch USB flash drive installer using the Microsoft "Media Creation" tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

As long as Windows 10 has already been installed on the machine at some previous time the Microsoft servers will recognize the machine as a legitimate candidate and will automatically activate the product after installing. Just skip the part during the first part of the installation process where it asks for a product key. It will install without it and activate automatically after the install is complete.

Been reading a lot of reports on forums of this happening, and seeing some videos about it on youtube lately.

Glad I rolled back to 7 before this update attempted to install on my machine.

Just knew they wouldn't have the kinks fully worked out of this OS yet. Maybe I'll try it again in 2-4 years, hopefully it will have improved in appearance and functionality by then. Still don't like the user interface though, and organization of things in the OS. It isn't like 7 with Aero, and I genuinely don't like that light theme (too bright for my taste).

You can change to another theme if you don't like the Windows 10 light theme, just like you can with any previous version of Windows. Therefore, I don't consider that a valid criticism. In 4 years you will have no choice but to move to 10 because all support for Win 7 will be gone.

I think there will still be support of some sort just like there was/is with XP. Too many machines running win7 ATM. I work in part of a huge corporation that just replaced all it's XP machines with new Win7 systems. I can't see them toosing thousands of systems in four more years. There will be preesure on MS to keep supporting Win7 at least in some form anyway. Just my opinion.

We just upgraded 1000+ pcs from xp to 7 two years ago at my last job. Because the machines were still in support, we upgraded the OS only. New machines may not be needed. Just test it with the organizations apps internally - likely have to upgrade some end user applications if they aren't kept up, roll it out to select users for UAT, then blast it out in stages... while the process is taking place, have some educational classes on site as well as online. They were already running beta w10 and should roll it out by end of this year to start.

Sounds easier than it is though.

Back