• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crash and artifacting with an ATI 5870,

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

Just restored an old 5870 for a second gaming rig on on ASUS P8Z68-V_LX, with a 2500k O/C @ 4.2.
I have had to reduce the GPU clock and memory speed to 800/1100 respectively (stock is 840/1200), to get any kind of stability, but still getting random crashes and artifacting in games. I always had to pull back the clocks on this card to get stability.

Monitors show CPU temps around 42C, and GPU @ 52 under gaming load. Fan throttling all working good, and temps look stable through the runs. Cooling is a H70, and pump runs 100%. Also CPU overclock is stable, and temps reach max 62c @ 100%CPU with prime, so I suspect the issue is with the GPU. This card has been dormant in the attic for a couple of years. Wondering could the thermal compound have dried, or something like that. But like said the temps look stable. PSU is a reliable antec 650w, which has powered my 2 970's sli along with this CPU with no problems.

Any other advice welcome.

Just restored an old 5870 for a second gaming rig on on ASUS P8Z68-V_LX, with a 2500k O/C @ 4.2.
I have had to reduce the GPU clock and memory speed to 800/1100 respectively (stock is 840/1200), to get any kind of stability, but still getting random crashes and artifacting in games. I always had to pull back the clocks on this card to get stability.

Monitors show CPU temps around 42C, and GPU @ 52 under gaming load. Fan throttling all working good, and temps look stable through the runs. Cooling is a H70, and pump runs 100%. Also CPU overclock is stable, and temps reach max 62c @ 100%CPU with prime, so I suspect the issue is with the GPU. This card has been dormant in the attic for a couple of years. Wondering could the thermal compound have dried, or something like that. But like said the temps look stable. PSU is a reliable antec 650w, which has powered my 2 970's sli along with this CPU with no problems.

Any other advice welcome.

Sounds like possibly bad soldering... It's a candidate for a reflow!

So... you have a H70 on a 5870? Are the VRMs/memory being cooled? I see you lowered both core and memory speeds.. Was this a requirement for both to be low or was this a 'i'll set it here and YAY it works' type thing?

So... you have a H70 on a 5870? Are the VRMs/memory being cooled? I see you lowered both core and memory speeds.. Was this a requirement for both to be low or was this a 'i'll set it here and YAY it works' type thing?

ha.... no, its on the CPU.

GPU has the stock blower, which i opened, re-pasted, and cleaned.

Last edited:
Not sure what 'bad soldiering' would be or a reflow?

But the update is, my problem maybe related to the MB. I'm now doing more testing with the GPU out of the picture, and getting failures in prime after several hours. Throttling back the o/c, till i get stability first. Strange, since this CPU was stable @ 4.3 on my P8Z68-V Pro. The current ...LX is a reconditioned board, so maybe a piece o junk.

Well dident have to go the reflow route. Turned out to be more of an issues with the CPU clock speed. Throttled back to 4.1gHz on the 2500k, and got Prime95 stable for a run of more than 24 hours. Now running furmark for a couple of hours, and all looking good. Even went back to 850MHz on the GPU (memory clock is 1100). Temps settled at 62C both GPU and CPU cores, with Prime and furmark running together, so happy with that, and think i'll call it a day if I can maintain the stability. :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
Back