• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Mechanical keyboard advice (k70, ?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

Hi, I'm looking for a new mechanical keyboard for my PC. I type A LOT on my keyboard and need a good quality one. I'm willing to spend quite a bit on it. The things I look for a keyboard that must be necessary are: a good wrist rest and a big "ENTER" button.

I have been looking at the Corsair k70 keyboards. However I don't see the difference between their makes, for example: k70 vegenance, k70 cherry, k70 RGB, k70 RBG LUX; how are they different from each other? In looks they don't seem that different, sometimes just very small differences, but there can be a huge price gap between the different makes of k70, which makes me wonder what really is different? Could anyone explain what are the differences are, and which keyboard from the Corsair k70 should I get? (I don't really care about the colours that much tbh).

You can also recommend me another good keyboard, Thank you!!! <3

I have the K70 RGB. I love it! I got the one with the MX Cherry Brown keys. These are the keys that do not have the click. The RGB has the MX Cherry brand switches and multi colored LEDs on each key. The LEDs for each key can be programed to any color that you wish. It has a default where the keys for gaming are a different color than the rest of the keys. I like that setup so I haven't played with the programming at all. It also has a button that toggles the LEDs from low to medium to high to off. I also like that I have a quick and dirty control of speaker volume right there on the keyboard.

The color of the switch designates its pressure force and if it has a click that you can feel/hear. It has no bearing on the color of the keyboard or the LEDs. The colors for the switches are:
Red
Blue
Brown
Black
Clear
???

If you google search the MX Cherry keys, you will get a good description of the specs for each switch.

You will generally find that any keyboard with the MX Cherry brand switches will be the same.

Last edited:
I got mine from Monoprice a while back, it has Brown switches. Before that, I had one with Black switches. Definitely a different feel, but I prefer the Brown. If you get a chance, try and find keyboards with different switches at a store to see what ones feel better to you. Some people really like the Blue switches, some really like the Red. It's going to come down to personal preference on which switches you like, and I'd really recommend trying them first if you can.

I got mine from Monoprice a while back, it has Brown switches. Before that, I had one with Black switches. Definitely a different feel, but I prefer the Brown. If you get a chance, try and find keyboards with different switches at a store to see what ones feel better to you. Some people really like the Blue switches, some really like the Red. It's going to come down to personal preference on which switches you like, and I'd really recommend trying them first if you can.

Or if you can't find any demo models, you can find key testers on Amazon or Ebay, they tend to have a wider range of samples than what most stores will have. Most stores will have the standard black/blue/red/browns, while key testers will include rarer greens/clears/grays/whites(?).

Guys,

Those that have these keyboards could you list the length of the USB cable? Secondly, I am tired of these cheaper wireless keyboards where the key decals wear off in a few months, do the high-end keyboards use decals?

Gigabyte K85 is a very good value option, but if you decide you want to save some money i've now encountered multiple E-Element Mechanical Keyboards (one of which i reviewed) and they seemed very solid and worked well. Blue switches so a bit louder though. Fullsize and ten keyless compact, both were pretty nice and the compact was like only $45. The fullsize being $66.99.

But amongst my friends, the Gigabyte K85 is very popular.

I myself have a K70 RGB LUX which the red switches, its a really nice keyboard
I didnt use the included wrist rest, I just use huge gel one from staples http://www.staples.com/Staples-Deluxe-Gel-Wrist-Rest/product_659884
The enter key I guess is fairly standard? Its about 2 keys long I not sure what you mean by a big enter key
:welcome:
Thank you for the input. The article provided seems to support the Cherry MX line so we are all similar in thought.
I think that might be a bot or something, just seems very spammy with that website

Guys,

Those that have these keyboards could you list the length of the USB cable? Secondly, I am tired of these cheaper wireless keyboards where the key decals wear off in a few months, do the high-end keyboards use decals?

I think most are the standard 6 feet long, rgb keyboard (at least the good ones) will be double injection shot molded, they dont use decals

i have a Logitech g910. they have their own proprietary mechanical switches, that are somewhere between cherry mx reds and browns. aside from the weird keycap shapes, it is a very solid keyboard.

it's lacking in the wrist rest department, and there is no backlight bleed to light up the edges of keys, that aside, it's the best keyboard I've ever owned.I'll go into more detail when i get home

Have used a CM QuickFire TK /w Cherry MX Blue for a couple years now and it's been brilliant both for work and gaming, zero issues and no intentions of switching anytime soon :)

Back