• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help cooling my cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MystD

Registered
I just got an amd fx 9590 and it runs very hot when all 8 cores are used. My air cooler can't keep up and my watercooling system I've build from an old broken cooling system. The integrated pump broke so I just open everything up and added a pump that is outside of the system but that pump also broke and the spare I have can't do it's job. My system
A new pump (Phobya DC12-400) would cost me 40eur but I can also get a Corsair Hydro Series H45 for 50eur. What do you think is best: Use my hackwork system with a new pump, get the H45 or something else?

I still can add a fan to my hackwork but I hope that the case holding the water I've made from those old passive coolers will work.

Last edited:
Bud, that's a 220w chip at stock. A single 120mm cooler using ambient air to cool it, won't keep that thing in check. You bought a big boy chip and need big boy cooling to keep it cool. I would suggest nothing less than a system which has 2x120mm worth of radiator.

As a side note I don't know what mobo you are using but you are going to want to make sure you keep a fan pointed at the vrm's that chip can be hard on a motherboards power delivery system.

From the looks of your image, I wouldn't be surprised if your loops growth and rust killed your pumps.

As ED said, look for a 240mm AIO rad and call it a day. Save up what you need to save up and give it the right cooling. If funds are tough to come by, at least look for a used AIO and make sure you plan ahead for it's installation.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

I just got an amd fx 9590 and it runs very hot when all 8 cores are used. My air cooler can't keep up and my watercooling system I've build from an old broken cooling system. The integrated pump broke so I just open everything up and added a pump that is outside of the system but that pump also broke and the spare I have can't do it's job. My system
A new pump (Phobya DC12-400) would cost me 40eur but I can also get a Corsair Hydro Series H45 for 50eur. What do you think is best: Use my hackwork system with a new pump, get the H45 or something else?

I still can add a fan to my hackwork but I hope that the case holding the water I've made from those old passive coolers will work.

As EarthDog has said you're not going to get the job done with the Corsair H45 you'll be wasting your money you would need at least the Corsair H100i Extreme, and you're not going to accomplish it with the patchwork quilt cooling you have pictured.

So under these circumstances that obviously money is tight for you I am going to suggest this for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-True-Spirit-140-Power/dp/B00IYEEOMO

Why? Because it is a high quality 360w TDP rated heat pipe air cooler.

http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/true_spirit_140_power.html

These are the same coolers I am going to buy to replace the Thermalright 120 TRUEs I am presently using to cool my peltiers in my chilled water cooling so I am confident it can handle your 220w TDP CPU.

And it will be a lot cheaper than the Corsair H100i Extreme will be.

The pipes changed color because I added radiator fluid against algae etc. That rust there is new the pump died half a year before. I tried an old freezer radiator that left some rust coloring there. I'll just cut that part off. My old pump could only do 40C and was at 35 most of the time but it sometimes got over 50 (not for long) so I think it died because of the heat. I already have one radiator with 120 fan (top right corner) I could add another one for 30eur I'd be at 70eur then. Still cheaper than the Corsair H100i Extreme and only a bit more expensive than the Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power.

I have a Saberthooth MB so there should be no problem with the power.

Maybe I could hack my current air cooler into the system? I could drill a hole in it to get water though it or solder copper tubing on it. Or would this be too inefficient?

I also still have these that I can add:

The water container is pure aluminium here is a sideview:

This is the radiator that I tried to use:

The pipes were too small and there was the rust so I unplugged it.

Last edited:
Sry cant 2mb limit but don't worry I'll keep that acc up.

So what do you think is it doable?

Why?

The single one worked for my quadcore flawlessly and I didn't even have the watercontainer made of passive coolers then.

Last edited:
Why?

The single one worked for my quadcore flawlessly and I didn't even have the watercontainer made of passive coolers then.

What quad-core where you using it probably was no where close to the power draw of this chip. Also those passive sinks on the res do very little.

I used an amd phenom 2 before. IC well I had the coolers flying around anyway. But if I buy another radiator I'd have the 2x radiators with the 120 fans. Or is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:
Guess I'm on my own with this.

How so? Did you skip all the responses because I see many questions answered. You're just trying to bypass what was said and don't fully understand the ramifications when it comes to custom watercooling, especially if you're going the mix metal, cheap hack route, etc. Start with reading the water cooling stickies if you want to do this right.

I say either grab the TT air cooler or a EVO 212 Plus or less and call it a day or save up for a year or two for a custom loop or look around for used parts and do it that way.

I just got links to buy new stuff and no it wont work answers. Nobody answered if it'll work if I add another 120 fan and radiator. The only one that mentioned that I need 2x 120 radiators was EarthDog. I also found out that I can get a dual 120 radiator for 30eur so Ill just go with that one plus the single I already have I'd be able to use 3 in my loop.

So I'll be going with that if nobody has to say anything about it.

Last edited:
All you're saying is to add to a already compromised loop and that's after two pumps dying. A lot of these pumps last for years before being replaced and you've gone through two in less than two years? I think you should slow down and read up our stickies and get the basics in and by basics, I don't mean how to attach a clamp to a hose.

Settle in and enjoy the moment. Majority of us veterans did tons of research before making the plunge and we preach to the newcomers to do the same.

Who said that I went through 2 pumps in 2 years? It was 4 Years the first one was the embedded one of a closed system that died after exactly 2 years. I then repaired it with an external pump that is normally used for cooling solar panels which also died after 2 years. But it was a really cheap one that only cost about 20eur. So I just assumed they were build that way. The second one could have died because of the growth but when I talked with the manufacturer he said it was probably the heat. I have aquarium pumps that have deal with a ton of stuff in the water of my aquarium and they don't seem to have any problems with it. If the watercooling pumps are that delicate I'll just get an aquarium pump that can do 3 to 4 meters. I have no clue how that stuff grew in there anyway I used distilled water with the correct amount of radiator fluid. Maybe Ill just use a whole bottle rad fluid next...

Ok so your main concern is the compromised system, does that mean I can't use any of it or that I just need to replace the tubes and/or clean it?

Its good to know that alu is bad for watercooling. The alu container Ive made is luckily in no direct contact with the water. There dosent seem to be a sticky about diy hackwork watercooling.

Any more suggestions on what I need to be carefull of?

Last edited:
So Ive found the Eheim compact+ 3000 it can do the 3meters that I need and is an aquarium pump so it shouldnt have any problems with algae like the watercooling pumps. It also costs less than the watercooling ones.
Im now at 30 for the pump and 30 for the radiator that is the same price as the air cooler. If nobody has anything to add Ill be going for that approach.

I've also looked up the Galvanic corrosion very interesting, so the Corsair closed system I bought 4 years ago is pretty ****ty as it uses copper on the cpu and the radiator is aluminium. So I have to go aluminium only or copper only.
Good thing the new radiator is copper I'll just discard the old radiator then. The copper hasn't corroded after 4 years of usage though, so I guess it isn't in direct contact with the aluminium. I also won't use my alu watercointainer, Ill just use the glass one I used before.

Last edited:
There dosent seem to be a sticky about diy hackwork watercooling.

Any more suggestions on what I need to be carefull of?

Most of the earlier DIY water cooling used some style of automotive type radiators and adapted them to be used on a PC.

You did picture a Corsair 120 The other so called radiator you pictured in that last picture was an evaporator coil off the back of a refrigerator which is not even designed for water.

You do not seem to realize you're cooling pretty much the hottest running CPU AMD has and many that have gone seriously elaborate cooling it, are still coming up a little on the short side.

But you want to hack together a cooling setup with the cheapest parts you can find whether they are made to cool a computer or not.

I still suggest instead of spending or wasting anymore money on trivial components that may or may not even work to simply go with the Thermalright True Spirit 140 I suggested to you.

And sir with all due respect, for me to even suggest an air cooler to you in the water cooling section, is suggesting it in your best interests, trust me!

Using an air one would throw me back 60 eur I'd rather invest that in a watercooling system that I can upgrade gradually. I've already got 4x 120mm fans flying around that are in top shape. I've been running my computer watercooled for 4 years and I'm not really fond of the air one I currently use which I only bought as quick fix. I dont trust the closed system ones even if they are easy to use ever since the one I bought died really fast and it cost me over 100eur at the time. So my only option is to diy it and I'll do so with or without your help. The only reason I mentioned the Corsair Hydro Series H45 is because it's dirt cheap and I wouldn't mind if it died after 2 years.

So I guess I was right about being on my own with this. Thanks for the warning and all but I guess I'll just have to find out for myself since none of you want to share your exp. I'm not asking for anyone to write a tutorial just a quick mention like GTXJackBauer did with the mixing metals is enough for me to do my research. But since I lack the prof. knowledge I don't even know what too look out for. I acknowledge that I was a bit naive with mixing the alu and testing the evaporator but Ive already watched/read tuts on fatal mistakes now and it seems the mixing of the copper and alu is the worst one and the rest isn't as fatal. To my defense the evaporator looked like it was alu that is why I tried it but I also only used it like 10 min. in a testing environment.

Last edited:
Back