• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me OC my I5 6600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Czajnik

Registered
Hello there!

I tried asking for help on Polish forums, no luck there..

My stuff:

Intel Core i5-6600K
Asus Z170 PRO GAMING (1904v BIOS)
Sapphire RADEON R9 380X Nitro Dual-X
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8GB 3000MHz CL15
SSD Crucial MX200 500GB
SilentiumPC Grandis cooler
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Aquarius X70W Pure Black case

So the deal is, I can't make it anynear stable. Most of the time, even if it is stable, the temperature are killing me.

Now I've set CPU core ratio on sync-all 42 with CPU voltage to manual 1.3. Got DiGi VRM set to level 4 and on OCCT with 15 min Large Data set it went to 86C a few times, on Small Data I bet it would be even worse.

Thermalpaste was set good I belive (2x done it with a stick, then third time I used X methode which lowered idle temps by ~10 C..)

Any help would be great, I'm realy in a dot right now and I almost regret I didn't go with non K cpu.

What fans do you have and where are they in the case?
Do you have temp and stability issues at stock?

2 x front, one back (Sigma Pro 120 mm).

I'm doing OCCT on stock right now (well volt on 1.25 I belive, to not be on auto), and temps go to low 80 C (open case now, becouse had to do something, but they were simillar on closed). I don't have a clue why? My cooler is not so bad, cables are all behind moba, fans go on highest speed.. I'm ordering 4x 140 fans next week, but still the temps are to high for this setup.

I was looking at peoples voltage on 6600k and some say they go easly under 1.2, others say I should go past 1.3.

Little update.. I've set core ratio to 40 and voltage to 1.200, temps are high 70s now, tried ratio 40 and voltage 1.21, but got bluescreen on 4th minute of OCCT. So now I know it's my doing in BIOS, not the hardware problem (I belive..)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my, sorry for spam, but I can't find edit post button..
*ratio 42 and voltage 1.21

I checked it few hours ago (I wanted to check if I didn't damage CPU somehow). I built this set 18 days ago and cooler was moved like 6 times already, was trying to find the couse of those high temperatures. I'm a newb to OC, so I bet I'm doing something bad in BIOS (or not doing something needed).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, don't know if it helps but when I 1st set XMP for my rams (they are 3000mhz) the temperature went like 20 degree up, but then voltage was on auto

Around 25 C latly, but was below 20 at night when my temps got to ~70.

Well on OCCT Large Data (which gives me below 75C after I screwed the screws a bit harder) my radiator is still at room temperatures I belive (it should burn me a bit at 75C on CPU, right?)

Can you post a few pictures of where the tower is sitting and inside the tower as well?

Oh, and I have an old r7 250 GPU, becouse my r9 380x got burned while using to low PSU, but I don't belive it matter while we talk about CPU temps.

Going forward, can you post the pictures on the forum instead of Photobucket please?

What happens if you actually run with the side panel and top cover installed?
Leaving the case open can cause dead spots where heat just builds up.

Can you take a few pictures of the thermal paste spread when you remove the CPU cooler?
Both the base of the heatsink and the CPU itself.

To be 100% clear, you're having these temperature issues with the BIOS set to defaults, correct?

Ah sorry, registration confirmation email was coming very long time, and before it I could only post pics only by link.

Side and top panel are installed, just took them off for photos and check if radiator is hot. On core ratio 40 and manual voltage 1.200 in OCCT:CPU (Large data) it had 68-71 C and when I installed panels it rised to 75 C.

I flashed BIOS from v1206 which was even less stable (got freezes in BIOS even).

I've changed:
Core Ratio to sync-all 40
Voltage from auto to manual 1.200
And can't find the right name, but there was an option in DiGi VRAM I belive, I set level 5 of Linear something (it was about droping vcore I think)

RAM are 3000mhz, but I didn't set them there.. Not using XMP, as I want to make stable CPU right now, they run on 2133 right now.

I've to run now, so pics of the thermalpaste I will upload later, and few other pics, that exceed forum limit (some are bigger than 2mb)

IMG_20160822_153757.jpg IMG_20160822_154143.jpg IMG_20160822_154517.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and on BIOS set to default the temps are simillar (on auto voltage sometimes even bigger)

If you're getting temp increases that easily it's very possibly an airflow issue.

Are both fans on the heatsink moving air the same direction?
When will you have the 140mm fans?

Yes, both fans work on the good way (sticker is on the same side that the back fan, all are the same fans)

140s will be in 3-4 days, this computer costed me almost 2x my sallary... :D So I need to save some cash for those fans. (aiming for 5x (or 4x, need to check if back supports 140 mm too) BitFenix Spectre Pro 140mm). You can't see good on this photos, but the case is clear, no cables, even smaller GPU now than r9 380x.. From 2x front, 2 on heatsink and 1 back all go one way.

- - - Updated - - -

Got two questions:

Cold heatsink on ~85 C of CPU doesn't mean I messed up something with cooler?

Those high max stress temperatures don't mean I messed up (or didn't do) something in BIOS?

One more newb question.. when I've got my mobo did I need to do something with it other than plug all case, PSU and hardware cables? Like put some jumpers or something? All should be placed right already in the box, right?

If the BIOS is set to "Optimized Defaults" then it isn't something you changed in the BIOS.

Potential issues with the cooler can be determined more easily by seeing the thermal paste.
Did you tighten down the screws on the heatsink mounting until they bottomed out and stopped turning?

Oh my.. While doing photos of the paste and repasting CPU.. rather than doing X and making it to cover all CPU, I've put "half of a rice" dot, didn't even check if it spread all across the unit.. now got max 50 on large data OCCT test. I used a better screwdriver too, had only one small and long enought to fit between the towers, but it was to small for the screws. Maybe that helped too. Thanks a lot ATMINSIDE :D

Here are the photos of my paste tho, for future newb overclockers.. don't over do it guys!

IMG_20160822_195210.jpg IMG_20160822_195219.jpg IMG_20160822_195221.jpg IMG_20160822_195225.jpg IMG_20160822_195233.jpg

But then again, the topic is still on..

Could you tell me some basic info (I've read tutorials, it's to much information for me tho), like I know I should play with ratio and voltage to make minimal voltage with biggest ratio and to make it stable (I aim for 4.4 or 4.5 for everyday usage), but are there any other things I could or should look at?

Now that your temps are solved (woohoo!) we can move on to OCing :)

Go ahead and set XMP and then double check your stability.

A good starting point for a CPU overclock would be 4.5 @ 1.3V for you.
Test there, see if it's somewhat stable and keep your temps under ~90°C.
If it's stable, jump up to 4.6.
If it isn't, bump up vCore slowly (0.01V increments) until you stabilize.

Rinse and repeat until you get up to around 1.4V or 90°C.

Back