• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loop getting really hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ankalol

Registered
Hey, i just bought a watercooling kit used. its this kit: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-h3o-240-hfx. The only change is that i swiched the reservoir to a 250mm tube. I also bought aplhacool waterblock for my gpu: http://www.alphacool.com/shop/grafi...xxos-gpx-ati-r9-390-m02-mit-backplate-schwarz. My cabinet is quite small, so i actually had to cut it in order to get room for everything.
Anyways i got the full loop working, but it seems like somethings wrong. When playing Overwatch i get 95c gpu and 65c cpu at just high settings. i have 150-200+ fps, and it sometimes falls down and up some times.
The pump produces alot of noise, ive already gone mad from it, so my guess would be that the pump is not working right?
Ive bleeded it for air, no leaks and it seems to be working alright. The flowdirection is: Res, pump, rad, cpu and gpu.

So my question is if any of you could tell me if it really is the pumps fault, or lack of radiators? i guess it could be because of i mounted the gpu block not right, but i used alot of time on it, and i really think its done right.
Hope you could help me guys, also added some pictures of my loop.

Flow should be from the pump to the CPU/GPU, then the rad, back to the res.

Loop order is inconsequential as long as the res is before the pump.

Can you list full system specs of your components and host the pictures locally.

Best guess until we get better info is you have a twofold problem.

1: A 240 rad is normally not enough to cool both a cpu and gpu loop.

2: The mount of your gpu cooler may need to be redone.

Loop order is inconsequential as long as the res is before the pump.

Can you list full system specs of your components and host the pictures locally.

Best guess until we get better info is you have a twofold problem.

1: A 240 rad is normally not enough to cool both a cpu and gpu loop.

2: The mount of your gpu cooler may need to be redone.

All this, plus one.

Thx for replies. I have listed my specs in my profile, dunno if it shows on post, so il type it again: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z, Intel i7 2600k 3.4Ghz, MSI 390x 8gb, 16gb 2000mhz ram, 700w psu.
Its too bad i diddnt buy a flowmeter, so i could refer to that, cuz i really feel like the pump could be the reason for the temperature. Because even if i added another 120rad, could it really cool the gpu another 20-30c? And do you see 65c on the cpu to be a "normal" watercooled temperature for a CPU? I have done no overclocking btw.

- - - Updated - - -

The pump is making about 50-60 dB btw.... really annoying

Two new questions. When you assembled the loop did you flush and clean the components before assembling it and are what are you using as a coolant?

As for the 65c cpu temp it could be that high if the radiator is not able to remove the heat well. I'm more worried about the 95c you are seeing on the gpu. Do you see the temps you listed above immediately when you start playing or do they gradually creep up to there the longer you run the system?

I did flush the radiator, but did nothing to the cpu block or the pump. I am using this coolant: http://www.aquatuning.no/vannkjolin.../mayhems-aurora-2-red-konzentrat-250ml?c=7780
Mixed after instrustions, 250ml coolant, and 750ml destilled water. Its the gpu who worries me aswell, it doesnt creep up, when i start overwatch its at maybe 60c (abt 45idle) and then rapidly rises to 85-95c. It stays at that temperature +-10c during the whole gaming session.

Sounds like a bad mount. I would start with remounting that block and see what you get. I would also look at another 240 rad down the road to add to the system.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh if you do pull the block take a picture of the block and gpu before cleaning the Tim off. That will help us tell real quick What was going on between the block and gpu.

Alright, thanx for the help, i will probably dismount the gpu next week then, will post pictures!

- - - Updated - - -

The pump is making about 50-60 dB btw.... really annoying

Pump should not be this loud. I'd be looking into this first.

Also, better pics please, because I would swear that your inlet and outlets on the pump are backwards. Meaning your whole loop is running the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Its the right way, otherwise it would be impossible to fill :'D direction is res - pump - rad - cpu - gpu. The coolant i use makes it very easy to confirm that. And yes its really loud, I could post a vid of it running tomorrow.

Not impossible. Seen it done before. That's why I asked.

Pump noise is usually either trapped air or bad pump.
You don't have that pump mounted upside down do you?

I have now uploaded a video of my system:
And to Mr.Scott: its mounted sideways, dont know if that makes any difference? I can maks the pump a little quieter if i press it harder to the radiator, or better if i put some doublesided tape. Eventuelt tho the noise Will measure at 45-50db. Sorry for bad eng, hope you guys could further assist me, really apriciate the help!

I can add that the radiatorfans is pushing air from inside the cabinet, and outwards

Can you please host the pics locally as it is much easier for everyone to see what is going on and then we will not lose the pictures down the road when the links get broken. Use the button in the below picture to attach pictures.
photo button.png

As for the mount on the gpu it does not look like you had a real good mount there in my opinion. What method did you use to apply the paste? It appears as if you spread it on the gpu and then tried to mount the block. You may want to try a single line and or a pea sized drop in the center of the gpu.

Ah lol i diddnt see i could upload there :'D tried to figure out how to upload on my profilem but figured it was because i havent completed the registration. (never get the email) Anyways it wasnt mounted good as you said, but i reaplied paste, and now im doing ultra settings, and both my cpu and gpu are at max 69c. Still feel its a little high though? probably need another rad for lower temp.

Anyways thanx for your help, really appreciate it! :D

Ah lol i diddnt see i could upload there :'D tried to figure out how to upload on my profilem but figured it was because i havent completed the registration. (never get the email) Anyways it wasnt mounted good as you said, but i reaplied paste, and now im doing ultra settings, and both my cpu and gpu are at max 69c. Still feel its a little high though? probably need another rad for lower temp.

Anyways thanx for your help, really appreciate it! :D

Another rad will definitely help. That gpu is a 275w gpu and that is a 95w gpu giving you a total of 370 watts to deal with. The general rule of thumb is 120mm of rad for every 100 watts so I would be looking at adding another 240mm rad minimum to bring your temps to were they should be.

Back