• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 970 random 5fps in games, can't figure out why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paper Anvil

ive had my PC for about 6 months now and just recently have been getting 5 fps in some of my games for about 10 seconds, my cpu is overclocked to 4.0 ghz and i'm wondering if my gpu is becoming defective early on

ive had my PC for about 6 months now and just recently have been getting 5 fps in some of my games for about 10 seconds, my cpu is overclocked to 4.0 ghz and i'm wondering if my gpu is becoming defective early on

Can you list your full system specs? RAM, CPU, etc. And what monitor are you using? Also, just curious, what games are you seeing the drops in?

Any recent software changes?

Last edited:
Can you list your full system specs? RAM, CPU, etc. And what monitor are you using? Also, just curious, what games are you seeing the drops in?

Any recent software changes?[/QUOT

i have a i5 4690k overclocked to 4ghz, 240gb ssd with windows 10, aio watercooler from corsair, 16gb hyperx fury 1866mhz, 750 watt EVGA supernova 80+gold power supply, msi z97s krait gaming, enthoo luxe case
no recent software changes
and i'm experiencing it mostly on gta v and black ops 3

my fps will be perfectly fine then all of a sudden drops to 1-5 fps and stays like that for 10-15 seconds. then is perfectly fine like nothing happened
my monitor is a acer 1080p 60hertz

Do you have "Prefer Maximum Performance" selected in the NVIDIA Control Panel?

What are the temperatures of the CPU and GPU when this happen?

Install Precision X and see what the GPU temps are and if necessary, change the fan profile to cool it.

What games?

No Man's Skies, as an example, does this, whatever the GPU, due to "unoptimized" coding.

got an update sorry for the long wait, upgraded to a 1070 to see if that was the issue. and it only happens every once and a while, and everytime t does the cpu is maxed out at 100% load. my guess is the 1070 makes up for the cpu just a bit more than the 970 so it happens less. is my cpu bottlenecking?

What is your CPU utilization at idle? It should be 0-3% and watch it for 1 minute to see if it spikes.

Back