• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN Party Gaming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

My friends and I have sort of cobbled together a core group of people and formed our own crew, the Coalition Gaming Crew (sorry if you find it cheesy lol). I've been hosting LAN parties at my house (with the occasional guest host at another house) for several years now and have only recently gotten more into picture/video of all that (especially under our crew name), and thought i'd share with you all. Would love for this to be a sort of LAN party chitchat/sharing thread. A quick search didnt give me much results. Wasn't sure if this was the right subforum, maybe i can have a mod move it if some of y'all think it goes somewhere else. Anyways, we have alot more of the previous LAN party pics on our instagram page if you all want to have a look.

https://www.instagram.com/coalitiongamingcrew/?hl=en

and be sure to check out our main youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CoalitionGamesCrew

Here are the recent LAN Party videos though!

So lets see it! If you're a PC Gamer, especially an old school PC Gamer, would be cool to see and read about all your guy's past fun with LAN parties.

edit: can't include the 2nd video just yet due to posting restrictions...

the last few years i had a bi montly lan that stopped like a year ago :\ everyone only wanted to ever play league of legends which isnt horrible but i got burnt out on it and no one ever wanted to play shooters because they "belong on colsoles" aka they didnt want to get their butts kicked. lol.

also if you havent looked into it, lancache is super nice for steam games, it caches the downloads locally so once its downloaded everyone else downloads at gigabit speeds basically.

the last few years i had a bi montly lan that stopped like a year ago :\ everyone only wanted to ever play league of legends which isnt horrible but i got burnt out on it and no one ever wanted to play shooters because they "belong on colsoles" aka they didnt want to get their butts kicked. lol.

also if you havent looked into it, lancache is super nice for steam games, it caches the downloads locally so once its downloaded everyone else downloads at gigabit speeds basically.

bi-monthly? I run mine once a season, or every three months. You're a madman! Sucks about how all they wanted to play was league though. Who the hell thinks FPS games belong on consoles....wow lol.

Thanks for the tip on Lancache though. Will definitely look into that.

Heres the other video we did:

Oh, forgot to update the thread with the 2nd video of our summer LAN party. This edit was done by my friend Wayne aka Weezinator, cofounder of the channel with me.

Wow nice setup you got there.
Been years since I did my last Lan Party. Typically it was between me and 2 other guys. Had to supply a friend with a PC but typical games we use to play was CS with Bots, Ghost Recon co-op against the AI in insane missions (100-200+ baddies), RTS games, etc. We've all wanted to do another but families, houses, and older age haha. We can't just setup for a weekend and play games like we use to. Heck I'm the night owl out of my group of friends staying up to 12-1am on a work night.

Wow nice setup you got there.
Been years since I did my last Lan Party. Typically it was between me and 2 other guys. Had to supply a friend with a PC but typical games we use to play was CS with Bots, Ghost Recon co-op against the AI in insane missions (100-200+ baddies), RTS games, etc. We've all wanted to do another but families, houses, and older age haha. We can't just setup for a weekend and play games like we use to. Heck I'm the night owl out of my group of friends staying up to 12-1am on a work night.

Thanks.
Yeah its tough figuring out a date that works for everyone's schedules. Most of the people in this group don't have kids or too many significant obligations. We are still young i guess!

Hopefully we can persist beyond all that when the time comes! :)

Biggest issue getting others to LANS is that High-speed Internet is so prevalent these days, nobody wants to get to the in-person social aspect of it anymore. Which is a shame. Finding a regular venue is also a pain if you don't have a reliable set of people coming in so that the organizers aren't losing their shirts hosting.

It's kinda the reason there's no regular LANS in Chi-town anymore. (that I know of at least)

That, or the infighting between different lan parties. :(

Well we've got another LAN party on the 22nd coming up. BF1 release LAN party! And also probably a little RB6: Siege and definitely some Trackmania Nations Forever. Cant wait. Wish us luck with those BF1 servers though lol. We will probably add GoW4 to the rotation soon too.

Heres the trackmania footage I recorded from the previous LAN party.

Biggest issue getting others to LANS is that High-speed Internet is so prevalent these days, nobody wants to get to the in-person social aspect of it anymore. Which is a shame. Finding a regular venue is also a pain if you don't have a reliable set of people coming in so that the organizers aren't losing their shirts hosting.

It's kinda the reason there's no regular LANS in Chi-town anymore. (that I know of at least)

That, or the infighting between different lan parties. :(

Aside from other social/family obligations, the biggest thing I noticed is that many of the people I used to play with end up with mammoth rigs that are a nightmare to transport. A full tower case and 27" monitor, along with mouse/keyboard/headset/cables/etc just ends up being a hassle to move from house to house. When we do still play now, we typically set up a chat channel and just play together at our own houses.

This is exactly what we do and just run Discord either through our PC's, tablets or phones.

its not near as fun though, at least at our lan parties it usually ends up in everyone drinking and yelling at their pc's and eachother pizza and snacks for everyone it's a lot of work to setup usually but totally worth.

What city do you guys run your LAN's out of? R U looking for new members?

Riverside, CA. I wouldn't call our membership "private" as its just us friends usually, though we are definitely welcoming of new guests/attendees assuming there is enough room. Where are you from?

its not near as fun though, at least at our lan parties it usually ends up in everyone drinking and yelling at their pc's and eachother pizza and snacks for everyone it's a lot of work to setup usually but totally worth.

Thats the truth right there! Totally worth it.

That is absolutely the best part about lan parties.

Riverside, CA. I wouldn't call our membership "private" as its just us friends usually, though we are definitely welcoming of new guests/attendees assuming there is enough room. Where are you from?

Thats the truth right there! Totally worth it.

We used to have a LAN gaming community in Orange County. For a while they even had rented a back room at a PC bang that was theirs to use whenever they wanted.

I've been trying to find venues on my own to re-start the LAN gaming community here in OC.

We used to have a LAN gaming community in Orange County. For a while they even had rented a back room at a PC bang that was theirs to use whenever they wanted.

I've been trying to find venues on my own to re-start the LAN gaming community here in OC.

Wow thats pretty cool. What a small world though right? So far our "venues" have just been my house and 2 other friend's houses. I don't see us growing so much to the point of needing to rent a space out, but definitely have pushed the limits and considered it. Even considered contacting all the local tech companies (and there are alot in SoCal) to seek sponsorship to possibly run an annual super large LAN party at a hall or hotel or something. I looked into the logistics of that and got turned off to the idea though.

If you do find a way to get an OC LAN community fired back up, would be cool to do an annual IE vs OC LAN Party Showdown event!

Our next LAN party is tomorrow! Cant wait!

BF1, Trackmania Nations Forever, RB6:Siege (possibly), and Unreal Tournament here we come!

Was thinking of finding a way to stream it, but im not sure how to set that up and be entertaining enough. Simplest way is gamescreen/webcam but that doesn't really show off the LAN party much. I had this grand idea of multiple people's screens and webcams routed into one stream that would crossfade from station to station, and a cam mounted higher up that can see all the action. No clue on how to set this up, but initial research shows that mixers that could control these kind of multiple inputs are EXPENSIVE.

Any ideas on that?

Last edited:
Back