• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a new video card make a difference with old cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beavis

I have an older computer with a dual-core Pentium E6500 @2.93GHZ overclocked to 3.3GHZ and 8GB of ram. I bought a EVGA Geforce 750 ti and was hoping I can play World of Warcraft on med-high settings. I'm having to go below medium settings because my FPS is too low. The improvement over my 4-yr old ATI video card was minimal. Overclocking the cpu did help some. Will a better video card make any difference or is my cpu just too much of a bottleneck?

cpu is your bottleneck buddy. even a quad 775 cpu @~4ghz would help quite a bit, but also a super cheap 1155 i5 would help you a ton if you are on a budget.

Last edited:
Looks like my options are limited to ebay. The best I could find is a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz 6M/1333. Then I'd have to upgrade my ram to 1333MHZ from 800MHZ FSB. Then overlock the cpu. You think that might get me just enough speed to get to medium settings because I'm almost there with what I have?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...934562?hash=item5d433b8c62:g:TOAAAOSwUV9Wo4Lt

e8400 is a dual core, you wouldnt have to change your memory either. but a Q8300+ would help you quite a bit. like i said a new second gen i5 or i3 with some ram and mobo on ebay can be had pretty cheap and would give you a big boost. another c2d isnt going to help at all.

You need a Quad core CPU for all the overhead not for the game. Try overclocking to 3.8Ghz.

Last edited:
You need a Quad core CPU for all the overhead not for the game. Try overclocking to 3.8Ghz.

Normally I don't like to push my machine to the wall but I was able to get to 3.5GHZ stable. Don't really want to push it any further due to the age of the cpu. The results have been incredible. When I logged into World of Warcraft I noticed right away my FPS increased by about 30%. So I adjusted the video settings up to medium (turned down shadows, lighting, and some other things I don't need) and now it feels smooth. My FPS aren't jumping all over the place like it did before. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Last edited:
Im not sure about Wow in particular, but alot of games will use at least 4 cores.

To the op, You can grab a q6600 off ebay for $13. When you decide to upgrade, (you should move to an i5 2ng gen or newer), but if you insist on staying socket 775 the q6600 is a sweet spot for cost/performance imo. I am putting together a q6600 rig and building an ultra cheap i5 rig atm actually. Im just curious what the q6600 can do really, all but the cpu I already had (it has a e6700 in it right now.)

Seriously though, optiplex 790 from ebay is right around $100 with a i5 2400 4 gb ram, 750 gb hdd ect. It + Modern gpu + power supply + another 4gb ram = WIN for just over $200

Im paying a little more on the rig Im getting to move to a 3470 (3rd gen i5) and 16gb of ram included, plus its local so can see it before I buy it. Probably not worth the extra $70 tbh, but not far off.

Back