• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Push/Pull or Push or Pull and thicker rad? Which and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
So I am finally making progress with my new case build.

I am how ever at a cross roads point with picking rads.

I would like to hear what you guys would pick, and why?

Options:

1 - Push/Pull with 30mm thick rad.

2 - Push with 60mm thick rad.

3 - Pull with 60mm thick rad.

Current system is setup with Push/pull, but new case is a serious size downgrade.

Im not really looking for advice, but more of opinions on why you would go one way or the other?

I'm using an XSPC RX360 rad that's 60mm thick. Using only 3 bitfenix fans in a push config from the top down since my rad is mounted ontop, and cooling just my cpu. My temps during heavy loads don't exceed 46-48c. My fan speeds are set to medium and I can't even hear them.

I might have to redo the TIM to get better temps as it's been a while.

Up to you Pierre. If you want the most out of your deltas, run P/P or just go with low FPI 60mm rads on pull as I've heard push creates a dead spot. Maybe even adding a small shroud might help as well.

That was all in general but in all reality, can't really say what exactly you should go with since we don't know the components, loop and power being dissipated.

Up to you Pierre. If you want the most out of your deltas, run P/P or just go with low FPI 60mm rads on pull as I've heard push creates a dead spot. Maybe even adding a small shroud might help as well.

That was all in general but in all reality, can't really say what exactly you should go with since we don't know the components, loop and power being dissipated.

The question is more aimed at your personal pref, and why :)

I do not like radiators mounted on exhaust ports (top and back) b/c increase restriction on rising hot case air ;) Mount the radiator in the front, either with Push config or Push/Pull config space-permitting using high SP fans. Don't like the idea of pulling air through case shroud, fan filter, radiator, into case. Prefer to have fans placed on other side of fan filter where they are intended. I currently use 4x Fractal Design HP14s on my Kraken x61. Place one side-fan or bottom-fan for taking in cold air outside case. Rest of fans on top and back of case should be low noise or under-volted for neutral / postiive pressure.

What case are you using?

Last edited:
The question is more aimed at your personal pref, and why :)

I don't prefer anything until I know what my hardware is. ;)

Clearly you will, generally, get better performance out of a thicker rad with decent fans. Push or pull doesn't tend to matter much (in the stickies).

I like to have more rads than what is considered as necessary: I can then use few fans at low rpm's.

Push or pull is more a matter of airflow in the case.

Push + Pull on thin rads, Push or Pull on thick rads.

I have 2 Yate loon mediums in pull and 2 Bitfinex in push on the Blackice GTS280 rad (thin, 30mm) and 3 Yate loon highs in pull on the XSPC RX360 v2. (Thick 60mm)

Push + Pull on every rad if you want the best preformance though IMO!

Not originally one of the options but I prefer the 45MM thick rads. I normally will stay away from push/pull(I don't feel the cost of extra fans is worth the performance gain) and will use either push or pull based on what fits in the case better.

I don't prefer anything until I know what my hardware is. ;)

Clearly you will, generally, get better performance out of a thicker rad with decent fans. Push or pull doesn't tend to matter much (in the stickies).

End of the day, i dont feel hardware matters, as its down to a space issue, but non the less, all the hardware is in my signature. Changes will be to case and watercooling, all parts remain the same.

But i was still looking for that personal opinion, as you will always get that one users with reasons for going a different direction. Which is what interests me.

The hardware matters. Certain orientations perform better than others (like push/pull typically does). So if you are under radded, one may go with p/p. Get my drift on why it that matters?

If space is the issue, you would know as you have the case and know what works in those spaces. A user's preference here really doesn't matter. It's what fits and what works. ;)

Good luck Pierre!

The hardware matters. Certain orientations perform better than others (like push/pull typically does). So if you are under radded, one may go with p/p. Get my drift on why it that matters?

If space is the issue, you would know as you have the case and know what works in those spaces. A user's preference here really doesn't matter. It's what fits and what works. ;)

Good luck Pierre!

For me, i always like to hear peoples reasons for going one way or the other. I dont have the case yet, its coming tomorrow, and so far, i havnet been able to find a single project with as much water as i want, i can only go by measurements. Only things i ahve found is people using closed loops.

I am keeping the whole build offline until its done, not that i think its going to be special, but thats how i planned it this time around. Only thing that is staying from my current loop is CPU block, GPU blocks and 1x D5 pump.

My choice was all due to space. I have a 64mm rad in the front with push pull as I had plenty of fans laying around and the top is push only on a 30mm rad. If I had the room I'd do push pull on the top bit as is I have maybe 3mm clearance

It doesn't matter what or why other people chose whatever as they don't have your case or setup. So to use our experience, in this case, really doesn't help you unless they have the same case and cooling requirements.

Your decision should be based off your requirements, performamce facts, and what fits in your case (found at their website). Again people choose pull, push, or push/pull more for fitment reasons than performance (which was covered here).

I have almost the same case, almost the same CPU but only one GPU and a little less raddage (2x280 and 1x140).

I use push/pull at the front on a 280 (intake), pull on the top on a 280 (exhaust) and pull on the rear (exhaust). All rads are 25mm (H240x) to 30mm (280+140).

Fans run between 20 and 50% max, except during stress [email protected] where I run them full speed.

With a 23/24c ambient, the CPU never goes over 80c (1.32v), and the GPU never above 42c (1.32v).

It doesn't matter what or why other people chose whatever as they don't have your case or setup. So to use our experience, in this case, really doesn't help you unless they have the same case and cooling requirements.

Your decision should be based off your requirements, performamce facts, and what fits in your case (found at their website). Again people choose pull, push, or push/pull more for fitment reasons than performance (which was covered here).

Let says i have already made my choice, but still would like to know what people prefer, would this make you stop telling me its irrelevant? Because i still just want to hear what people say, and have to say about what they think, and use, and why.

I've heard that depending on the fans you use, sometimes pulling air through a rad will end up being louder that push. I think the reasoning is because the fans are designed to force the surrounding air through them, and the surrounding air in push is allowed to enter the fan from any direction, while in push it's forced into the fan in a strait line through the radiator. This causes audible turbulence. In that case, it makes sense that push/pull would end up being slightly noisier than push, given the same fan speeds.

I stuck with push on my rads for this reason, as my goal was a cool and quiet computer. That's also why I went a little overboard on raddage.

Back