• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad SATA Cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechWizard

I got home today from work to find my computer unable to find it's boot device. I immediately figured Windows was at fault and somehow glitched itself from being seen, but alas the BIOS revealed that indeed my main SSD was not being detected.

I quickly swapped the power and data cables from my secondary to my primary and it booted straight into Windows. I then swapped the data cable from SATA1 to SATA0 on the motherboard to make sure the port wasn't bad and again got into Windows no problem.

Low and behold it appears the SATA cable went bad. I've never seen a cable "randomly" go bad ever in all my years so I'm a little perturbed.

Should this be cause for concern? I'm glad the issue was a simple fix, but now I'm slightly worried that maybe my motherboard could have an issue? That seems farfetched, but I'm wondering if anybody has ever experienced the same thing with a new motherboard? This MB is going on only 3 months and it happened to be "the last one" at MicroCenter sitting out on a table. I'm paranoid they sold me something they knew had minor issues.

It's possible it was a loose connection from vibration.
Check the SMART data on the SSD to be sure, but it should all be fine.

I have had SATA cables go bad. On cheap ones I have had the connector split out on the corner so as not to make good contact with the male connections on the drive. I have also seen them fail where people were trying to clean up their cable mess and applied too much pressure with zip ties to a cable that was doubled over, this pinching the wires off inside the sheath. But these are both results of physical force problems.

It happens.. its rare, but like anything, it can go bad...

or be loose which seemingly wasn;t confirmed?

I just wasn't that detailed. The first thing I really did was unplug and re-plug the device in and try to boot back up. I don't think it was loose from vibration. I tried to use the same cable on my secondary afterwards and it wouldn't show up.

Yeah it does happen. I had a SATA cable stop working on me because I pulled on it too hard. It was one of those 90 degree ones and I couldn't see it, so I was trying to pull it straight out. :facepalm:

Back