• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Buying A New Router.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaosmachine420

I am in the market for a new router for one that can handle at most 4 major wireless devices at one time along with a few wired connections. The wireless devices 3 of the 4 either are streaming Netflix or YouTube videos occasionally other type of video media. I should also add the house that I am in is old most likely has lead paint in the walls along with other odd things that could mess with the signal levels. I use the wired connections for online game and hosting a small gaming server. The router might need to be easy to operate for less tech savvy people that might have to use it in the end. I have no clue how much a router that could handle all that without any hiccups or major slow downs that I am experiencing with my current router would cost, but I also have no definite budget numbers that I can give you as of this moment.

What about a router then wiring in a good wireless access point near your devices?

What about a router then wiring in a good wireless access point near your devices?

Exact same thought process I had. It sounds like you could use a decent wireless router with an additional AP or two depending on the size/layout of the house and how signal reaches.

I was told its about 20 to 30 feet between the furthest point of each device and they are most are towards the same direction. The only odd one is like 10 feet away, so I cant say if I would need the access points.

Honestly depending on what your looking for as far as connections.... I just picked up a 5 port ubiquiti edgerouter x Which is amazing.. for 54.50 cheapest layer 2 router i have found and its fully customizable... you could add a Ubiquiti Access Point to that for another 59.95 and have a pretty sweet set up. Even use the POE off the router and not have to worry about adding a POE injector.

I just figured it out the hard way. luckily amazon is awesome about returns and i was able to exchange routers and all in ones till i found what i liked.

I dont think having that kind of setup would be good for the less tech savvy here I would think the all in one kinds of routers would be better for them.

Linksys is historically good. Double check the model with some review sites (not Newegg/Amazon, but actual reviews) to make sure there are no glaring issues.

When I was doing research couple of sites said, " if you had multiple devices the AC3200 router would be better". I haven't come across anything that tells me what number is too much for each AC router number. I have at very most 4 devices that run on the 5.0 GHz signal if everything I read is right about the devices in the house. The other 4 devices (2 cant say will run on the 5.0 signal) run on the 2.4 GHz signal. The other 2 of which not sure if they could use the 5.0 GHz signal I would like to know about the other 2 that I wasn't sure about if they can handle the 5.0 GHz signal Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 and Sony BPD-BX110. Would that be considered to many devices just WiFi alone much for AC1900 or AC3200?

Back