• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Options for a 4k Nvidia Card? (HTPC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intellem2

Registered
I have a business class 8300 Elite Desk SFF that I am using for a media room. What would be the cheapest solution to obtain 4k output with a low profile solution? I'll be using Display Port if possible.

My apologies, this is strictly for media playing. i want to play 4k videos, 4k blurays, stream 4k videos and so on. Not for gaming at all! :)

My apologies, this is strictly for media playing. i want to play 4k videos, 4k blurays, stream 4k videos and so on. Not for gaming at all! :)

Basically the cheapest card that will support 4096 x 2160 will do. Playing videos requires very little GPU processing power and memory. My GPU basically sits at idle when playing videos full screen (in 1080p). If it's PCI-E with at least 1GB RAM and supports 4096 x 2160, it will play what you need.

The 750ti I posted above had display port and meets the small form factor requirement. I had trouble finding a gtx950 in a small form factor.

But yea if display port is a requirement your choices will be limited.

A 750 will definitely do it, but if you want something more than basic upscaling (you will!), a somewhat more powerful GPU is nice to have. Something like a 1060 might be cheap enough and be plenty powerful or you can look for a cheap 960 or wait for the 1050. It all depends on how much of a videophile you are.

You can get one of those adapters to move the GPU outside the case so you have more options.
https://smile.amazon.com/Express-to16x-Extender-Adapter-15Pin-4Pin/dp/B01D4U2GYK

AMD is a poor choice for high end video playback. They at least support VDPAU nowadays, but I don't think they have implemented the high quality scalers. The real dealbreaker is that the driver quality is still not that great.

The Shield TV is hard to beat especially if you can get it on sale, but it's not going to match a good PC for upscaling quality. Of course, a good PC also costs a lot more.

Back