• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make a Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup ISO with all updates up to 2016

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you'd like to add it, there's no reason not to do it.

Well, today I'm trying out the fix for in place W7 installs. My rig wouldn't boot this morning and the repair disk couldn't find an OS on the drive, so I reinstalled. :bang head I'm considering selling my rig and getting a $500 laptop. :rofl:

Oh, and my propane (and propane accessories) got low enough for my pilot lights to go out overnight. I smelled the gas standing in my kitchen with a cig in my pie hole and the lighter in my hand (unlit) about 6 inches from it. So, I didn't blow myself up. So I got that going for me, which is nice. :clap: Extra points if you heard that in Bill Murray's voice. :)

edit:edit: Windows Updater found 85 updates first try. Fingers crossed. :)

Last edited:
This also clarifies a bit the theory you had trents regarding continuously updating Windows 7.
By (fortunate) chance - I had a Windows 7 image which was last updated in April of 2015. In April 2015, Windows 7 Update engine actually did work.

However, we can now freely say, based on tests, that if you did not update Windows 7 since April 2015, your Windows 7 Update is very likely very broken.
You need four things to fix it:

• April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 file
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

• April 2016 Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup update file

• May 2016 update rollup
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3156417

• July 2016 update rollup file (which includes June 2016 updates).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

April 2016 Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup update file can only be downloaded using Microsoft Internet Explorer and no other browser from
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574

[You need to install the Microsoft Update Catalog Add-on to be able to Add the downloads to download "basket"...]
You need either a 32-Bit file or a 64-Bit file.
32-Bit Update for Windows 7 (KB3125574) 5/16/2016 316.0 MB
or
64-Bit Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3125574) 5/16/2016 476.9 MB

Verified. This worked on my in place W7 Pro SP1 x64 install. :thup:

If you remember to use 32-bit files and change command lines to reflect 32-bit file names.

Just asking because I have clients whose depreciated 32 bit hardware can't ever run winten. Would be nice to refresh those systems with a one disk solution.

Audioaficionado, you are not alone. Fact: As of October 2016 - Windows 7 Update is Broken on All Official Windows 7 Installation Media Released by Microsoft.

For that very reason trents is contacting Editors to have very clear instructions, including 32-Bit instructions posted as a front page article. First draft is already uploaded.

Would be nice to refresh those systems with a one disk solution.

Universal disks can be made (containing all editions x32 and x64) but to add the roll ups and fix updates you have to address each install.wim on the disk individually (I still haven't completed a working disk without a screw up, but have had 2 editions on 1 disk working).

Installing an operating system from a torrent carries a risk of malware already built in. You can argue how likely/unlikely that is.
If you do not use a Microsoft source to get Windows itself, chances are that it may have malware built in, it's easy for them to get you to install malware infested OS like that, before you even get to install any anti-malware software to protect you from it.

But all official sources have Windows 7 with a broken Windows Update, so you'll need to fix it using this thread's info regardless of where your Windows 7 installation came from.

Just wondering: you download the toorent, scan it with both antivarus and malwarebyte, is there any risk?

I know it's PITA to get all updates and stuff from the original install, and I usually grab the latest version from torrent, scan t and install uit.

I did it quite a few times, and never got any infection (that I am aware of).

I personally have witnessed malware detection inside a Windows Operating System .iso.
I was eager to test OS before they came out in the old days and they would have some "leaked" builds back then.

I then learned how dangerous that is because there are ways for them to inject malware into the Operating System installation that is already there, when you first install Windows and before you even install any antivirus. I went out of my way to wait to get Microsoft official downloads from TechNet and MSDN or find someone with access to official downloads of the OS.

*Of course* you can role the dice.
But it's not the same as rolling the dice on software you install, on already installed Windows on which Antivirus/antimalware is already installed and running.
I did not go into the details of this but if you can, get the real deal. I don not know if simply scanning the iso is enough.

Of course the big picture here is... do you understand that Windows 7 Update is broken unless someone recently did what post#1 of this thread says to do?
Old Windows 7 installations are all broken out of the box. That is the very point of this thread.

I personally have witnessed malware detection inside a Windows Operating System .iso.
I was eager to test OS before they came out in the old days and they would have some "leaked" builds back then.

I then learned how dangerous that is because there are ways for them to inject malware into the Operating System installation that is already there, when you first install Windows and before you even install any antivirus. I went out of my way to wait to get Microsoft official downloads from TechNet and MSDN or find someone with access to official downloads of the OS.

*Of course* you can role the dice.
But it's not the same as rolling the dice on software you install, on already installed Windows on which Antivirus/antimalware is already installed and running.
I did not go into the details of this but if you can, get the real deal. I don not know if simply scanning the iso is enough.

Of course the big picture here is... do you understand that Windows 7 Update is broken unless someone recently did what post#1 of this thread says to do?
Old Windows 7 installations are all broken out of the box. That is the very point of this thread.

Being honest, I started from post #333... And I just read post #1/#2/#3.

Got it now ;)

snip.PNG my win7 is not applying the updates.
download 1 an 2 have installed, 3 and 4 say they do not apply to my system.
the updates that windows update installs say they have installed but when it checks for updates it still offers the same updates.

"Windows 7 Update is broken on all official Windows 7 installation media released by Microsoft.

If you have already installed Windows 7 and SP1, you will need four files to fix Windows 7 Update:
• April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 file
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

• April 2016 Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup update file
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....px?q=KB3125574
In case of any problems downloading that file, the same file can be downloaded using Microsoft Internet Explorer add-on from http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...aspx?q=3125574
You need to accept the installation of the Microsoft Update Catalog Add-on to be able to Add Microsoft downloads to the download "basket":
64-Bit Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3125574) 5/16/2016 476.9 MB
[Or for 32-Bit Systems: (KB3125574) 5/16/2016 316.0 MB]

• May 2016 update rollup file
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3156417
• July 2016 update rollup file (which includes June 2016 updates):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Applying these four downloads ↑ and after rebooting, your Windows 7 Update should be fixed."

That is a separate problem, of the kind we always deal with with Windows.

This thread address one single problem: You go to Windows 7 Update and nothing happens - it endlessly checks for updates but displays no updates.

If any updates are displayed, then your Windows 7 Update is not broken.

This may have nothing to do with your problem but note on .net updates, every time you install a .net update, force compile the updates:
Use DOS to get to the location of ngen.exe
and execute
NGEN queue status
NGEN executequeueditems

So for example if you have old .net 2 installed:
%SYSTEMDRIVE%
cd %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727
NGEN queue status
NGEN executequeueditems

or change the directory location wherever your ngen.exe

I've had bad, bad experiences with torrent downloads as far as malware goes.

Hi,

am I right? After adding "KB3177467 - September 2016 servicing stack update" it is not possible to integrate other update packages into the install.wim?

I'm trying to build an almost complete install.wim with updates but after adding this package every other dism call fails. In the log file I find messages like this:
Code:
2016-10-20 11:07:59, Error                 CBS    Exec: Cannot finalize session because an exclusive session is pending. [HRESULT = 0x800f082f - CBS_E_EXCLUSIVE_WOULD_MERGE]
2016-10-20 11:07:59, Error                 CBS    Failed to perform operation.  [HRESULT = 0x800f082f - CBS_E_EXCLUSIVE_WOULD_MERGE]
2016-10-20 11:07:59, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3040 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x800f082f)
2016-10-20 11:07:59, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3040 Failed processing package changes - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChanges(hr:0x800f082f)
2016-10-20 11:07:59, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3040 Failed while processing command add-package. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f082f)
2016-10-20 11:07:59, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=800F082F

So this looks like that Windows should be started from this install.wim so that pernding operation could be finialized. Which is not possible, of course.
I like to avoid to install a Windows 7 on a computer (or virtual machine) and capture a new install.wim because there are many things left, even after sysprep.

Do you have any idea how to deal with that?

My current (automated) procedure is this:
I integrate Internet Explorer 11 and some patches into the install.wim (currently all the patches of post #1).
Then I start VirtualBox and let Windows 7 get installed.
A script searches for updates on the local WSUS, downloads and installs them. Also the installed patches where logged.
After installing I copy all the installed .cab files and reboot the machine.
The script starts again, checks for updates, install them until no other update could be found.
The VM will be shut down.
The script no opens the previous modified install.wim again and integrates all the possible updates.
At the end the install.wim will be closed.

The last months I allways had to do slight changes on the script with the pre-install updates and everything runs pretty well. But since october I have a lot of trouble, at least the system finds updates, but can not integrate them because of the pending session.

Regards
Nils

Last edited:
Back