• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make a Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup ISO with all updates up to 2016

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And also it depends in which order the system tries to install the updates. So first Windows 7 finds an Internet Explorer 7 and downloads updates for this (at least the cumulative update) and also downloads the IE 11. So if first is IE 11 installed the patch for IE 7 couldn't be applied. After the next boot you will see the error, but the system should not try to install this patch again.

I have created cmd scripts and an virtual machine setup to update a wim file automatically. Currently it is just updating one image in a wim file but I will change this.
For short, the complete system will do this:
Prepare a virtual hard disk to use a windows setup (make a backup of boot.wim and an epxort of the given image of the install.wim, ie. index 4).
Mouint the new install.wim and inject some updates (some of the updates from page 1), also updates for Internet Explorer 11 and the Intel USB 3 driver.
Unmount the wim file and the hard disk.
Use this VHD to start an automated setup process using an autounattend.xml on a virtual floppy disk.
Start the VM from the second vhd once initiaing the installation process.
During installation some scripts run for configuring auto logon and some other things.
After the setup is done the installed Wiindows is started and a user is logged on.
Than the setup process runs through the script, looking for updates, wait until they have found, download and install maximum 50 updates. Backup the installed updates on the second hard disk and write a log file. Then reboot and start over.
If no updates have been installed clean a little bit up the system - which is not necessary any more and shut down.
If the VM is down the main script outdsite mounts the second hard disk, copy the install.wim used for the installation, the log file and the backup of the installed patches.
Then the script unmounts the VHD and mounts the install.wim file, injecting the successfull installed updates.
At the end the install.wim will be unomunted.

So I get an install.wim with only 1 image, but up to date.
Using
dism /export-image
I can put the pieces together to get one complete install.wim again, which is not automated yet.

If I get the scripts finished I try to post it here.

I have a friend who just trashed his win7 laptop (nice Asus i3 machine) because he just got tired of all the update issues and bought a new winten laptop. I'm thinking this happens a lot. Planned obsolescence? I can still use XP and win7 in VMs and on machines behind a good router firewall.

That laptop can still be switched over to Ten if he chooses willingly... For free. Just FYI.

He was told by a salesman at BB that he had to utterly destroy the laptop to prevent any of his info being accessed. He smashed the HD and then all the electronics. He got a cheap <$300 laptop. I'm guessing an AMD or celeron. He had an i3 so this is a down grade in reality.

Absolutely a downgrade. With all due respect to your friend, what we have here is a 'more money than brains' situation. :(

He's a stubborn cuss. Finally stopped smoking and it might be permanent this time. His laptop is mainly so his wife can keep in touch with her family in Indonesia. Don't need much power for browsing and Skype.

He was told by a salesman at BB that he had to utterly destroy the laptop to prevent any of his info being accessed. He smashed the HD and then all the electronics.

I now want to go to BB and slap someone. Hard.

So in the end I chickend out well I'm not very good at what the 1st post says from C627627 lol sooooooooooooooo I kind of used NTlite and made a disc that way because it's what I used to make my out of date by 4 years Windows 7 disc, after slip streaming SP1 and the latest roll up (April's just released so I didn't get that one) I'm just testing it on VMWare Player 12 and the total updates are 149 mainly aimed at .Net 4.xx etc. Didn't think to check if they did a roll up of updates for that to stream in also but 149 is better than 400+ from my old set-up disc. So far it's working in VMWare player 12 and it's downloading them as I type just got to see if they install correctly and then I may give it another test on a new VM install again to be safe.

It sounds like you have it covered. To my knowledge NTLite is just a GUI front-end for the process described in the OP. I think DISM is confusing and unintuitive so I am glad for tools like NTLite that make it easy for you and me. If you are ever bored though, do some reading on DISM, because it can do more than just slipstream drivers. It can clear up disk space, help make a Universal ISO, and who knows what else.

I would absolutely test your image in a vm before killing your current install. Very prudent :thup:

It sounds like you have it covered. To my knowledge NTLite is just a GUI front-end for the process described in the OP. I think DISM is confusing and unintuitive so I am glad for tools like NTLite that make it easy for you and me. If you are ever bored though, do some reading on DISM, because it can do more than just slipstream drivers. It can clear up disk space, help make a Universal ISO, and who knows what else.

I would absolutely test your image in a vm before killing your current install. Very prudent :thup:

With NTLite it just makes it a lot easier because of the GUI but I will give it a read on DISM it does sound interesting to read and I'd like to learn something new I've just finished testing my new ISO and it works perfectly even downloaded the 149 updates but did give me a panic because the April 2017 Roll up failed, but after a restart and a continuation of WU it downloaded it fine and installed fine so I'm going to give it a days test see how it goes and then hopefully I have a new up to date (- 149/April roll up) ISO.

My son's a gamer and that 1703 Craters update did not make him happy. It, among many things, installed a laptop mobile driver for his 980 GTX card and reset most of his settings to what MS deems default. He's asking me to help him roll back to win7.

My son's a gamer and that 1703 Craters update did not make him happy. It, among many things, installed a laptop mobile driver for his 980 GTX card and reset most of his settings to what MS deems default. He's asking me to help him roll back to win7.
Is a rollback even possible at this point? Or does he mean backup data and reinstall Win7?

Rollback window is only 30 days.
After that reinstall only.
Windows 10 settings reset sometimes happens with a monthly update - but *always* happens with a major Win 10 build update.

There are at least two major Win 10 build updates every year, which completely hose custom settings through a *mandatory* Win 10 reset back to defaults.

Since my son is so into gaming and he uses Steam mostly, he's stuck with windows. Yes technically 'roll back' is different than reinstall. I was just using it as a term for returning back to the beginning.

<p>
So I created a slip stream disc of my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit using the old fasion and easier way and it worked succussfully it created everything fine and I included the recommended patches in a post that would fix the issues with WU, so I proceeded to install my new created disc after backing my most important thing (twice). Everything installed fine in fact I saved an extra 15GB of space I believe merging all the updates up to April 2017 because I created the disc just after they released that update roll-up, so after installing drivers and everything else games etc I go to WU and run the search and it comes up with about 140 updates oddly along with the roll up package this month and low and behold it won't install it yet it installed everything else and it's just installed office updates for me perfectly fine. So far according to installed updates history I have installed 211 updates all fine yet the roll up still gives me issues and I merged the patches into my slipstream as well in case it caused any problems.</p>
<p>
EDIT: I fixed the issue turns out it was something to do with .Net Framework 4.6.2 I searched for a new version and .Net 4.7 is out I installed that which removed older version and after a restart everything has installed fine every up date.</p>

Last edited:
This thread is now even more relevant as of today, because Microsoft has just announced that Windows 7 support will not end in 2020, but will be extended, just like Windows XP was.

Windows XP support was extended in 2014 for five years with this .reg file, which made security patches for Windows XP available until the year 2019:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

We do not know what the Security Update extension mechanism will be for Windows 7 after 2020.
But Microsoft said yes you will have security updates for Windows 7 beyond 2020, but you will have to pay for them.
Things will be clearer in a couple of years. I personally hope they would do the same for Windows 8 after 8 expires five years from now in 2023.
I would pay for the stability of Windows 8 [+ Classic Shell User Interface], especially in a corporate environment so as not to have my company be a Beta tester for Windows 10:

Win10UpdatesToSlowDown.png

As instructed here are the questions that I PMed c627627 about:

Which updates would I need to create the most comprehensive installation media (in addition to the ones in your guide), and with the fewest amount of them?

Would it be sufficient to just get the security monthly quality rollup updates, and integrate the servicing stack updates when appropriate?

His answer was to go ahead and integrate all of the monthly updates that came out after the ones in his original guide. Thanks again.

Is it possible to verify that Security Monthly Quality Rollup was added correctly to the Windows installation image?

Using the guide, I've made an ISO with monthly updates through December 2017, but after I've installed operating system and checked for updates, Windows Update showed that KB4054518 is ready for downloading. But I'm pretty sure that I've added it to the image.

Back