• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make a Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup ISO with all updates up to 2016

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I established one fact and that is the April 2015 Servicing Stack update is in fact necessary. The September 2016 version doesn't make the April 2015 version unnecessary. You can't proceed with the build unless it is in place in the order in which it was presented in the instructions. You can't go back add it in once you've left it out and have already installed the September 2016 Servicing Stack update.

Edit: Can't say that for sure. I realize now I had a typo in the file name. So I'm including the April 2015 servicing stack update anyway.

So in the instructions, where do we add the September 2016 SS Update? After the May, July, August and September routine updates? Or do we add it in after the May, July and August regular updates but before the September regular update? Or even, can we inject it immediately after the April 2015 Servicing Stack update?

Last edited:
Wait! Why should we bother to integrate the September 2016 SS update into the custom ISO? If you use what we already have then the fixed updater downloads and installs it anyway and it doesn't seem to break the updater. I guess I'm not clear on that.

Aesthetically it should be different than what I think intuitively should be done,
which is we leave everything be... and maybe, just maybe insert Step 6b.

And so just before Step 7 you would have:

6b.

• September 2016 servicing stack update for Windows 7 would be recommended for future updates:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3177467

Copy to C:\updates\
either
• 64-Bit September 2016 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 file:
Windows6.1-KB3177467-x64.msu
or
• 32-Bit September 2016 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 file:
Windows6.1-KB3177467-x86.msu

Integrate September 2016 Servicing Stack Update:
Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3177467-x64.msu
Change name of .msu file if you are integrating a 32-bit / different version file:
Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3177467-x86.msu

That is what I would do because remember, the only thing that matters is having media installation with 2016, -- any point in 2016 -- , updates already being in there with Windows 7 Update working to continue from that point on [+ a few older updates not included in Microsoft's Rollups.]

Avoiding the nightmare of downloading half a decade or more worth of updates + having a working Windows 7 Update, that's what this is all about. Everything else is secondary. We have accomplished that goal, we don't want anything breaking it.

But I believe that including the September 2016 Servicing Stack Update will help with any future shenanigans, which are just as likely to come down the road as they did with all the other OS in the past... particularly, and especially as we approach the end of life point in January of 2020.

Last edited:
I'm doing a build now with the Sept. 2016 Servicing Pack included. I injected it after injecting the May, July, August and September regular updates and it seems to be working. I toyed with the idea of injecting it after the August regular update but before the September regular update but what I'm doing now seems to be working so Ill go with it. It would come after Step 5 in my tutorial. When it's all done creating the custom image I'll try installing and see how it goes.

This week our house will be discombobulated (including the computer room) because we are having flooring put in. Lots of "honey do" things. I probably won't be able to give as much attention to this project for the next several days as I have.

Last edited:
But I believe that including the September 2016 Servicing Stack Update will help with any future shenanigans, which are just as likely to come down the road as they did with all the other OS in the past... particularly, and especially as we approach the end of life point in January of 2020.

I wish we had a way to find out what is in these updates. I'm tempted to just kill the updater function and go on without it.

trents this is it. September Servicing Stack release date a couple of days ago came at a perfect time. If you say it doesn't break what we had, then we are ready to put the lid on this. Maybe take one more day then post your most recent draft, I will read it, make suggested changes, and we will go ahead with creating revision 1 of the project write up.

trents this is it. September Servicing Stack release date a couple of days ago came at a perfect time. If you say it doesn't break what we had, then we are ready to put the lid on this. Maybe take one more day then post your most recent draft, I will read it, make suggested changes, and we will go ahead with creating revision 1 of the project write up.

The changes to the draft to include the September Servicing Stack Update are done. The .iso build with that included is on DVD media now but I haven't tried installing it on a computer yet. I really don't anticipate any problems with that, however. Here's the new draft.

Attachments

• Broken No More (trents_revision_3).zip
    18.8 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for sticking with this guys. I am just utterly burnt out. M.2 Drive never came this weekend and I wasted an entire day troubleshooting a port forwarding problem for my ARK server. Ends up I forgot I had a modem/router combo in front of my regular router and the DMZ mode was set to the old IP of my previous router. Talk about a waste of a weekend... Oh well. It happens. Just shows I need to chill out and stop being a hammer for every little issue.

The slipstreamed build with September 2016 servicing stack update installed fine on my test computer. Now installing chipset drivers. No LAN yet so I checked the Windows update history immediately after install of the OS but before any internet connection. There was one update listed: KB2685811 (Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2). Not sure if that is significant or not.

When I have LAN I'll check to see if the updater is functioning properly.

Last edited:
Installation proceeded normally and the Windows updater functions as it should. All systems go!

Tweaked on the document some.

Attachments

• Broken No More (trents_revision_4).zip
    31.4 KB · Views: 25
Yeah that's it then. After work late tonight, I will go over whatever your most current draft is by then. Good timing on the release from Microsoft. I will also remake my .iso to include it and I would not mess with this any further before 2018. And after that one last time, after end of life is reached in Jan 2020.

Okay, I realize I'm might be guilty of OCD here but I added a warning about checking typos and such if scripts don't execute in Command Prompt. So here's another draft.

Attachments

• Broken No More (trents_revision_5).zip
    30.9 KB · Views: 23
You should keep posting those any time all the way through the day, if you would like, just keep editing this post ↑ and I will get whatever is there late tonight.

Before it's all finalized I'm thinking I might add a note or a link to TW's version since he is including information about slipstreaming SP1 into the build for those who are using pre SP1 versions of Windows 7. But I don't even have a title to reference yet so that will have to wait.

Might take me a while... Girlfriend has a friend in town tonight staying over so I don't think I'll get any time at home to work on it. Unfortunate side effect of living in a 1 bed room apartment where your living room is also your computer and guest bed room lol. Work is a little unrelenting too.

Real Life comes first. Well second, girlfriends come first, no need to explain ;).

Additional information is really great but slipstreaming info is available everywhere, for example
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-slipstream-windows-7-sp1-into-installation-dvd-iso/

On the other hand, making a working Windows 7 .iso is only available in this thread so far. That's the main focus, that's the topic, having that working install disc or USB in your hand... ;) That's what we have now, and it's (near) future proof with that September Stack update.

All right sir, I am reading the .docx.

We enter the realms of personal opinions, so at this stage just brain storming, saying whatever comes to mind, it doesn't have to be accepted or not.

Stage one, big picture article topics.
Stage two would be nitpicking grammar.

So stage 1:

• Forums and article are two different things. I would avoid speculation about Microsoft's "motives" in the article - that's forum posts stuff, more for comments on the article topic.

• Love the 'What the fix fixes' section - like I said grammar nitpicking comes later. Really like your concept of the approach to this.

• Love how the less computer inclined readers get an overview - this is *crucial* to them implementing the actual process. You had to go through this the hard way and then by writing this, you made sure others do not. Thank you for that.

• The more I read, the more I see the value in explaining things that need no explanation for experienced users. So I support your style of "hand-holding" approach to this.
It's easy to bridge the divide between the computer experts - just give them the option to skip the intro, through a link. Average home users then still get to do this.

• Possibly once again remind them at the beginning of docx Step 7. that other internet browsers cannot be used.

• This is how older .net framework can be installed from Windows 8/10 installation media, quickly without the need to download and install anything. I am not saying that it's not easier to download, just FYI:
Right click on Command Prompt > Run as administrator >
Code:
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
[Replace D: with your drive letter for Windows 8/10 installation media.]

Wait at least five minutes for the process to reach 100% and finish.

• .docx Step 13 where it says "Note: The June update rollup is not needed." Tell them why. It is already included in the July file.

• Love the Now here this! Now here this! section. That is exactly how things should be conveyed to the masses.

• The words "Rufus will only make a USB installer" imply that a DVD installer is needed. The finished .iso is bootable, no DVD installer is needed. I may have misunderstood this part, but .iso file is the dvd installer. Rufus just gets that .iso onto a USB and makes it bootable, which is the only extra thing that is needed. .iso goes straight to DVD by burning an image from the .iso file.
Microsoft's tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool
or Rufus gets the .iso transferred to USB.

• The end advice is very useful. I may have a thing or two to add there when we get to the grammar nitpicking stage.
But you have included a couple of questions I've seen come up every time a novice uses the slipstreamed DVD/USB.
It's just really nice to see you break down the process, computer experts would say "dumbing down" the process... but what this does is makes it actually usable by regular people.

We have a fine start here trents.

All right sir, I am reading the .docx.

We enter the realms of personal opinions, so at this stage just brain storming, saying whatever comes to mind, it doesn't have to be accepted or not.

Stage one, big picture article topics.
Stage two would be nitpicking grammar.

So stage 1:

• Forums and article are two different things. I would avoid speculation about Microsoft's "motives" in the article - that's forum posts stuff, more for comments on the article topic. Good point.

• Love the 'What the fix fixes' section - like I said grammar nitpicking comes later. Really like your concept of the approach to this.

• Love how the less computer inclined readers get an overview - this is *crucial* to them implementing the actual process. You had to go through this the hard way and then by writing this, you made sure others do not. Thank you for that.

• The more I read, the more I see the value in explaining things that need no explanation for experienced users. So I support your style of "hand-holding" approach to this.
It's easy to bridge the divide between the computer experts - just give them the option to skip the intro, through a link. Average home users then still get to do this.

• Possibly once again remind them at the beginning of docx Step 7. that other internet browsers cannot be used. I agree. I was even considering suggesting that at least for this build process the user should make IE the default browser.

• This is how older .net framework can be installed from Windows 8/10 installation media, quickly without the need to download and install anything. (If their Win 8/10 computer is a mass produced machine such as HP or Dell it won't come with any installation media. I'm inclined to leave this one alone.) I am not saying that it's not easier to download, just FYI:
Right click on Command Prompt > Run as administrator >
Code:
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
[Replace D: with your drive letter for Windows 8/10 installation media.]

Wait at least five minutes for the process to reach 100% and finish.

• .docx Step 13 where it says "Note: The June update rollup is not needed." Tell them why. It is already included in the July file. Good point.

• Love the Now here this! Now here this! section. That is exactly how things should be conveyed to the masses.

• The words "Rufus will only make a USB installer" imply that a DVD installer is needed. The finished .iso is bootable, no DVD installer is needed. I may have misunderstood this part, but .iso file is the dvd installer. Rufus just gets that .iso onto a USB and makes it bootable, which is the only extra thing that is needed. .iso goes straight to DVD by burning an image from the .iso file.
Microsoft's tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool
or Rufus gets the .iso transferred to USB. My intention was to convey that Rufus won't make a DVD installer by itself. From the Rufus user interface the only choice is USB. But I can add some comments about how to take the ISO and make a bootable DVD with the built-in Windows tool.

• The end advice is very useful. I may have a thing or two to add there when we get to the grammar nitpicking stage.
But you have included a couple of questions I've seen come up every time a novice uses the slipstreamed DVD/USB.
It's just really nice to see you break down the process, computer experts would say "dumbing down" the process... but what this does is makes it actually usable by regular people.

We have a fine start here trents.

In that case, perhaps things can be simple when it comes to what is mentioned at the point after the final .iso is created.
Six words: Rufus is a USB creation tool.
Then find a way to simplify what's obvious to advanced computer users but not novice users, that they can't just burn the .iso as a file but that they need to use disc burning software to "Burn Image" or "Write Image File to Disc" to create a DVD.

Back