• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make a Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup ISO with all updates up to 2016

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In that case, perhaps things can be simple when it comes to what is mentioned at the point after the final .iso is created.
Six words: Rufus is a USB creation tool.
Then find a way to simplify what's obvious to advanced computer users but not novice users, that they can't just burn the .iso as a file but that they need to use disc burning software to "Burn Image" or "Write Image File to Disc" to create a DVD.

Windows has a built-in .iso burner, doesn't it? I've used it many time to burn Linux .isos onto DVD media that is bootable.

Good. Whatever the steps are to go from the final iso file on the computer to holding a physical disc in your hand. That should be spelled out...

You know, it occurs to me that it might be easier to remove the reference to Windows USB/DVD Downloader and just give instructions about using the builit-in Windows tool for making DVD media. The Windows USB/DVD Downloader is a little flakey anyhow.

I also think wee need to give consideration as to how we refer to the target audience for these tutorials. Using terms like "Expert" and "Advanced User" can be misleading and even demeaning. We all have different skill sets. Building these slipstreamed custom isos is more of an exercise in scripting than anything else. Some people may not have much experience in scripting but are experts in hardware and building systems, for example.

Last edited:
Yes it is flaky.

Yes, but do mention that Rufus is a USB creation tool.

There should be an explanation on how to burn the .iso onto a DVD using internal software, that would be ideal.

and also
Yes, those terms should be dropped from the article.

Yes it is flaky.

Yes, but do mention that Rufus is a USB creation tool. Will do.

There should be an explanation on how to burn the .iso onto a DVD using internal software, that would be ideal. Will do.

and also
Yes, those terms should be dropped from the article.
I don't think hose terms are presently in my .docx but we should avoid them when we collate mine and TW's version. We probably do need to explain somehow why there are two versions. Maybe we could say something like, "Here's the quick and dirty version for you script monkeys out there."

Rufus has never failed me while the windows built in tool has nearly every time. My . 02

Yes. Rufus for USB and use *any* burning program for DVD.

trents, I would be leaning towards starting off with just the list of steps, steps that someone like say, TechWizard can fully understand and follow quickly, 15 minutes or less into reading the article an .iso could be created... as quickly as possible.
But I would then simply follow with the break down of yours. Of course we would straight away mention that there is a break down following the steps which will not have things spelled out like the break down will...

Rufus has failed me in the past... don't know if I have bad luck with it or what. I usually just end up using Diskpart to create my bootable USB drives.

Rufus isn't for new users, but will work fine with good instructions. Too many options. Love it myself. USB installers are da bomb.

Okay let's find the best one. It's useful to know. It's important for every day use for all of us.
Let's start with Rufus, you guys post links to others, let's truly find the one easiest to use.
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If you insert one USB drive, Rufus will display it straight away, in this screen shot Drive J is the USB drive, already selected as soon as you first start the program.
You then have to click inside this red square to browse to your .iso.

Knowing that you have to do that one thing may be complicated. But let's look at others too, please post what they are.

Rufus.jpg

Type all the commands without the quotes.

1. Open a Command Prompt window as an administrator.

2. Type "diskpart".

3. Type "list disk", and then hit ENTER. The list disk command displays all the disks on the computer. Note the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive.

4. Type "select disk" <X>, where X is the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive, and then hit ENTER.

5. Type "clean", and the hit ENTER. This command deletes all data from the USB flash drive.

6. Type "create part pri", and then hit ENTER.

7. Type "select part 1", and then hit ENTER.

8. Type "format fs=ntfs quick", and then hit ENTER.

9. Type "active", and then hit ENTER.

10. Copy and Paste files from mounted ISO or from the directory with your already extracted ISO files to the flash drive.

Done.

This is just what I do when I create a bootable flash drive. Works 100% every time and I'll know if I make a mistake, whereas relying on a program sometimes results in errors you can't account for.

If I may say, if giving instructions on how to do this manually, I would mention explicitly that Windows XP cannot be used, only command prompt under Windows 10/8/7/Vista and I would list it like this for better overview:

• diskpart
• list disk
• select disk #
[of USB Flash drive]
• clean
• create partition primary
• select partition 1
• active
• format fs=NTFS quick
• assign
• exit

Rufus isn't for new users, but will work fine with good instructions. Too many options. Love it myself. USB installers are da bomb.

What? I don't see how it could be any easier. Just leave all the settings on default and point it to the .iso file.

Rufus is a simple to use and time honored tool. The only time I have had it fail me is when it wouldn't recognize the usb stick and that was not Rufus' issue but a compatibility problem with the particular USB stick on that system's USB bus.

My strong feeling is that in my version of the tutorial at least, which is designed to be usable by people with a wide spectrum of computing skills, that we offer simple tools instead of more scripting.

Last edited:
To that end, the only thing you would need to mention is where to click on Rufus, since that is the one and only thing people usually have to do, even a simple single screen shot could act as a one picture instruction.

If they are told not to touch anything else (other than make sure the USB listed is the one they want to install on), Rufus can work.

New .docx with changes made in consideration of input from team.

- - - Updated - - -

c6, I really appreciate your leadership in all this. At points where team inputs reflect a difference of opinion, I know we can trust you to make good "executive decisions."

Attachments

• Broken No More (trents_revision_6).zip
    64.5 KB · Views: 23
Does anyone have a link to a completed ISO I don't have the time at the moment with me back and forth to hospital for my daughter according to my WINDOWS folder my install has been on since July 2009 which isn't too bad really still bloody fast as I did a copy of my W7 install and moved it over to my M4 SSD drive but I was considering a fresh format since its been a while

We can't link any completed .i so in this thread. What you do privately is your own business. All the links to build one is ok.

Does anyone have a link to a completed ISO I don't have the time at the moment with me back and forth to hospital for my daughter according to my WINDOWS folder my install has been on since July 2009 which isn't too bad really still bloody fast as I did a copy of my W7 install and moved it over to my M4 SSD drive but I was considering a fresh format since its been a while

The freeware program WSUS accomplishes much the same thing as our ISO project in this thread. WSUS is not quite as complete as our project here (since our project includes updates all the way up to this month) but it will get you there and is not difficult to use. Turn off automatic updates first.

I went over version 6.
It's now time for stage II.

Over the next few days, I would go over the grammar nitpicking and make changes, as a suggestion.
We would then talk about that and hammer out the final product.
The Editorial Stuff would get involved after that point.

I was hoping to have a quick edited original list of commands up front, which would then be followed up by most of what is in version 6.
This way, someone like myself could have quick access (all the way up to 2020) to that list and make Windows 7 ISOs quickly, and up to whatever date they are in, because there would be no need to read an involved detailed write up, since it won't be the first time for someone like me making the even more updated Windows 7 ISO.

On the other hand, equally important, there will *always* be someone new, who 100% absolutely needs the write up to get a clue on what is actually happening.

So both would be there for the taking.
Give me a few days to edit and go over the entire draft and we'll go on from there.

Sounds like a good plan. I would assume whatever TW is working on would provide the foundation for the "quick edited list of commands up front" you speak of.

c6, what exactly is being accomplished in the first step of the custom iso build?:

Dism /Mount-WIM /WimFile:C:\Win7SP1ISO\sources\install.wim /Name:"Windows 7 ULTIMATE" /MountDir:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline

I think I should go back and explain that in my .docw with something like: First, we need to . . . "

Looks like to me the command string there is mounting the original ISO contained in the folder C:\Win7SP1ISO, renaming it to Windows 7 Ultimate and then mounting it in c:\Win7SP1ISO\offline. Am I correct? How can we express this in simple terms to the uninitiated out there? Something like: "First, we need to prepare the original Windows 7 image for the changes"?

Last edited:
Back