• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my old AMD 630 x4 to 3.8GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rab179

Hi Everyone this is my first time overclocking, I recently purchased some new computer parts in order to overclock this CPU. I have read some guides on overclocking and have done what I can from reading but now I'm somewhat stuck.

I am a bit curious if I could squeeze out a bit more from this old CPU.
I have managed to get it up to 3.5GHz (up from 2.8GHz) by increasing the BCLK Clock Control Setting from 200MHz to 250MHz in my Gigabyte UEFI BIOS.
I also lowered my NB/HT multiplier to x8 so it would stay factory 2000MHz, and lowered my RAM multiplier to x533 which makes it 1322GHz.
When I tried to benchmark 250MHz the first time I failed a prime95 test within a few seconds my computer restarted, so I increased the voltage by 0.5v and ran the test again and passed. yay!
Now when I try to go any higher like 260MHz making my processor run at 3.64GHz it restarts my PC when testing with prime95.
I don't think this is a PSU Problem as I have 850 watt Corsair PSU. I don't think its heat problem either, but maybe its something to do with the RAM. I'll post CPU-Z shots and HW

CPU.PNG Memory.PNG MOBO.PNG SPD.PNG HWMonitor.PNG RAM.PNG FANS.PNG

So What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Nope not likely the PSU, probably just needs more voltage. I'd like to see the P95 stress test temps/volts at 250 HTT. Can you run it again and have HWMonitor open then take a SS about 20 minutes in? That will be helpful. These chips get unstable around the 55°C range. After you get your max core it's a good idea with these to increase the NB /ram if possible.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies here's a screen after 20 minutes of prime95 @ 250MHz. I'm a little nervous when increasing the voltage, I don't wanna fry my mobo, not too concerned with frying a 10y.o. processor.
20MINS.PNG

I looks as though your V_Core is getting up to 1.45 under load at present and your temps look good. For these chips 55°C and 1.5v is about where I would stop. Don't worry about the mobo it should handle it.

OK, so I did manage to get the CPU to 3.64GHz by raising the system clock to 260MHz and raising the core voltage by +.1volts making it 1.5volts, but when I tried to go any higher (270MHz) with the system clock, it started reseting while running windows. I raised it to just 262MHz after that failed attempt and it did make it for about 20seconds of prime95 but reset on me again.
My temperature seems like it's working out pretty good.
20MINS260.PNG
That 10MHz increase got me from 230cb to 267cb on CINEBENCH tho, pretty happy with that.
Is this the highest I can safely go? Seems like I haven't truly raised the voltage tho by the looks of HW Monitor even though I set my bios to +.1v .I think my next step is to buy 2 more matching RAM sticks.

Last edited:
You don't need anymore ram. You've already got 16GB right? I would try setting the ram to 1600 MHz first then work on the NB

Yeah the 16GB is plenty, but I thought with using all 4 slots I'd be running faster. I looked and found that AM3 Processors only support up to 1600 (I wondered where you got that number from) In my GB BIOS I can only change the RAM multiplier 5.33 is too low, and 6.67 was too high. I changed my BCLK to 300MHz and set my CPU to x12 (3.60GHz). I left my RAM multiplier at 5.33 and it worked out to 1599MHz. I also had to lower my NB & HT multipliers to x7 making them 2100MHz each. I also changed my timings of the ram to the timings that they were listed as.

CPU.PNG Memory.PNG

And again thank you for the help. Probably wouldn't have gotten this far without some guidance

Edit: Ran another Stress Test afterwards too btw.

Those timings are for 1866, I would try 9-9-9 24 at 1.5v if it won't run add a bit of voltage to the ram untill it does. 1.5v no good 1.55 if no goo 1.6v etc.. DDR3 has quite a bit of room for voltage. Then I would raise the multiplier for the NB with a voltage of ~ 1.25 you should get to 26-2800 anyway.

Hey, so quick update I ran a stress test after change the setting as you advised above for 5 hours, and didn't receive any errors or anything when I returned to it. I was thinking everything was good to go. I shut down the computer a little while later and then came home to on my lunch break to do some homework and I got the Win 10 BOSD reset loop, and no setting that I would change would let it work until I dropped the BCLK down to 260hz. So here are my setting now:
CPU260.PNG Memory260.PNG

3.6 something is all I could get my 630 to do - on a cheap motherboard at least.

Yeh I'm pretty satisfied with it, and I assume that I have done everything possible i could do with a locked processor. I recently purchased another EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti GPU for 30$ on eBay and have the two running in SLI. I'm now looking to find a FX-8350 processor for cheap and overclock it as well.

Yeh I'm pretty satisfied with it, and I assume that I have done everything possible i could do with a locked processor. I recently purchased another EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti GPU for 30$ on eBay and have the two running in SLI. I'm now looking to find a FX-8350 processor for cheap and overclock it as well.

With overclocking an 8 core FX you might want to pick up a better motherboard, like the Asus Sabertooth or Crosshair.

Back