• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i7 5820K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meatball0311

Registered
I just want to know if these temps are ok. I ran AIDA64 @4.5GHz 1.275v for 4 hours and I hit a top temperature of 85c and I also ran IntelBurn Test for 5 passes and had a 91c top temperature. My idle temp is running in the mid 40's. Do I need to be concerned with these temps?

They should be fine. You can monitor them while doing normal tasks if that gives you peace of mind. 85-90 is the high end but not the limit. the CPU will throttle at 100°C

What's the rest of the system?
Temps should be fine, I wouldn't run 90°C+ for extended usage, but if it only hits that in stressing you're fine.

I updated my signature with my new rigs specs.

Thanks for the info I feel much better now.

I have another question...... I only touched the multiplier and core voltage on my OC... is there anything I can do to get a lower core voltage? (currently at 1.275v)

For 4.5GHz your vCore of 1.275V is pretty low.
What does your vCore read during stress tests via monitoring?

I believe it is reading (and I am assuming this is the vCore reading in Core Temp 1.2) VID 1.2765v

It's easier, to me, to read the vCore in CPUz. It looks like you're reading the correct voltage, just double check.

Your LLC is dead on then.

Go ahead and try lowering the vCore to see what you can get and stay stable. You may or may not shave some off the top.

So I am at 1.275v now.... How much I lower it by? And do I have to lower by increments of 5?

You can lower in whatever increment the motherboard allows.
Try dropping 0.01V at a time and see where your stability ends up each time.

I am thinking of trying to find out how high I can go. I am thinking of trying 4.6GHz. What benefits do I have for going over 4.5GHz? What negatives will it do?

I tried 4.6GHz with a vCore of 1.3v and ran AIDA64 and it shut down. So no go on 4.6GHz at 1.3v..... is it safe for a 5820K to go beyond 1.3v?

I have read that going over 1.3v is not safe for the 5820K, but it was in a forum so I don't know how valid that is. Are you sure I can go over 1.3v?

You can go up to 1.35v without issue if your temps are in line, which I doubt, as you are already hitting [email protected].

Worth a try anyway.

P.S.: on Haswell, the LLC affects the vrin and not the vCore.

It seems I was not stable at 1.275v so I just ran AIDA64 for 14 hours with my settings of 4.5GHz @ 1.3v and it had no problems. According to Real Temp GT 3.70 my top temp was 90.

Would you consider me stable?

Do you think I should try for higher speed?

Last edited:
I think I will stay here for a while until I feel like trying for a higher speed. Thanks to all for your help!

Back