• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speedfan config help (and questions about a PWM splitter)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

Hi all. So ive got my AIO cooler set up, a Deepcool Captain 240ex. Im unsure of how to run the fans, however. They are Deepcool TF120 fans like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835856050

The setup came with a PWM hub that has spots for 4 fans off 1 pwm header. I was only planning on running two fans but even then, i had some people advise me against running more than one fan off of one header so did not use it. Instead, i plugged one of the fans into the pwm header next to the CPU PWM header on my board, and the fan into the "rear fan" PWM header. I downloaded speedfan and configured both fans to crank up automatically (controlled by speedfan) based on a fan curve i made. Problem i have is that i can be sitting idle, or web browsing, or doing rather non-intensive stuff but quick spikes in CPU usage causes temps to jump slightly which tells speedfans to pulse the fans up....at which point they quickly slow back down. Then pulse back up. Then slow back down....you get the point. I dont like this behavior. If i run my games without speedfan running, the CPU gets too hot. It isn't telling the fans to spin fast enough, so i sorta need something like speedfan to ensure i get everything out of these. The AIO pump is plugged into the CPU pwm header fyi.

This is the deepcool fan hub: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6J32WP1382

Here is my fan curve setup. I have it like this for both fans so they match.
download_20160826_133608.jpg

Does anyone have any advice on how to configure this better? Or if using the non-powered fan hub is safe and a better route to go? I tried using the built in powered fanhub/controller on my dukase v2 case, but its some sort of voltage control and the fans simply turn off at medium and low. Only run at max power on the high setting (all other fans connected to it work fine on this controller, just not the tf120s).

Thanks in advance!

If the hub is powered from somewhere besides the motherboard it doesn't matter how many you run on one header.

(I'm mobile, so I wasn't going through the links, sorry)

If the hub is powered from somewhere besides the motherboard it doesn't matter how many you run on one header.

(I'm mobile, so I wasn't going through the links, sorry)

No it isn't powered, that's why I was advised against using it originally.

I'd run the pump off one header and all your fans off of a powered splitter on the other connector, controlling both by temp.

I'd run the pump off one header and all your fans off of a powered splitter on the other connector, controlling both by temp.

The pump is currently on its own header, the cpu pwm header already. I read some stuff about how fans on non-cpu pwm headers can pulse up and down because of how the pwm signals are modulated differently than a cpu pwm header. I would imagine a powered header hub would come with software to control it by temp? Cheap ones I've seen are just the header hub, which would probably bring be back to speedfan no? And then here I am again lol.

Why not use the motherboard software?

Im unaware of motherboard software to do this. I tend to minimize using prepackaged mobo software as i think most of it is bloatware pretty much. What is intel's utility for this called?

Check the download page for your motherboard. If there's a software for it, it'll be there.

Check the download page for your motherboard. If there's a software for it, it'll be there.

Well i got the utility....doesn't seem very robust. My rad fans are "chassis inlet fan" and "chassis outlet fan" i guess.

Intel utility1.jpg

Intel utility2.jpg

Speedfan still works properly? It never worked right in 2005...

Takes some configuration but yeah it works pretty good, i just need to learn it better to get the fans to behave the way i want with it. Poked around in it a little more and i dont notice the pulsing of the fans as much but im not sure if its cuz i have the AC on in the house now or if i did a meaningful change lol.

Back