• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Fury cleaning / HBM Thermal Paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eaks77

Registered
Hello community!

I've had a AMD Fury for over a year now and have noticed that it's GPU temps are getting higher while under load. The fans and heatsink are covered in dust as well. I want to take this apart and clean it as I have with other cards... cautiously! I always get nervous when doing this kind of thing!

Because this card is a littler bit different, does anyone have any advice? Also, do the HBM's get new thermal paste like the GPU?

Thanks!

No different in the least.

Wipe off the paste and reapply on the core. You will see exactly where you need to put paste when you take the heatsink off. That said, why not just blow the dust out and move on..? Paste doesn't need replaced unless you break it's seal. So if you don't take the heatsink off, you have no worries.

Hey EarthDog,

Thanks for the response! I'm going to try blowing the dust out and see how it goes... but my inner OCD likes the idea of replacing the thermal paste.... but I also have a worry about doing it. Does anyone know if there's someone out there that refurbishes GPU's or does this kind of work?

Do it yourself. It really is easy. I'm sure if you googlad 'replace thermal paste fury x' there will be a video. :)

Hey EarthDog,

Thanks for the response! I'm going to try blowing the dust out and see how it goes... but my inner OCD likes the idea of replacing the thermal paste.... but I also have a worry about doing it. Does anyone know if there's someone out there that refurbishes GPU's or does this kind of work?

I won an HD 6750 in a contest once. It was DOA, so they sent me a replacement GPU which was a refurbished HD 6850. When I got it and tested it out, it's temps would skyrocket like you wouldn't even believe. Turns out, when they "refurbished" the card, they didn't even bother to remove the old thermal paste and instead just added more to it. I cleaned it all up. and replaced it, now it's as cool as a cucumber. On a side note, I don't think I've ever used that phrase before.

So anyway, as EarthDog already said, you'll probably be better off doing it yourself, and it is easy. It's just a matter of removing the screws holding the heatsink on, cleaning the old stuff off properly, and adding a little dab of new paste and reassembling.

Back