• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1070 - Recommended brand?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satyrist

Hi,

What's a recommended 1070 brand to get, that isn't as affected by coil whine on average?

Or is it generally accepted that all 1070's will have the potential for coil whine equally, so just go with the one that's got what I'm looking for as far as budget/performance?

Thanks

The hands down champion for customer service is EVGA. Performance potential seems pretty equal across all the cards of the same class so far. I'm subbing this thread with great interest, though. The card I wanted went out of stock the day I had the money and it looks like I can't afford it by the time it's available again. So I'm definitely interested in alternatives.

+1 to EVGA their CS is simply the best.

I'm with EVGA for PSU's as well. Great company I wouldn't buy another brand if EVGA makes it.

+1 to EVGA their CS is simply the best.

I'm with EVGA for PSU's as well. Great company I wouldn't buy another brand if EVGA makes it.

I got a EVGA 750W Gold PSU about a week ago for this build....It seemed only a bit more than the 650W that had been getting suggested.

Any....... seriously. The chances of one using Customer service isn't high to start, and then to have a bad experience also isn't likely. But hey, people hold grudges and opinions are like buttholes... everyone has one. ;)

They will all really overclock the same. Noise on maftermarket cards are similar.. most a really quiet. To that end, I would get one that has aftermarket cooling, looks good in your machine, and is the cheapest. EVGA, ASUS, Giga, MSI, etc... all solid. Don't make the choice harder than it needs to be. ;)

I have an EVGA 1070 FTW and MSI 1070 Aero.
They OC equally
The EVGA with it's ACX3 cooling runs significantly cooler that the MSI
I detect no coil whine from either...but, my hearing may not be as acute as other's ;)

I wished we lived in a world where everything is equal and rosy.;)

You could... it's just a matter of looking at the facts. In the case of gpus and motherboards for example. They all perform about the same. The difference is in the cooler and any particular problems with a lkne. So far, we haven't seen any. But all after market coolers are notably more quiet than reference. Between them, not much. They will a overclock the about the same.

If there is anything I learned doing this for as long as I have, it's that people sweat the details entirely too much. If items have the features you need, and the theme you want, just grab the cheapest one.

My world is pretty sweet not having to worry over the little things.

You don't keep your equipment long enough to have problems, when you review products you contact the manufacture when you have problems, we all don't have these luxuries.

I do keep things shorter than the average bear indeed. I flip through GPUs pretty often (every generation). I upgrade my base system, CPU/Mobo, every couple of years as well. I just now got rid of (well its sitting here collecting dust) my 5820K bought on launch day (8/2014) and have been running on the X99 OC Formula since I reviewed it nearly two years ago as well.

But from an RMA standpoint, I email them just like everyone else except when I'm in the MIDDLE of reviewing a product. In that case, I do directly contact our reps for resolution. Once its completed however and the part goes into my PC, I am no different than anyone else with RMA going through the same process and procedures you would. I also buy parts too. ;)

I'd say since around 2004, I have probably had to RMA maybe 4-6 things (If I wasn't honest, I could have RMA'd about 10 other things I killed in one way or another). I had one troublesome experience in that time. But still go back to that vendor.

I went with EVGA for my 1080 purchase in part due to CS, and really only because the CS seems to be consistent, no other reason. Gigabyte has held product for months at a time as has ASUS, I simply don't want to deal with that again for a simple RMA.

That said, while my 1080 FTW is fantastic and all, I have a soft spot for the HoF cards and the 1080 HoF is NO exception.... My only dealing with Galax was with a 980 SoC I picked up from EarthDog actually, and they were surprisingly quick with a turnaround time of a week when I needed to RMA. Sent problem card in on Monday, got new card from RMA on Saturday, so color me impressed for a company that only barely has it's toes still in NA.

Last edited:
I'm an EVGA fanboy...so...good choice! :D

The ACX 3.0 cooling on the new EVGA 10xx cards is super silent. I can barely hear it even when it's cranked up to 90%!

If you have the room you may take a look at the Zotac GTX 1070. I have the AMP Extreme edition card but they do have the smaller two fan one that works as well.

I'm likeliest to get the EVGA version linked earlier in the thread....Simply more because their CS (should it be needed) is a notch or three above Asus or Gigabyte for RMA's.

Thank you.

Any....... seriously. The chances of one using Customer service isn't high to start, and then to have a bad experience also isn't likely. But hey, people hold grudges and opinions are like buttholes... everyone has one. ;)

They will all really overclock the same. Noise on maftermarket cards are similar.. most a really quiet. To that end, I would get one that has aftermarket cooling, looks good in your machine, and is the cheapest. EVGA, ASUS, Giga, MSI, etc... all solid. Don't make the choice harder than it needs to be. ;)

Couldn't agree with your sentiments more, my inno3D iChill GeForce GTX 1070 arrived today all for the princely sum of £400 (530 USD). First GeForce since the GeForce 2 GTS...

Last edited:
Back