• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clock_Watchdog_Timeout BSODs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeonCancerCandy

ever since upgrading from my 2500k/z77/ddr3 to 6700k/z170/ddr4 i've been randomly getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSODs.
I can't find a pattern to it. It's pretty random.
Using BlueScreenViewer none of the bugcheck strings show that, so idk what is causing it.
It seems a lot of my blue screens are caused by hal.dll though.

Is it related to my overclock? I ran a memtest and didnt get any errors. Not sure what else i should be looking for.

*edit*

Googling all my bugcheck codes i found it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557211(v=vs.85).aspxa

but now how do i fix it?

Bug Check Strong: -empty-
Bug check code: 0x00000101
Parameter 1: 00000000`00000018
Parameter 2: 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3: ffffd001`b1083180
Parameter 4: 00000000`00000006
Caused by driver: hal.dll
Caused by address: hal.dll+11ce
Processor: x64
Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+142940

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the only way to fix HAL is a wipe and OS re-install.
I assume you just migrated your old HD/OS to the new system.

0x101.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, the only way to fix HAL is a wipe and OS re-install.
I assume you just migrated your old HD/OS to the new system.

yeah i just installed the new mobo/cpu/ram and updated the drivers. thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

Most likely core instability. Try a Vcore bump-up...

damn i was hoping it wasn't OC related i didnt want to give it more vcore XD

Only time i ever had Watchdog errors was unstable overclock if it helps any ?

The watchdog error is a byproduct of hal.dll being F'ed up because of the hardware change without OS reinstall. It happens sometimes. Lesser with W7 on up, but it still happens.
hal = hardware abstraction layer
You confused the OS by changing hardware without a reinstall.
Yes, sometimes you can just change hardware and install the correct new drivers, but sometimes you can't get away with just that.

Carrona's studies suggest the cause order was: Device driver, BIOS bug, hardware defect.

Significant Posts: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-...lock-interrupt-bsod-101-error.html#post356791

These types of error messages are relatively simple, from a certain viewpoint: as frequently happens during normal processing, one core (processor) attempted to get the attention of another core, in order to synchronise their activites with respect to an operation that requires processor coordination. Described using "official" terminology:

"CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
An expected clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor in an
MP system within the allocated interval. This indicates that the specified
processor is hung and not processing interrupts."

The trigger for the crash is the "sender/requestor" processor going "wtf? why is there still no response after almost half a second?!?" Those inter-processor interrupts (IPIs) are some of the most critical activity imaginable, and an unrequited IPI is absolutely lethal - hence the crash.

AMD procs had known issues which manifested themselves in this manner under Vista and Windows 7. There were/are many possible problem permutations, some solved through BIOS updates, and some necessitating fiddling with the "Translation Lookaside Buffer" (TLB), as per torrentg's suggestion to look up 0x101 and AMD and TLB.

Your real aim is to give yourself the best possible chance of discovering a software cause for the target processor to go unresponsive, and thereby avoid the most obvious conclusion - that the processor is periodically unresponsive because of hardware-level defects

I can confidently tell you that the browsers, apps, and games cannot be the root cause of this problem, even though I don't doubt your observation that the operation of certain software seems to more easily trigger the crash. What you're looking for will be in one of the following categories:

a) BIOS bug
b) a driver whose activity is causing the target processor to lock up
c) a hardware defect (temperature, voltage, dust, RFI, outright borkedness...)

- H2SO4

How does it work at stock clocks?

*shrug* have never ran this processor at stock clocks more than the first 30 mins or so of it's life.
I get this crash like once every week and i can't intentionally replicate it. I'd have to run it at stock clocks for like a month to see if that fixed it.

I get a feeling it is the OS being corrupt from the hardware change. when i had the 2500k i never got a crash from this error, then i switch to this cpu and suddenly start getting crashes with this error? and i OC'd my 2500k by a way larger margin than this 6700k.

*shrug* have never ran this processor at stock clocks more than the first 30 mins or so of it's life.
I get this crash like once every week and i can't intentionally replicate it. I'd have to run it at stock clocks for like a month to see if that fixed it.

I get a feeling it is the OS being corrupt from the hardware change. when i had the 2500k i never got a crash from this error, then i switch to this cpu and suddenly start getting crashes with this error? and i OC'd my 2500k by a way larger margin than this 6700k.
Only one way to find out.
Stock clocks for a while, or fresh install.
I'm betting it will still occur on stock clocks.

Back