• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen Repair Galaxy S7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge that's a little over 3 months old and I cracked the screen. First cell phone in more than 20 years that I damaged, and I don't have insurance on the phone either. I know, not very smart on a $700. phone, but it's cracked and I need it fixed now before it gets any worse. It started out with a fairly small crack, you could see it but not feel it. Today the crack got a lot bigger and now it's through the glass. Has anyone had their screen repaired on the S7? I see a lot of posts about the screen being very hard to repair, I watched a YouTube video of the repair and it's about as tough as it gets so I'm not going to attempt this one! I'm not too sure what we have locally for phone repair but I think I'm going to send this back to Samsung for the repair if it's not too expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_3035.JPG
    IMG_3035.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 631
There are shops in MA that will fix it on craigslist. I paid $170 to sony to fix my z3 and it went to texas (turnaround was a month). A week later it broke again lol. I tossed it in the trash.

There are shops in MA that will fix it on craigslist. I paid $170 to sony to fix my z3 and it went to texas (turnaround was a month). A week later it broke again lol. I tossed it in the trash.

Yeah, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I might attempt a repair myself but I'll look around for a local repair first.

our officemax store here will fix screens on phones. here they are as cheap as anywehre to get it done. the wifes galaxy s6 cost $200 to fix

It's not an easy fix if you're planning on just replacing the glass or having someone else do it. I can't personally attest to the S7, but I replaced the screen on my S5 Active a little over a year ago and that was a trip on its own. I ended up just buying the whole screen with the glass because it was near impossible to remove the glass from the LED screen without cracking it - so I can only imagine how much harder it is with the curved edges on the sides.

AMOLED screens in phones have gotten so thin and fragile that it will most likely break unless you plan on spending a considerable amount of time heating up the glass with a heatgun and every so slowly using wire, playing cards, or another type of tool to peel the broken glass off of your LED screen. I spent upwards of 3 hours on my S5 and still cracked the LED at the very end on the bottom. The other concern you'll have to watch out for is making sure the screen doesn't get too hot cause then you'll start to see burns on your LED with discoloration. My girlfriend got her phone repaired at a very highly rated shop in Chicago and they burned her screen in several places without offering any sort of explanation or restitution. I'm convinced a majority of these shops are fairly crooked and do sub-par work (I used to work freelance and frequent shops like these often), but that could just be the chicagoland area.

Overall if you did eventually plan to do it yourself it's a tedious process that involves careful and patient removal as you saw in the YouTube video most likely. Putting the new glass on without getting air bubbles between the glass and LED can be hard too. You have to use the right about of UV glue and apply just the right amount of pressure as to not cause the glue to overflow.

Many shops do these types of repairs poorly so if you decide to 3rd party repair the phone watch out for cheap/quick fixes.

Your best bet is to most likely buy a new AMOLED with the glass and just replace the whole display unit. I do not know what type of glue you'll need to set the display unit in place - that you'd have to look up yourself. Sending it to Samsung is most likely a temporary death sentence, you won't see it for at least a month or longer.

Overall if you did eventually plan to do it yourself it's a tedious proces

Wow, thank you for that very detailed and informative reply TechWizard, I really appreciate that! :thup:

I've got a screen protector and a case coming from Amazon, I think the screen protector will keep the glass together and prevent it from breaking more. I will keep the phone as long as I can and then just buy another one when the time comes. I've decided not to send it to Samsung or a local repair shop, I'll put the money towards a new phone when I have to.

At least get some quotes from local shops on how much they'd charge to perform the repair, you might be surprised how cheap some of them are.

At least get some quotes from local shops on how much they'd charge to perform the repair, you might be surprised how cheap some of them are.
I will do that if (or when) the phone gets worse. Right now the screen and everything else functions perfectly, I just hope it will last a while longer until I can buy a new phone.

And don't feel dumb about not getting the insurance, when my s6 got run over by a car and needed a new screen the deductible alone would have been as much as the repair not including the monthly premium

And don't feel dumb about not getting the insurance, when my s6 got run over by a car and needed a new screen the deductible alone would have been as much as the repair not including the monthly premium

I hear ya, the deductible is $200. so I declined insurance!

My wife cracked her Galaxy S5 screen all the way across in a straight line the day after she got it, though your break is much worse I'm sorry to say. Anyway, we put one of the nice Tech Armor tempered glass screen protectors (which was literally on its way from Amazon when she cracked it...) on and it has held up for a year and a half so far. She has six months to go and can finally replace it. :)

My wife cracked her Galaxy S5 screen all the way across in a straight line the day after she got it, though your break is much worse I'm sorry to say. Anyway, we put one of the nice Tech Armor tempered glass screen protectors (which was literally on its way from Amazon when she cracked it...) on and it has held up for a year and a half so far. She has six months to go and can finally replace it. :)
Nice, glad to hear it!! :clap::thup: I actually have a similar screen protector coming, and a case!! Thanks for the vote of confidence though!

Back