• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: How do I overclock my i7-6800k ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jomsjoms

Registered
Hi,

I am a total noob in overclocking. I want to overclock my i7-6800k to around 4Ghz. I've read and watched youtube but I am still uncertain. Can you guys give me a step by step things to do? I kept reading that I need to increase the multiplier then test then increase again until i get an error, then i increase the voltage until the error goes away then increase again the multiplier, etc.

Anyway here is my computer setup:
i7-6800k
Noctua NH-D15s (single fan only)
Corsair 780T case (stock fans)
Asus X99 Deluxe U3.1 (version 1 only - BIOS updated to latest)
Gskill ripjaws 32GB RAM (4x8GB)
Geforce GTX 760 (soon to be GTX1070 or 1080)
Corsair AX860i power supply
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD - 512GB
Samsung 850 Pro SSD - 512GB
WD Black 4TB HDD
WD RE 6TB HDD
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

My usage = Photoshop / Lightroom / Light premiere (to study it this year) / Light after effects (to study it next year) / Light gaming (Starcraft 2 - once or 2x a week)

Questions:

1) I've seen others set the multiplier to 4.2x then voltage to 1.22v (to give them 4.2Ghz) but I only want 4Ghz (for mild overclock) so maybe I should set my voltage to 1.1v or 1.2v first?

2) Some said to use stock setting for Ram while others say to set it to XMP before overclocking. Which is right?

3) What program should I use to test? Some say to avoid prime as it will destroy your computer. Should I use Aida64, XTU, Prime, etc? (I prefer the free version but I can pay if it is really that much better). How long do I need to run it?

A step-by-step guide would be really good.

Thanks.

For a mild overclock at 4.0GHz I would just see what CPU-Z shows for vcore voltage when testing with prime95 at stock clock, then up the multiplier slowly, then test again if it crashes raise vcore voltage slowly.

1. As wingman said, see what your stock vcore is either in the BIOS or in CPUz. Set that voltage manually, then try to set 40x multiplier to get 4Ghz.
2. Stock setting is for compatibility/JEDEC specification for the platform. XMP profiles are stock for the sticks. Personally, I leave the memory alone and clock the CPU. Once I am stable on the CPU, I will enable XMP.
3. P95 is fine. Use small FFT for the CPU and Blend once you raise the XMP profile to test the memory and some CPU. AIDA64 works fine for me. I test with whatever is set at default, and then check off CPU only.

I have installed CPU-Z and just to test it. I am on my home computer i7-3820 on Asus Sabertooth X79 (my new computer is in the office).

The core voltage keeps jumping around from 1.056 to 1.072 to 1.064 to 1.144 to 1.248 to 1.112 to etc. Is this normal? I thought all along that the voltage doesn't change. Why is mine jumping?

Note: I did not overclock my home computer. Everything is in default (stock) settings.

Thanks.

Normal. Power savings are on I am assuming. If you leave the PC on idle it will drop, but when you try to do something, it bumps up.

Put a load on it, say run the AIDA stress test or somethng and see what it says. You want your voltage under load to set it to.

Back