• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trip.Jaxon

Registered
Just finished my build a couple weeks ago, and trying to get into squeezing some juice out of it. Have done some research online, and with youtube....seems a bit daunting, everyone has much different advice on just how a good OC should go. So I did some stress testing, and took some snaps of what my system is looking like while testing. Looking for maybe some pointers, and what, if anything I might be doing wrong, or right LoL. And advice will be much appreciated. Oh...and I'm brand new to the forum :)

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 182855 View attachment 182856 View attachment 182857 View attachment 182858

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Luta! (though none of the links work for me... all say invalid link specified on an OCF page).

Would love to see complete system specs from the OP in print... or maybe if he posts again, he can then attach to the forums. :)

Tried attaching them, this time. Sorry I could only see an " insert image" button.

- - - Updated - - -

4.5 spd.PNG 4.5 stable.PNG 4.5memory.PNG This is the newest using multi, and fsb seems legit after 30 mins on small fft p95

Attachments

• CPU-Z-SPD.PNG
    CPU-Z-SPD.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 85
  • CPU-Z-Memory.PNG
    CPU-Z-Memory.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 86
  • cpu-z-cpu.png
    cpu-z-cpu.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Small FFT Test&info.PNG
    Small FFT Test&info.PNG
    64 KB · Views: 86
Oh ****, I thought I put my rig in my sig, Sorry. fx-8320, mobo-asus m5a99fx pro, pny 16gb 1866 ram, kraken x61 cooler, pny 240gb ssd. gtx960 gfx card. Running on 4.5ghz OC. Had to end up putting a fan on the backside of the mobo at the socket, and one on the vrms, but temps are way down now. NZXT ha;e 92 v2 550w psu, nzxt s340 case.

This about right?

Case: NZXT S340
Cpu: FX-8320
CPU Cooler: Kraken X61
RAM: PNY Anarchy 16gb 1866
Storage: PNY 240gb SSD
GFX: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 Windforce 2gb
PSU: NZXT Hale 92V2 550 Watt Modular
MoBo: Asus M5A99fx Pro V2.0

AMD really isn't my thing, but from what little I know.. seems like a decent voltage for the clockspeed. Glad you put the extra cooling on the board too! The object of any over clock is to be using the least amount of voltage your cpu needs to be stable, and keep temps low. 60C is about as high as you want those though...

... but will let a more experienced amd member clarify. :)

Thanks for those replies. I've been reading up, in the forums...so I'm learning some things. But always good to have an extra set of eyes on things. Thanks, guys.

Looking at those numbers you may have another 100MHz in that system. Your CPU (socket) temp is still 16° higher than the package(core) That's one of the draw backs of the M5A mobo. I had one initially during my first FX OC and had to stop because of high socket temps. Since you've said you have already added a fan on the back there really isn't much more you can do to bring that temp down. Either way you're good up to ~ 70°C for the socket and mid 60's for the core. So there's still a bit of room there.
Have you tried blend at that speed?

This is just now, I think it's about as far as I can go. Not as snappy as I thought it would be. But MEh. And I'm in Lewis Center, off of Polaris, in Columbus.blend test after about 30 mins.
4.6 Stable.PNG

Just wondering, the power settings under win7, the power saver, balanced, and performance settings. Which should I be using?

Hilliard. :)

Anyway, it's up to you on the power settings. Leaving it alone should allow your system to throttle down when at idle while, performamce mode leaves it at your overclocked settings.

I changed it to balanced settings, and enabled cnq in bios. Gonna run the oc for a week, see how it does real world. And read all the things posted here while I do it :)

Ok...so my n00b mistake...I used sub par double sided tape for the fan on the back of my mobo. The fan came loose, and ended up breaking a few blades off the fan. Sufficed to say I had to run to Microcenter grab some better double sided tape and a couple new 80mm fans. Got everything back on, then booted into bios, and realized I didn't save my oc profile, when I took it back down to stock, after the fan fiasco. So I redid all my oc, and have been running p95 all morning playing with settings, right now I'm at 4.5 and seemingly stable after 2 hours of blend, and an hour of small fft.I'm gonna show the snip of the hwmon. And see if I can get some advice to how much more I can/should go based on temps. To me..it's looking like I might be at max, granted I've only had to bump once over stock cpu voltage, but I know much more oc and I'm gonna have to pour the juice on this thing, which will in turn create more heat. So...any advice from the masters? 4.5Stable.PNG

Back