• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing 2 OS on the same storage device

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hi forum I have the following storage devices . 1 samsung 500 gb SSD ( primary ) 1 kingston 120 gb ssd ( secondary ) and a 1 tb toshiba hard drive for steam games and shadowplay.
I have been using windows 7 for years and I never had an issue with it . but I wanna have my pc ready for dx12 which forces me to ditch windows 7 .
is there a way I could install 10 and choose between it and my windows 7 without having to do a clean install. I dont feel like digging for old files that could potentially be wiped out with a clean install. I wanna keep my 7 os with all its settings saved but have the option to boot using 10 . is that possible thank you

thanks it worked. and holy crap the sli performance is a tad better now. only thing is i hate the os itself. I like 7 better but I'll keep 10 for gaming

Hi! there
for not opening new thread, i write here
I have install Easybcd and everything is ok
when I enable the system I have the "step" to choose between win 7 and win 10
But when I shutdonw the system from the win 10, if I will enable it after a while the system start only from win 10....???
Do anyone know how I can fix that so not only to "have the step to choose OS from reboots" but if I shutdown from any OS to have it???
Thank you in advance!:)

Last edited:
Start EasyBCD inside Windows 10... CHECK Windows 7.
Reboot.
Does it reboot into Windows 7 now?

Start EasyBCD inside Windows 10... CHECK Windows 7.
Reboot.
Does it reboot into Windows 7 now?

yes I did it but if i want to have default win 10 or I enter to win 10 and shutdonw the system when I'll enable it doesn't have step to choose.. it start with win 10 and with reboot choice i have the step to choose OS

Can you post what you want more clearly?
1. Do you want to set default Windows version?
Or
2. Do you want to be ASKED which version of Windows you want to boot in?

1. or 2.?

Do not set Bootloader timeout to 0, set it to at least 2 seconds, otherwise you won't be able to change OS at bootup by repeatedly pressing keyboard arrows to pause at the bootup OS screen selection so you can make a choice if needed at bootup.

Simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS. Download Page: http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1 [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Tools > Options >
CHECK: Expert mode
CHECK: Remember the BCD Backup directory upon exit
UNCHECK: Everything else

Display Options TAB:
Default TAB at start up: Edit Boot Menu
CHECK: Everything else

Goodmorning, thank you for your time and responses,
..Ok, with the above settings I will explain you what is my problem about
I enable my pc and after the first post from rom/bios I have the step to choose between the the two OS{win 7 or win 10}
For exable I choose win 7 and Itake the desktop to do my job I am doing it and shutdonw the pc
After a hour I have another job to do but I want the win 10 to that I anable pc I take the step to choose and I am in WINDOWS 10..,ok so far, I do my job and shutdonw the pc from win 10
If later I will enable the system I can;t take the step for choose OS my system directly open in windows 10 andif i want to have the step I must reboot the system to take the step and choose win 7:(
If I am not clear please write to me to corrent anything you will suggest me:)

You may tell me that if I remove the easyBcd the system defaut give the step every time to choose between the Os but if I choose Win 10 the system must rebboot and open the desktop for the appropriate Os maybe win 10 what that fo any reason..
So I wrote here if you or someone know the appropriate setting's to have the step to choose OS without reboot's and delay of loading..if I am clear from the above.

Ηolo solves the above if Ι choose default OS win 7 but when I want win 10 deafault how I can do that??

Last edited:
From Windows 7 or Windows 10, you start EasyBCD and you get this:
EasyBCD.png

YOU CHECK next to new default OS, and you REBOOT.

If you set the Count down on the picture to 2 seconds or more, then you can also KEEP PRESSING ARROW KEYS when you power ON, to select the Windows version you want to boot into.

You can try explaining again if we don't understand each other, it's okay, you can try asking a different a way, and we'll understand sooner or later...

But DEFAULT Windows version is only the one that is CHECKED.

Aright, sorry for the misunderstanding c627627 .
I have install EasyBcd in windows 10.
I check/uncheck the settings that you have wrote above .
I shutdown my pc and when I enable it I show the windows 10 desktop not the "step" before to choose in what OS I want entrance.
Only with reboot I take the "step" above, and I think there is not other way to do that…??
Now I think my explanation is better..??

We need to keep going. Let me try this time. Let's say you are inside Windows 10.
Choose 1 or 2

1. You want to set Windows 7. That means every time you press power you want to go into Windows 7.
or
2. You want to press power, then start pressing arrow keys and choose Windows 7 or 10, before you boot into any Windows.

1 or 2?

Hahahhih thank you very very much for that help Sir!
Yes I want option 2.. please:)

okay,
first, do you see where it says Count down from 2 in the EasyBCD picture above? Set that number of seconds higher, just to experiment, to 10 seconds.

Next, experiment with this,
Right click on desktop > New > Shortcut >
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0
> Next > Finish.

That shortcut will FULLY shut down your computer.
That means it will not SKIP any screens next time you power on.

Here is a shortcut for FULLY rebooting without skipping anything:
%windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 00

Those two shortcuts + higher number of seconds for countdown should solve your problem.

Ok i did it and it worked for me, the first shorcut to shutdonw from win 10
when I enable pc I take the step to choose OS!
Thank you a lot for your time c627627!!!:)

Back