• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply upgrade from an old Silverstone Strider 1200W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mokrunka

Hey all. I'm thinking about upgrading my psu (system shown below) to something less overkill and more energy efficient. I happened to see one of the reviews that someone here did on the Seasonic Titanium series (specifically the 750W), and I was impressed.

Do you think I'll have a problem with either power or sufficient cabling (keep in mind I have 8 SSD/HDDs I need to power) with the system below. Doing some quick guesstimates, I'm thinking 750 W would be more than enough power, so I guess I'm more worried about having enough SATA power connectors. Also, what if I add a second 1080 somewhere down the line? Would I be better off going with the 850W in that case?

FWIW I've been very happy with my 1200W Gold PSU, I just want something a bit more energy efficient. The Silverstone has lasted me about 6 or 7 years so far!

Thanks Lochekey! Just curious, why one of these over the Seasonic ones that people rave about? (don't remember who reviewed it, so sorry if that was you!)

The system in your signature would happily run on a 550W PSU and not break a sweat (yes with 8 HDDs). ;)

The only way I would get a Platinum or Titanium unit is if I ran the rig in F@H like you may be doing. Otherwise, you will never make up the cost over the gold.

So long as you don't plan on going SLI, I would grab an EVGA 650W P2. If you plan on going SLI in the future, go 750W. You could SLI on that 650W with the 1080's... but, people like more headroom for whatever reason. :)

As far as why EVGA P2 series over seasonic... price. Same great Tier 1 level PSUs, but the EVGA's are arguably the best bang for your buck Tier 1 PSUs today.
EVGA 650W Platinum $100 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438055&cm_re=evga_p2-_-17-438-055-_-Product
Seasnoic 650W Platinum $160 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=Seasonic_titanium-_-17-151-158-_-Product

We haven't reviewed PSUs in years... so it wasn't us. :(

Last edited:
As ED said price mostly. I picked that 850w unit because of the price being the same as the 750w unit currently due to the sale and you mentioned you may want to add a second gpu.

Back