• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have computer dilemma.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaosmachine420

This is my dilemma I need a way to get a secondary gaming computer either through another gaming laptop or get a cheaper decent laptop along with parts for a second computer for guests/recording games. I would only need 4 things to make the gaming tower to work which is the motherboard, cpu, video card, and ram preferably 8-16GB(depending on DDR type maybe). For either of the laptops I wouldn't care if they had a ssd I can install my own later, and would like to have each one have a 17.3 inch screen with the number pad. I was trying to price it out myself, but I was having trouble figuring out if the stuff I found would be the best price for performance that I need them. The few games might be played on the machines would be World of Tanks/World of Warship, Space Engineers, War Thunder, and maybe a Modded Minecraft. Probably the highest I could see going on either one is about $1000. Which one of these options would be the best for money?

You'll have a better performing desktop at $1K than a laptop... that said a laptop can play those games with a decent discrete GPU. You can make either work, honestly... so to me, its up to YOUR preference. Try 'building out' a desktop for that budget and a laptop and see which one gives you the best bang for the buck (the desktop).

I have 4 sticks of ram but ones 1600MHz and other is 1333 MHz would that matter if I used them.

The 1333MHz would bottleneck your 1600MHz sticks and they would all run at 1333MHz. Other than that it doesn't matter much. 1600 is fairly slow in terms of today's memory however. You could buy a DDR4 capable motherboard and buy 3000-3200MHz RAM if it is in your budget (best bang for your buck right now).

Back