• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltages going above what they're manually set to

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fordefy

Registered
So I have an issue with my 6700k. I'm currently running it at 4.4 Ghz at 1.2v with high LLC, Trident Z 3200 mhz ram @ 1.36v. The issue is I manually set my VCCSA to 1.06 and VCCIO to 0.96 v but they're both going above what they're set at. I'm getting peaks of 1.08v for VCCSA, which normally wouldn't be an issue except for yesterday it said my VCCSA had a max of 1.98v which is absurd.

So now i'm paranoid, these voltages shouldn't be going above what I manually set them as; even if the 1.98v was a false reading I'm still getting vccsa peaks regularly above what it should be. Is this a problem with my motherboard?
vccsa.PNG

edit: I'm also getting CPU temperature readings of -88C and 109C from time to time, and gigabytes monitoring software keeps giving me voltage warnings:

voltagesPopup.png

It could simply be a by-product of running more than one monitoring software.

It could simply be a by-product of running more than one monitoring software.

Which? The false temperatures and the 1.98v or VCCSA constatnly going about what I set it to?

I basically keep HWInfo running, and I use Gigabytes System Information Viewer for fan curves. I'll try closing the Gigabyte Software to see if anything changes.

It's best to uninstall one TBH. Both pieces of software poll the same sensors which can cause erroneous reading.

Thanks. I uninstalled the gigabyte software and so far haven't seen any random spikes.

Excellent! :thup:

Didn't work. My VCCSA is set to 1.06, and I just got a message saying it went to 1.08 when it shouldn't be.

edit: 1.08v is not a big deal, but I'm concerned about it going above what I manually set it to. I had it set to 1.05 before and it hit 1.07, now at 1.06 it's hitting 1.08. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Do you have it set manually in BIOS or is it on auto and that's what it reads in BIOS? Most times the voltages will fluctuate even when set but auyo gives the motherboard/CPU more leeway to add voltage when it "thinks" it needs it.

Do you have it set manually in BIOS or is it on auto and that's what it reads in BIOS? Most times the voltages will fluctuate even when set but auyo gives the motherboard/CPU more leeway to add voltage when it "thinks" it needs it.

I have it set manually in the bios. I had it set to auto initially, I set XMP profile, went back and the "auto" settings had set the voltages to VCCIO = 0.96v and VCCSA = 1.06V. So I changed it from Auto and set it manually to those numbers because my OC was stable with Aida64, RealBench, X264 stress tests.

HWInfo doesn't actually show/monitor VCCIO so I have no idea if that is going above what I set it to as well, but VCCSA seems to regularly go to 1.08v when I was playing Battlefield 1 Beta earlier.

It just might be spread spectrum for the voltage fluctuation. I would not worry about it I just set my GA Z-170 HD3 board to XMP default and leave it alone.

It just might be spread spectrum for the voltage fluctuation. I would not worry about it I just set my GA Z-170 HD3 board to XMP default and leave it alone.
When you 'disable' spread spectrum it only affects the BCLK (that we can see)... It does not tighten up voltage tolerances that I have seen. Its about the clockgen and signal integrity/EMI prevention.

Really, these are, to me, typical voltage fluctuations and nothing to worry about.

When you 'disable' spread spectrum it only affects the BCLK (that we can see)... It does not tighten up voltage tolerances that I have seen. Its about the clockgen and signal integrity/EMI prevention.

Really, these are, to me, typical voltage fluctuations and nothing to worry about.

Alright so no need to get another motherboard? I only have 2-3 days left of the exchange policy so I wanted to make sure all left no stone unturned.

LOL, no. Voltage fluctuations between what is set in the bios and what windows reads is perfectly normal. .02V is nothing to worry about.

LOL, no. Voltage fluctuations between what is set in the bios and what windows reads is perfectly normal. .02V is nothing to worry about.

Alright thanks. Just out of curiousity, what's the limit here? +0.02v is fine but if it goes +0.05v? 0.1v? HWInfo doesn't exactly come with an uncertainty margin.

Part of the problem is that software isn't always accurate. You would really need to test things with a digital multi meter to be sure how off you 'really' are. That said, not sure there is a threshold... its just how it works. Much more than that though would be more annoying than a problem.

Did I miss what motherboard you have and set up in general? How about adding that info in your signature? :)

VCCSA and VCCIO Are ok up to about +0.2v (1.25v) on regular cooling which I set when really pushing things so the fluctuations you are seeing are very minimal.

Back