• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kaby Lake Announced

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the guessed at 200-400 MHz increase in speed is where the performance boost over Skylake is coming from, I'll still be in good shape. :)

Makes it sound pretty lackluster...

Yeah, read about that earlier. It had a 7% increase over 6700k, but only because of the higher base clock (turbod to 4.5 I believe). Maybe it will have a higher clock ceiling, but doesn't sound very worthwhile.

Yeah, read about that earlier. It had a 7% increase over 6700k, but only because of the higher base clock (turbod to 4.5 I believe). Maybe it will have a higher clock ceiling, but doesn't sound very worthwhile.

I concur. After reading I felt like there was very little to be gained performance wise, unless it's "the golden chip". Meh :shrug:

x86 CPU market is going to greatly slow down after this CPU

If it does go into mass production, we would only see Intel doing it. All the other foundries are so far behind, and they don't see too much benefit. Now that can all change rather quickly if Intel opens it doors like it did with Atmel and Altera. There are a lot of issues in 7/10nm and I haven't seen too much progress this year, just a lot of doubt.

That sounds good Intel can save some money on R&D for Die shrinks.:) I hope Intel left a little room for overclocking from the overclocking they have done.

Seems the greater improvements will be in video codec throughput. I can't remember where I read it, a couple of weeks ago, a Chinese site tossed a 5GHz number out as the turbo boost speed, supposedly stock at 4.5GHz on the high end -k model. Tempting to believe, but check with your doctor before strenuous musing.

Woo Hoo no more upgrades after Kaby lake LOL.:D

- - - Updated - - -

Seems the greater improvements will be in video codec throughput. I can't remember where I read it, a couple of weeks ago, a Chinese site tossed a 5GHz number out as the turbo boost speed, supposedly stock at 4.5GHz on the high end -k model. Tempting to believe, but check with your doctor before strenuous musing.

The i7 6700k will do 5.0GHz now.

Such a lackluster release from Intel provides a golden opportunity for AMD if they can deliver with Zen. After Haswell, Broadwell was a waste, Skylake a small improvement, now Kaby Lake is another Meh. Too bad AMD seems incapable of taking advantage of Intel's malaise.

After some thought, I just ordered an i3-6100 to get some left over parts into a working system again. Was debating if waiting for a Kaby would be worth it, but with the minor differences, long delay, and question if it would need a new chipset anyway, not really any point waiting.

Such a lackluster release from Intel provides a golden opportunity for AMD if they can deliver with Zen. After Haswell, Broadwell was a waste, Skylake a small improvement, now Kaby Lake is another Meh. Too bad AMD seems incapable of taking advantage of Intel's malaise.

Well, Intel's "malaise" may be due to AMD's ongoing inability to challenge Intel for several years. Zen might give them the hardware to do so, but that's only one step in regaining market share.

Makes me glad I went with Haswell/Devil's Canyon, because it looks as though I wouldn't have gained much in terms of performance by going with Z170 in Skylake or Kaby Lake architecture.

Well, Intel's "malaise" may be due to AMD's ongoing inability to challenge Intel for several years. Zen might give them the hardware to do so, but that's only one step in regaining market share.

Yeah, necessity is the mother of invention, and quite frankly Intel hasn't had much need to invent or innovate much lately. With AMD being on the same somewhat misguided architecture for the past 5 years or so, and with it being worse in some ways than Deneb and Thuban (Phenom II), Intel probably hasn't seen much point in investing time, energy, and money into new innovations to make their chips faster when their main competitor already hasn't been much of a threat lately.

I am hopeful that Zen will at least be worthwhile to take a look at though. Hope they've learned from their mistakes with Bulldozer, and Piledriver, and at least make something the outperforms them and the Phenom II CPU's and can at least get close to Intel's top chips on some socket type.

Last edited:
Back