• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking I think I broke something

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shlfrz

System schematics:
PSU 725W
GPU RX 480
CPU I7 6800k
cooling thermaltake
MOBO MSI x99a SLI PLUS
I OC'd today. Couldn't get the system past 3.8 GHZ even with 1.3V CPU in. I set the CPU RING ratio to 3500 MHZ. I also played with the xmp profile and set to 3000MHZ. I think I changed this back though. I think.... Then I powered off to see if the new settings were stable and the pc would no longer boot up. fans, gpu, and board all light up. I tried hitting the bios reset button. removing the CMOS battery, running w/o CMOS battery. None of this worked. I don't even get an attempted boot just no signal from the monitor. I removed the CPU to inspect to see if I damaged it. I returned the CPU, and now all the lights in the system blink and it trys to power up then turns off and then turns on blinks, turns off, etc. Please help me :??: thanks EDIT: I fixed the blinking problem the cpu water cooler was disconnected from the sys fan pins. It still won't boot though. I also shorted the CMOS reset pins and tried my switching to my backup CMOS.

Your water cooling pump wasn't running during testing? (If I read that right)
Any idea what temps you saw while overclocking?

I only tried to boot it once or twice with the water cooler pin disconnected. It was not boooting before that mistake. It doesn't make it to the bios so their is no way for me to check the temperature. I can't even drop it in someone elses rig because idk anyone who has lga 2011 v3 socket. Im heading to school but im going to try to fix it when I return in a few hours. I have tried using only 1 ram stick so I will start there.

I should clarify that the fans on the water cooler were on just not the pump.

That doesn't change anything at least out of the gate...nothing is flowing through the loop at a quick enough rate to cool the water. You may have some convection flow.. that's it.

I doubt you broke something with what you were doing. Sounds more like the PSU puked, component failed, motherboard puked, or something shorted out.

Do you have the "OC Genie" button pressed accidently on the motherboard? If so, unpress and try again. If you don't, try pressing it and rebooting (it might snap it out of a bad boot loop). Note, I would only do this with the power off and the AC plug disconnected...and I wouldn't run my PC long term with the OC Genie button pressed.

What is the make and model of the PSU? How old is the PSU?

Is your memory a "quad channel" memory kit?

Did you build the system yourself?

Does your cooling solution have a separate power cable? Check that.

I would first start by disassembling everything...take out the GPU, CPU, take out the memory, disconnect all of the power cables, disconnect all cables from the motherboard...etc. Disconnect power cables from all hard drives.

Next, I would go through in a methodical fashion and inspect the motherboard...looking for bent CPU socket pins, scratches on PCB traces (i.e. did you slip with a screwdriver), burn marks or burn smells on the motherboard, buldging "tin can" capacitors, etc.

Assuming that everything is OK, start to reassemble. When inserting the memory, make sure you have the chips in the correct slots if all slots are not filled. (i.e. it's a quad channel memory board, so you have to use the proper slots if only using 4 memory sticks).

Next methodically reconnect each cable. Make sure they are all fully seated and secure (i.e. SATA cables to drives, power cables to drives, power cables to motherboard/GPU/etc.).

Reconnect the AC power to the PSU and give it a whirl.

Ok I let the computer discharge overnight and only put 1 stick of ram in and disconnected non essentials . It booted just now and it booted to bios. All settings returned to default. idle at 27C. So I believe the CPU is ok. fine.

Then I turned the PC off and it doesn't turn on again so I believe Earthdog and jrclocker is right and it is a MOBO issue. or maybe even PSU.

Everything in this computer is brand new. I was runnning quad channel ram.

I did build it myself yes.

OC temp at idle was 31C / underload was 40C

im heading to the store to get a PSU tester now to rule that out

Last edited:
You don't need a tester. All you need is a jumper wire and a multimeter.
If you're going to buy something, buy a second PSU.

Also, what's the make and model of the PSU you have?

You don't need a tester. All you need is a jumper wire and a multimeter.
If you're going to buy something, buy a second PSU.

Also, what's the make and model of the PSU you have?

Idk why I didn't think to test it with a MM. The PSU failed 12v rail is only giving 11v. PSU is the culprit. PSU is Sentey XPP725-HS 725W.

So you bought a:

$280 GPU
$450 CPU
$200 motherboard

And a cheap power supply? :D

Agree with ATM...that is a good power supply.

I had to cut corners somewhere to stay in budget :facepalm: live and you learn I guess. I will pick up the PSU that you suggested. Thanks to everyone for helping me work through this issue.

If you're putting together another build sometime feel free to make a thread before hand with the planned component list, a lot of us can tell you at a glance if there are any glaring issues before things are purchased :)

Also, here's to hoping the PSU didn't kill anything!!

I will definitely be utilizing this forum in the future. I also am hoping the PSU didn't fry anything. It's going to be a while until I get the rig back up and running so it's the not knowing that's going to kill me.

One thing to never cheap out on is the PSU. Feed a system dirty power and you're asking for trouble.

But, you live and learn right? :) Now you know.
Hopefully with a new PSU you can get back to overclocking!

Adding to the pile, but yeah. Don't cheap out on a PSU. A failed CPU is a failed CPU. A failed GPU is a failed GPU. A failed HDD is a failed HDD.

But a failed PSU can take out anything connected to it. Which is everything.

A really bad PSU can also burn down your house.

Back