• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vertical Lines that linger on screen on startup, fade away after 20 mins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlerpyDerp

Registered
I've gotten vertical lines on my boot screen for about 20 minutes on each startup of windows for around a year now. This happens when the display is turned off for more than 2 hours, and the weird thing is, the vertical lines only show up once I boot into windows. The bios is fine, and I just replaced my Cpu, motherboard, and gpu to see if it fixes it. It doesn't.
I'm using a DVI D cable due to this monitor only being able to overclock to 120 hz with it. Keep in mind that I was having no issues with 120 hz and vertical lines last year.
Edit : I have essentially replaced all of my computer parts including the hard drive, but have kept the DVI Cable and the monitor, so I'm assuming its either a monitor or cable problem. I cannot Return the monitor as the company that sold it has gone out of business.
Here is a picture referring to what I see on windows boot. : , Notice that about a centimeter of screen is still visible and responsive.

Last edited:
Try a new cable. If that doesn't work, sounds like the monitor is the issue.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could open up the monitor and look for bad capacitors. I had all manner of poor behavior from a monitor about 5 years ago until it finally died. Five capacitors on the power supply board were obviously bulged and bad. Less than $6 at Radio Shack for new ones and an hour's work and it was fixed. That same monitor is at a neighbor's house and still working great right now. If you go that route, get caps rated for 105C temps. The inside of monitors gets hot and they frequently use less than great caps. The fact that your monitor eventually starts working is what leads me to suspect this is potentially the problem.

I just attempted to boot into safe mode, and succeeded with no lines. Reinstalling the graphics drivers and will give a heads up tomorrow to see if it is fixed.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could open up the monitor and look for bad capacitors. I had all manner of poor behavior from a monitor about 5 years ago until it finally died. Five capacitors on the power supply board were obviously bulged and bad. Less than $6 at Radio Shack for new ones and an hour's work and it was fixed. That same monitor is at a neighbor's house and still working great right now. If you go that route, get caps rated for 105C temps. The inside of monitors gets hot and they frequently use less than great caps. The fact that your monitor eventually starts working is what leads me to suspect this is potentially the problem.

Welp, I believe you might be right. This monitor can overclock to hit 120 hz, as advertised, but it will not go above 114 hz without the black lines appearing for 20 minutes. This solves my problem, as I can just use 114 hz until the 20 minute mark has passed. Thank you all for your help! I do believe the capacitors are shot.

Set the graphics driver to run 60Hz instead of 120Hz, see if your issues persist. Safe Mode won't load the graphics driver, so it wouldn't be running 120Hz.

Edit: you posted as I was typing.

Welp, I believe you might be right. This monitor can overclock to hit 120 hz, as advertised, but it will not go above 114 hz without the black lines appearing for 20 minutes. This solves my problem, as I can just use 114 hz until the 20 minute mark has passed. Thank you all for your help! I do believe the capacitors are shot.

When they start to fail they take longer to charge, then won't charge to capacity. If the caps are the problem it will creep in to lower refresh rates with time. The best part about recapping (besides fixing the problem) is firing it up after and saying "Yeah, I fixed that". :)

Yeah I just let the computer settle for 4 hours and it wont hit 100 hz without vertical lines...
Time to bust out the soldering iron!
Update : None of the capacitors looked bulged or leaked, should I still replace them? Will upload pics soon.

Last edited:
You keep mentioning overclocking the monitor, so I would hazard a guess that the overclocking has taken it's toll and the monitor controller will eventually die if you keep it overclocked. I'm sure you don't want to hear it, but go back to default clocks, and hope it last a long normal life till you can upgrade.

I can afford another monitor right now so I'm riding this thing to its grave. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back