• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it a good year (2016) to upgrade to HDR/DV TVs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

I am happy with my current TV. I do want to upgrade to 4k HDR/DV TV because even 1080p upscaled to 4k looks noticeably better than on 1080p sets using the same content but I am not sure if it is a good year to upgrade or wait until content becomes dominated by 4k HDR or DV.

There is always something better around the corner...

But if you are OK, wait until you are not or at least fel like you are missing something worthwhile...

I think I will wait for 4k HDR/DV content to dominate mainstream. Tbh I do not see enough streaming content out there to justify a 4k HDR tv. For now, I might upgrade to a Samsung UN55J6200 (1080p) or Sony XBR-55X810C (4k non-HDR). I will see. They both are relatively cheap (or should be if they go on sale at end of year) and I do not really care much for the 4k aspect or lack of HDR, not until enough HDR/DV content is commonly available and by that time 4k HDR TV sets should be easily affordable..

I have a question about them. On the RTings.com site, a support feature mentioned for both TVs is "Judder-free 24p via 60p" thru movies from 60 hz PC signal. What does this look like? Does this make smooth movements if I am watching movies on PC or something?

And what is the visual difference between that and motion interpolation (soap opera effect)? Does judder-free help make motion interpolation look better or what??

Last edited:
DLP. Obviously it won't give you guys the digitally displayed beauty of an astronomicaly priced tv such as a $10,000 wall sized one but it will negatethe, "need to get the latest & greatest" disposable tv mindset, and you can have a huge display for nothing.

Back