• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can the HD 6990 run doom 4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Doom is easily one of the most optimized games I've ever played.

A 7950 or a 280 series would be far and away better than a 6990. I've been playing with a 290 (non-x) at 1440p and most everything at max and with vulkan running, it holds around 60 fps or better depending on the situation.
Heck, there are 4 7970s for sale in the classifieds right now for 70 dollars each. You could crossfire two of them for not much more money than the 6990 and get a MUCH better experience for your money. That said, I agree with the others. You might be best off waiting for another 290 to pop up in the classifieds - that would be a better starting point, and the prices here are generally better than ebay.

Last edited:
The 280x with 3GB of ram probably will last 2 years seem to be the pace for games needing faster video cards and more ram at minim specification.

I just traded up 6 moths ago from a GTX 570 and I was doing ok on games that are First person shooter.

Last edited:
my budget is 200 us

- - - Updated - - -

sadly i dont think my pc supports crossfire or sli

Rx470 is a downgrade from the previously considered 290x, which can be found used easily for 175 or less.

They were talking about the non X 290 earlier. Anyways, I did not realize the 290X were going for that low right now, I checked ebay and there is a few decent ones on there going for about $160 right nowm that sounds like a good bet to me. Thanks Janus.

Maybe have a look on craigslist? Less people on craigslist know what their hardware is worth so you can probably get better deals. I just bought 2x r9 290's for $270, I then sold one of them today for $175 bringing my cost down to $95 for the single card. This is in canadian money as well so more like $65USD

Back