• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC help for beginnger to OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dub-Sidious

Hi all, as the title states, i'm new to overclocking and thought it would be best to seek some advice before messing around :)
Spent a fair bit on the gaming rig now, and dont want to break something by taking the overclock too far lol

my system so far consists of

AMD FX-6350 cpu
G1 Gaming Nvidia GTX 1070 gpu
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16gb (2x4gb@1600 sticks and 2x4gb 1800 lpx sticks)
OC'ers 120gb SSD
1000gb HDD
500gb HDD
Asus M5A78l-M usb3 mobo
Corsair H45 Liquid cooling
Corsair CX750M psu
3 extra fans in the Aero cool Strike-X case

I Have OC Guru 2, AMD Overdrive and Cams installed but have not touched a thing in them yet, as i said before i start messing around
i thought it might be a good idea to get some advice first, or even find someone with a similar build to look at for a guideline to my overclock.

Any programs that are a must have when overclocking?

Honestly i havent come across my new build struggles with, yet, but i've had it a little while now and just curious what i can achieve with overclocks. After some reading seen theres some pretty ridiculous overclocks for the 6350, depending how lucky you are when they came out the factory.

If i could get some advice or if someone knowledgable would like to help me achieve a good stable OC, i would be very greatful :) Thank you all

Any more information needed please just ask :)
Daz

Well, not to kill your dream, but your motherboard will not take anything more than a couple of hundred MHz, max.

No cooling on the VRM, 4 power phase only.

It will most likely throttle, if not already doing it@stock clocks. Have you checked if the CPU stays at its max clock when under heavy load (Prime95 or OCCT)?

Ah i see. This is a good example of why i wanted to get advice! lol
Well i shall have to wait until i have a better motherboard :) Shouldn't be too long anyway, i shall keep looking around for tips
for when i have a better motherboard.

Not tried Prime95 or OCCT, i shall look into getting those to do some testing with. what exactly am i looking out for? just if it boosts to 4.2 and stays there? complete novice when it comes to this, apologize in advance lol.

Prime95 and OCCT are programs that work your CPU and memory hard and therefore test the stability of your overclock. For instance, we consider an overclocked system to be stable if it can pass 2 hr. of the Prime95 blend test. Passing means: no blue scree, no lockups, now Prime95 core workers dropping out. Just being able to boot into Windows is no where near proof of a stable overclock. These stress test programs will produce a lot of heat so you need really good cooling for your CPU in order to keep it safe and stable. Overclocking and stress testing also tax the motherboard power producing and regulating compoents ("VRM") so a higher end motherboard with stout VRM components is necessary for a decent overclock. I would suggest checking with us before you buy a new motherboard as we have recommendations from experience. Are you in the US? If not, we would also ask for vendor links so we could see what is available to you.

Thank you very, very much for the explaination trents :)
I shall most certainly download Prime95 and OCCT for stress testing when i am ready to start overclocking.

I most certainly will be posting here before i buy a new motherboard so i can make sure i'm not shooting myself in the foot lol.
And no im in the UK

I tend to get most my parts from CCL Computers here in the uk, there a very reliable company and whenever i've had a problem they've worked hard to correct it and quickly.
I have another supplier nearby who says just tell him what i need and he can get it in stock, so not just bound to CCL :)

Again thank you for that very helpful explanation, Once i have some funds saved for the new motherboard i shall post back on the forum

Here is a link to an overclocking guide that has everything you need to know..http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ormance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-co

As the gentlemen above me said, you don't want to really overclock with your current board without at least putting a fan on the VRMs and the back of the scoket. Even then, that board won't like it and will likely cause stability issues much sooner than later. That cooler you haven't isn't great either, but will still allow you to overclock some. :)

Thanks EarthDog, i shall have a good read through that, looks extremely helpful. Shall be sure to make my way through the post.

I totally agree, i think im gonna stay away from overclocking until i can at least get a new mobo. When i built the pc i spent a bit more on my graphics and cpu and got a cheaper board, just so i had a half decent start point for the build as i couldnt buy all the parts i actually wanted at once. I would like to get a G1 board, from my limited experience the last few years i've really not had any problems with the different G1 gpu's, and yes i really like there style lol.

But if there is something much, much more suitable within the same price range im not the stubborn type :) Thank you

P.S. how do i add thanks to comments like you did on earlier comments? Am i being silly and missing something obvious? lol

You want a board with at least a 6+2 power phase rating and 8+2 would be better. Here are some examples we might recommend:

ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+

ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+

GIGABYTE GA-990FX-Gaming AM3+

Stay away from the MSI brand for AMD overclocking. ASRock may also have some good offerings. Power phase is the key.

Back