• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone frustrated with Win10 reboots in the middle of the night?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

I just had 3 Win10 machine reboot in the middle of the night and of course not restart until I found them a few days later.

What can be done about this not asking for permission to reboot?

Here is one proposed solution -- I have not tried it yet but it seems ok <--- comments?

---------------------------------------

Paste these lines to elevated cmd to deny
"Everyone" from executing the two files that control
the auto update process MusNotifications and MusNotifications Ux:

Code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
takeown /F MusNotification.exe
icacls MusNotification.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
takeown /F MusNotificationUx.exe
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
rem

The following will undo the permission changes
remember to do this in an elevated cmd box:

Code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
icacls MusNotification.exe /remove:d Everyone
icacls MusNotification.exe /grant Everyone:F
icacls MusNotification.exe /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"
icacls MusNotification.exe /remove:g Everyone
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /remove:d Everyone
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /grant Everyone:F
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /remove:g Everyone
rem
-------------------------------------

Last edited:
With the anniversary update you can change the active hours to the nighttime so it will not update then.:)

With the anniversary update you can change the active hours to the nighttime so it will not update then.:)

Sure but if I am folding 24/7 and it reboots in the day and I'm not watching it for 4 days, then I lose 4 days of folding because MicroSoft thinks it knows better than you when to reboot. I get that M$ wants total control but I have another idea, how about the user have the control if they need it.

I was looking at the settings for active hours and it looks like you can set it to 24 hours Active.

Last edited:
One way to stop Win 10 from updating and rebooting is to turn off updates, now I know what your going to say "But you can't turn off updates in Win 10", ahh but there is.
Go to your Window Services and Disable the following as shown in the screen shots. After you disable the 2 services, click the stop button, if Windows Update does not stop, click stop again or reboot.
I have this on all of my Win 10 systems and have not had a reboot.

Background.jpg

Background2.jpg

Background3.jpg

Update.jpg

Update2.jpg

Update3.jpg

edit: for each service, right click to get the popup box and click on Properties.

Last edited:
If you turn off updates completely then how do you know when there are updates available? Sometimes updates are very necessary and I wouldn't want to miss something big, I just want to control when the reboot happens.

If you turn off updates completely then how do you know when there are updates available? Sometimes updates are very necessary and I wouldn't want to miss something big, I just want to control when the reboot happens.

Just go back in and set them to auto start, let windows update then disable again.

Have you looked at the 24 hours Active it won't reboot.

Have they changed the active hours things? It was limited to 12 hours only when I looked at it.

I also stop+disable the Windows Update service (don't need to do others) to block the updating. I only turn it on after the 2nd Tuesday of each month which is when MS publishes routine security updates. It is possible to miss non-routine updates though. Also I found another side effect, that the Windows Store can't download when Windows Update is disabled. It is not important to me, as I only tried to use that once.

:bang head:bang head:bang head Never will I ever ever ever ever let Win 10 update again!
I enabled the 2 services that I disabled and let Win 10 download and install updates, 1) it removed openCL.dll that core 21 needs to run. 2) I had to reinstall F@H and GPU drivers and lost the WU it was working on before the update :bang head:bang head:bang head
If your PC is going to do nothing but F@H then screw the updates, not worth the headache.

If they are dedicated folding rigs, why not try Linux?

Some rigs need windows for compatibility and to run dedicated software. Linux is not ready for the real world yet.

So far I have found nothing but annoying problems from Linux and all its many versions. It is definitely not simple to find solutions that actually work.

I am folding on Linux but only because I can't justify $100+ upgrades for multiple rigs on windows. My experience with Linux is never to use it if I can avoid it.

I still haven't found a solution to Ubuntu 12.04 where I need multiple users to have access. It creates the users and then won't let them sign in, saying their password is wrong, even though I created them with the password moments earlier. Weeks of searching for a solution left me allowing everyone to log into my main user account so they could use the computer. Fortunately the users are ignorant of Linux and don't know they have total control over the computer. It's only a matter of time before someone realizes their power. Linux sux 4 me.

Last edited:
I tried setting to 24 hours Active it will only allow 12 hours, Microsoft what are you doing to us?

Settings - Update - advanced options. Why can't you just change the setting?

Because M$ doesn't want you to turn off updates so it restricts how far you can go in win10. You have to leave a 12 hour window every day for reboots.

12h limit was there from the start. Bit annoying for me as I'd settle for 16h active time (basically when I'm awake) for non-critical systems. So I still have to use the disable it completely method.

Start>Settings>Network & Internet>Advanced Options> Metered Connection to 'off'. That keeps large (major) updates form downloading (Anniversary, new builds, etc..) without having to shut off all updates. It was intended for people with data limits to have control over a finite download limit. You can still download anything you want manually, but W10 can't do so automatically. I don't miss the Anniversary Mistake at all, and I haven't had a single reboot I didn't initialize.

Strange. I got an email notification of a question in this thread and it isn't here? Every few days I get about 30-60 notifications of posts in threads I'm subbed to. LOL. I'll answer wingman99's question anyway.

Nothing I play uses DX 12 so I don't get any gaming boost from that. I installed a SSD when I went with W10, and a 6700k, etc., so I got some huge performance jumps across the board compared to my last rig. As soon as I get W7 back in I'll be able to check it against W10 in more of an apples/apples environment. I think W10 handles networking better, though. My wifi seems to have a more consistent connection, it logs on it faster, and internet performance seems much better than it was with W7. My wifi source is my neighbor's house (Yes, she knows) and W10 seems to have far fewer glitches in heavy rain, sandstorms, etc.. A more consistent and better performing network across the board.

Back