• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I wait for ZEN ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-7th-Generation-Core-Processor-Kaby-Lake-Revealed
At its core, the microarchitecture of Kaby Lake is identical to that of Skylake. Instructions per clock (IPC) remain the same with the exception of dedicated hardware changes in the media engine, so you should not expect any performance differences with Kaby Lake except with improved clock speeds we’ll discuss in a bit.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10802/desktop-kaby-lakes-lineup-base-frequencies-chipset-names
Aside from the 14+ process offering higher frequencies, the base microarchitecture of Kaby Lake-S, as explained at the release of Kaby Lake-Y/U in September, is essentially the same as Skylake.

I'd welcome any solid info that Kaby Lake does have a general IPC increase. I wonder if it might be confused with the increased performance from the higher clocks offered. Especially with the mobile CPUs already out, I'm sure someone would have noticed by now.

I'd welcome any solid info that Kaby Lake does have a general IPC increase. I wonder if it might be confused with the increased performance from the higher clocks offered. Especially with the mobile CPUs already out, I'm sure someone would have noticed by now.

Possibly it, but now you got me doubting myself. I was positive i saw a pic with IPC improvement when KL was announced.

Regardless, core for core ZEN is still below Skylake (from estimates) BUT the increased number of cores + possibility of high overclock + possibility of AMD making them cheap as usual might make most people tip their way to them. Depends on what you want the chip for but should handle any current game well enough and stomp a 6700k in terms of multitasking/video/image editing :)

Possibly it, but now you got me doubting myself. I was positive i saw a pic with IPC improvement when KL was announced.
The Kaby Lake Processor will have a little more instructions per cycle improvement with the increased clock speed compared skylake. Intel did not change Kaby lake Chip architecture from Skylake, the change was suppose to be a node change 10nm this year, instead Intel went with 14+nm.

I didn't read one complaint from the op about the rig.
order some bling lights and blingy sleeved cables and make some eye candy while you wait (a long time) for it to under perform.
for my game rig I am on a 4790K@ 5.2,5.2,48,48 with sli'd 980ti's with top shelf dell monitors, it's the other stuff I upgrade.
ssd to m.2 ssd, eh.. I could tell. m.2 to m.2 ultra ssd yea, I could really tell.
so I'll skip skylake, kaby lake, zen I'll buy just because I'm worlds biggest amd fanboy and hope for the best.

Well if it's any consolation I've never had problems with my 6700k both hardware and software, the issue was between my motherboard and new high speed ram. Would not expect issues with Zen unless AMD goes the same road as Intel in "will only work with Win10" (don't know if that's been settled 100% or not).

Agreed with Caddi Daddi, if I would change anything in that rig would be a higher overclock on the CPU/GPU and it should keep you happy for a while more :) bling is ofc always a must, LED fans and strips/neons ;)

Would not expect issues with Zen unless AMD goes the same road as Intel in "will only work with Win10" (don't know if that's been settled 100% or not).

To my understanding it was more of a push from MS, as they don't want to end up with Win7 going the same way XP did. I can understand from a support perspective it isn't great to have older software hanging around indefinitely.

The Kaby Lake Processor will have a little more instructions per cycle improvement with the increased clock speed compared skylake. Intel did not change Kaby lake Chip architecture from Skylake, the change was suppose to be a node change 10nm this year, instead Intel went with 14+nm.

What do you mean by 14+ nm? AFAIK all current gen Intel CPUs are 14nm. I don't know what their NAND is at these days I don't keep up with that.

I don't want to start too many new thread. So I'm just gonna ask here.
Let's say if I were to upgrade to Skylake. Which board would you guys recommend? I most probably be pairing it with an i5 6600 non K I don't OC. But I would still prefer a Z170 board

Are you having performance issues with your current 3550/Z77 rig? If not forget the upgrade.

Back