• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my cables are ugly - suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainthrall

I've built half-a-dozen computers before, but this is the first build on which I really wanted to focus on making it look nice. I've thrown in some red/blue LED strips, and have intentionally chosen components that coordinate well aesthetically. My only problem right now is that I have ugly cables sticking out everywhere.

1Ermdd9.jpg

eQ7yJB2.jpg

The dangling LED strip and some of the clutter near the bottom will all be cleaned up soon, but the remaining issues are the following:

-ugly 24-pin with black/yellow/white cables sticking out (right side mobo)
-2x ugly 8-pin cables (top-left mobo)
-2x ugly 6-pin cables on the gpu

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can deal with those ugly things? Ideally, I'd like to thread them through the grommets to conceal them, but they're not long enough and even if they were, I'd still be stuck with those ugly mismatched yellow/orange/black exposed wires.

What psu are you using?

I figure you have 3 options.

You can build a new cable set with proper length cables and sleeve it to look better.

You can buy a sleeved cable set that will make the cables look better and will be long enough to route through the grommets.

You can buy cable extenders that will allow you to route through the grommets and have the exposed ends look better.

Do some wire management. Proper routing and hiding of wires, etc. Zip ties, etc are one BIG step to have a much cleaner case. Since you have most of that taken care of... custom sleeving is another way after cable management.

Aren't there grommets that lead to the back of the case? You should be able to run them through the back of the case.

Alright, so I found this website that sells customized, individually braided cables which look great. I found a little combo-deal that has basically all of the extensions I would need. Here's the deal:
https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-basic-cable-extension-kit-66-pin-series-black/

My plan is: wire the cables from the PSU out through a grommet, around the back, then connect the PSU cables to the cablemod extension cables behind the mobo, and then wire back through different grommets, where I'll finally connect the cablemod cables to my mobo and gpu.

Is this a good plan? Does using extension cables cause any kind of problems with the power flow?

Nope, they'll work fine. I got some blue and black ones from Amazon here in the US. They worked great and look awesome. You can also use black zipties to tie them down so they don't move around and takes up the slack.

Back