• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master Mastercase 5 Custom Case Mod & PC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonsterMawd

gulf_porsche_1b_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Finally, I get to build something for myself. The opportunity presented itself after Cooler Master sent me their new Mastercase 5 ($109.99) to evaluate and brainstorm retail accessories / bolt-on custom parts as part of their "Make it Yours" campaign. The Mastercase Pro is the same chassis as mastercase 5, but includes window panel and top cover for $139.99. Here is my final thoughts about the Mastercase, keeping in mind that I look at cases from perspective as PC Customizer and Case Modder.

RAVES:

Overall Build Quality, Fit & finish.

Top panel / cover design options are nice.

Modular HD/SSD tray design and mounting options are best to date.

240/360/280 radiator option for front is nice.

My suggestions REVISIONS:

Top radiator mounting location should be offset, to clear DDR slots on some motherboards*

100% Riveted chassis?! I understand using rivets over screws to save time in manufacturing, but at minimum, the mid section floor should be removable for better access.*

Lack of Water pump and reservoir mounting. CM's competitors started embracing DIY cooling market over year ago, by including mounting options for reservoirs and water pumps.

Mastercase 5/ Pro window panel is very flimsy. The "smoked" poly window is bluish/purple and has very poor clarity for viewing inside the case.

gulf_porsche_2_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_1c_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Inspiration for the custom painted exterior will be the 1970 Porsche 917 from Steve McQueen's "Le Mans" movie. His 917 from the movie was chassis #022 and purchased in 1970 from Porsche by Steve McQueen's movie production company, Solar Productions. It was also the company that would bring the movie "Le Mans" to the big screen. This is the car that McQueen's character, Michael Delaney, starts the race in, and "crashes" late in the race, "writing the car off." The car that was crashed was really a Lola T-70, painted and rebodied, to look like a 917. Many innovations in cinematography, were first tried in this movie. They even went so far, as to weld brackets to the front frame work of the 917, so they could mount a camera to shoot Steve, and the other drivers, in the cockpit.

gulf_porsche_9l_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Cooler Master Mastercase 5 Chassis assembled with final coat of Gulf Racing Blue paint from 1970 Porsche 917 race car

gulf_porsche_9m_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Porsche 917 inspired graphics are finished on the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 / Pro. Next stage is clearcoating everything.

gulf_porsche_9y_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Parts laid out with final clear coat. Time to pop rivet!

gulf_porsche_9z1_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z2_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z3_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z4_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_1_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

PC_chassis_black_3_replace_pop_rivet_size_mnpctech.jpg

Black Powdercoated 1/8" Pop Rivets, http://mnpctech.com/pc-mod-tools/pc-pop-rivets/

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_2_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_3_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_4_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

you may have pondered about the maximum radiator thickness allowed inn the Coolermaster case 5? Well, you're only limited by how much you're willing to enlarge the factory radiator cut-out. I prefer to buy more internal space and mount my radiator between the chassis and the front bezel, I've outfitted mine with EK's XTX 360 that measures 64mm thick, but not without two compromises. You'll need to create a custom front grill for the bezel, as factory one will no longer fit. You also need trim the backside of the upper horizontal brace under the 5.25 bay location.

Dimensions (LxWxH): 400x130x64mm
Weight: Approx. 1496g
Liquid Capacity: Approx. 510 ml (17,25 fl oz)
FPI: 11
Fan installation: 12 x M3 threads on both sides each (for 3x120mm fan each)
Pressure tested: 1bar

gulf_porsche_9z9c_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9h_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9i_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

The XTX radiator will utilize*three*Nidec-Servo*Scythe Gentle Typhoons (Model# D122C). This fan has been regarded as the best static pressure optimized fan by DIY PC community since it's release in 2008. The original D122C is no longer made, but there is limited stock available at some online retailers. Last year the D122C Scythe GT fan was resurrected and manufactured as "Darkside Black Edition" by Dazmode. It's the same specs as the original, but now has Black fan blades. Many PC Modders including myself have painted these fans to fit the color schemes of our custom PC builds. I've been asked several times over the years how to remove the c-clip without losing or breaking it? Like many others, I've also lost these tiny c-clips while learning the best technique for removal. This is my DIY guide to removing and installing external retaining ring or c-clip.

Nidec-Servo's Scythe Gentle Typhoon Factory Spec PDF link, http://www.nidec-servo.com/en/digital/pdf/D1225C.pdf*
Speed: *2150RPM
Air performance : 68.8CFM
Nose: 34db (25cm from the fan, free air)
Power: 12VDC, 0.123A (0.63A peak max)
Operational voltage range: 5-12V (~900rpm-2150rpm)
Bearing: Ball
Expected life: 100000h/35c or 55000h/60c
Appearance: Full black
Dimensions: *119 x 119 x 25 mm / 4.68 x 4.68 x 0.98 in

WARNING:

Perform this task with Safety Glasses, the tiny Black metal retaining ring (c-clip) can and likely will pop off, so perform this task in a clean workspace, so you can find it. I suggest doing the work on a large white bed sheet and holding a large magnet near the fan hub as you remove and re-install the c-clip, to increase you're chances of not losing the c-clip. I haven't found a source for ordering replacement c-clips yet, but I'm still searching.

apart_1_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Here is my suggested Tools & Supplies

Safety Glasses (not pictured)
Heat Gun for removing the fan label. Hair Dryer on HIGH setting will work as well.
10" Wire Cable Tie
Large magnet (not pictured)
External Fixed-Tip Retaining Ring Pliers
Tweezers
Needle Nose Pliers
Super Glue (not pictured)

apart_2_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

apart_3_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

External Fixed-Tip Retaining Ring Pliers, http://www.saeproducts.com/retaining-ring-tool.html

apart_4_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

The fan blade looks as if it would snap-on and off, but not the case.

apart_5_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

We need to remove the back label to access the external metal c-clip on the fan shaft.

apart_6_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Swipe heat gun or hair dryer back and forth over the label.

apart_7_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Use the Tweezer to peel off the fan label.

apart_8_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Stick the fan label on a clean metal surface while you perform your work.

apart_9_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

You will tie down the fan hub with this Twisty tie. The fan shaft has a retention spring inside. You need to compress this spring, so you can remove the metal c-clip. If you don't, it's almost a guarantee that the c-clip will fly off the shaft faster than a bullet.

apart_9a_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Using Twisty tie to compress the fan hub spring, by tying down the hub to the fan frame.

- - - Updated - - -

apart_9b_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

apart_9c_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Close ups of the Black metal c-clip inside the Scythe Gentle Typhoon.

apart_9d_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

apart_9e_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Insert the two prongs of the Retaining Ring Plier inside the jaw of the c-clip.

apart_9f_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

If you have a large Magnet, Position it near the fan hub, just in case the c-clip pops off.

apart_9g_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

apart_3_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

C-clip Retainer Ring Plier, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gamin...al-retaining-ring-or-c-clip-pliers-clone.html

apart_9h_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Holding the black metal c-clip in the Retaining Ring Plier.

apart_9i_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

You will widen the jaw of the c-clip and need to bend it back to it's original opening, so it maintains it's grip.

apart_9j_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Hold the c-clip in the Tweezer while using a Needle Nose Plier to compress jaw of the c-clip.

apart_9k_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Doing this will allow you to re-use the metal c-clip.

apart_9l_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_ring_tool_mnpctech_gentle_typhoon_darkside.jpg

Here is the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Cooling fan dismantled. Next stage is painting the fans GULF Blue

I've found it easy to remove c clips from smaller parts with the part in a gallon size food storage bag. Enough room to work in, it's clear, and no more "Anybody see where that went???" I like your magnet idea. :thup:

And subbed!

Last edited:
@Alaric, Yes, thats a great suggestion, these clips are very SPRING-LIKE!

@Blaylock, Thank you Buddy!

Highlights from painting the Scythe GTs for EK's 360 XTX Radiator. Decided to leave the fan blade hubs their factory grey and paint the frames GULF Blue, which works together and helps break up all of the orange.

gentle_1_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

gentle_2_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

gentle_3_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Clear coat applied

gentle_4_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Re-assembled the GTs yesterday with these*replacement C-clip Retainer Rings that fit Gentle Typhoon fan axles, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gamin...l-retaining-ring-or-c-clip-pliers-clone.html*

scythe_fan_c_clip_gentle_typhoon_darkside_black_edition_paint_clip.jpg

gentle_5_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

gentle_6_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

I use two micro flat head screw drivers to snap the c-clip over the fan motor axle / shaft

gentle_7_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Those are good quality C-clips. I like them! Cheap ones frequently don't have the notches on the arms. Can I ask what you use to paint with? Are you using spray bombs or an airbrush? That's a nice finish on the parts, and good masking. You do get the details. :thup:

Thanks for watching guys!

@Aleric, It's my business affiliate's paint booth and I'm his student for life. The paint was mixed by local auto body paint shop. We often use PPG or House of Kolor paint and products and apply with HVLP guns and compressor

gulf_porsche_7_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

The front I/O panel on the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 / Pro is a bit bland for this theme. I decided to modify it with something that looks more race car appropriate. l'll start with steel face plate and chose some switches and controls from Mnpctech that include a red Fighter Pilot with momentary toggle for Main Power. The reset will be blue anodized vandal resistant push. I also found a VDO brand 12 volt gauge from the center console of a Volkswagen Rabbit GTI. I'd love to find some mounting bezels for 5mm LEDs for Power & HD activity.

gulf_porsche_8_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9b_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9c_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9d_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9e_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9f_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9g_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9h_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9i_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9a_black_pop_rivets_4_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9b_black_pop_rivets_4_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

For anyone who either already owns or considering buying the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 / Pro, and also DIY liquid cools, you may have pondered about the maximum radiator thickness allowed? Mounting a radiator inside the chassis you're only limited by how much you're willing to enlarge the factory radiator cut-out. I prefer to buy more internal space and mount my radiator between the chassis and the front bezel, I've outfitted mine with EK's XTX 360 that measures 64mm thick, but not without two compromises. You'll need to create a custom front grill for the bezel, as factory one will no longer fit. You also need trim the backside of the upper horizontal brace under the 5.25 bay location.

Dimensions (LxWxH): 400x130x64mm
Weight: Approx. 1496g
Liquid Capacity: Approx. 510 ml (17,25 fl oz)
FPI: 11
Fan installation: 12 x M3 threads on both sides each (for 3x120mm fan each)
Pressure tested: 1bar

gulf_porsche_9z9c_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9f_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9g_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9h_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9i_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Health and finances have left me without a bike. My first bike was a '74 RD 350, followed by a string of RD 400F Daytona Specials (race bikes and spares) and a RZ 350. Then on to the four strokes (except the '72 H2 750 Kawasaki) with a variety of hot rodded two and four cylinders. The last bike I put any miles of note on was this one. '83 Electra Glide. One of two model years the Shovelhead was offered with a rubber mount motor and a five speed. That one also had the usual engine work (big cam, solid lifters, carb, head work, etc.. :) As a motorcycle mechanic for many years I was fortunate to always have access to fun bikes without having to buy them first, although I frequently had to build them first. :D

Big Blue.png

Those motors make cubic torque. LOL. Those big VTX motors will tow a T-Rex uphill, whether he likes it or not. More torque at 2500 RPM than most bike motors make in their lives. Nice! I love the point n shoot nature of those bikes in traffic.

Ya it was a major jump from my first bike, a Vstar 650. The bike literally wants to lurch forward when letting out the clutch at idle. Takes some getting used to. Lol

Anyhow, I'm really loving this build MM. I am wondering about the power switch though. Is there any concern about accidentally powering off?

Nice bikes guys, I'll have dig up my photos sometime.. I stopped riding after I got married 21 years ago... Mrs would worry herself to bits while I was riding, our next door neighbor lost his leg in bike accident. A car went thru red light and hit him, so her concern was very real.

Back to the build...

EK's 360mm XTX radiator has convenient port on bottom for draining your loop. I'm using a Koolance Drain Valve with two of their swiveling 90 degree "snake" extensions.(Bitspower also makes a nice drain valve)

koolance_pc_watercool_mod_zoo_fitting_valve_mnpctech1.jpg

Koolance Drain valve (4 way Splitter won't be used in this build)

koolance_pc_watercool_mod_zoo_fitting_valve_mnpctech3.jpg

I'm using two of these Koolance swiveling 90 degree "snake" extensions. The others were used in Origin PC build, http://mnpctech.com/genesis-the-evo...roject-with-origin-pc-genesis-full-tower.html

EK_1_360_TXT_size_fit_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

EK_2_360_TXT_size_fit_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

The two swiveling 90 degree "snake" extensions allow you to angle the drain valve under the Mastercase bezel and foot.

EK_3_360_TXT_size_fit_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Having the drain valve outside of the chassis makes periodic maintenance of draining and refilling the liquid loop easy.

EK_4_360_TXT_size_fit_typhoon_GT_scythe_fan_paint_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Decided on Black wire fan grills for the GTs. I like the look. I guess some would call them "old school" when compared to vast array of fan grills available today, btw All of the machined aluminum parts for Deep Silver's Homefront: Revolution Gaming PC are getting finished, so I'm dividing workshop time between both builds. What a contrast lol, from "don't scratch the paint!" on "what is the best grit to score this finish"on Homefront.

I also swapped out the Black factory thumbscrews for Mastercase SSD trays to machined knurled silver aluminum.

gulf_porsche_9z9k_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9l_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9m_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z9n_EK_XTX_360_radiator_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Back