• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1050 info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

WCCFTech has released an article detailing the upcoming 1050. I thought this might be a good budget card based on how well pascal performs but i was kinda disappointed to see that it has the same CUDA core count, ROP count, and TMU count as the 950 of the previous gen. Seems like performance of this card will be like an OC'd 950 or something to me. What do you all think? Probably a fair upgrade for the 750ti crowd i imagine.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-gp107-gpu-specs/

Same core count, somewhat higher clocks, I think this is a 750Ti replacement in <75W category. I suspect there will be PCIe power connector models also, with far higher boost clocks. End of the day it will come down to price.

Higher series are the same. If you compare something like GTX980 to GTX1070 then clock to clock GTX980 is faster or at least the same. Personally I can't beat my GTX980@1750MHz results on GTX1070@2050MHz in most benchmarks. Only the latest 3DMark is showing better results ( and of course new games ). Pascal is much faster in games because of high frequency and that's all.

AMD made really well performing RX470. GTX1050 supposed to be as fast as RX470 but if it has similar specs to GTX950 then somehow I doubt. RX460 is much slower so maybe they want to compete with this card.

Lol! 75W! Soon, we will run our rigs with a couple of guinea pigs endlessly running in a wheel!

Based on that link, the 1050 has the same number of cores as 750Ti, but higher clocked and higher TDP at 75W and 60W respectively.

The 1050Ti is more interesting as that has the same number of cores as 950, but higher clocked and lower TDP at 75W and 90W respectively.

I'm not sure what to make of that. If the 1050Ti can make 75W budget, the 1050 should be able to come in lower even at the stated clocks. Unless... they're binning the cores on power efficiency and using the better ones on the Ti? I wouldn't expect the clock difference stated to account for that.

For compute uses I'm not sure these really hit the spot but it will also depend on actual price and clocks when they're out. More complicated as I'm sure there'll be >75W models at much higher clocks.

There is no ASIC in these cards so I doubt they are binning them in any way. All GTX1000 series look to me like improved GTX900. I mean at the same frequency, performance is almost the same but GTX1000 can OC much higher and has lower TDP. I have my doubts in GTX1050/Ti as there is big gap between these cards and GTX1060 and on some markets price can be much higher than expected. There can be no good upgrade option for GTX960 users who don't want to spend more than they paid for older cards. At least on EU market GTX1050 can be cheap but also not performing good enough while GTX1060 is performing good but price is higher than expected. There should be something like 1060LE while I doubt it will be released. This is where AMD fits with RX470. Higher performance than GTX1050 and lower price than GTX1060 ... also not as low TDP as GTX1050 but I'm not sure if anyone cares about ~30-50W in gaming PC.

There is no ASIC in these cards so I doubt they are binning them in any way. All GTX1000 series look to me like improved GTX900. I mean at the same frequency, performance is almost the same but GTX1000 can OC much higher and has lower TDP. I have my doubts in GTX1050/Ti as there is big gap between these cards and GTX1060 and on some markets price can be much higher than expected. There can be no good upgrade option for GTX960 users who don't want to spend more than they paid for older cards. At least on EU market GTX1050 can be cheap but also not performing good enough while GTX1060 is performing good but price is higher than expected. There should be something like 1060LE while I doubt it will be released. This is where AMD fits with RX470. Higher performance than GTX1050 and lower price than GTX1060 ... also not as low TDP as GTX1050 but I'm not sure if anyone cares about ~30-50W in gaming PC.

Isn't that the point of the 1060 3gb? Somewhat. In Aus, the GTX 960 is really not that much cheaper than the 1060 3gb, and cheapest 1060 6gb is roughly around where the 4GB 960s used to be when they were released. It falls in line relatively well. Noting that a 960 is what, half the performance of a 1060? It really depends on the country :\. Our RX 480s are actually more expensive than 1060s, so it made no sense to get a 480 really..

They're the same price here. When I got mine the 1060 wasn't out yet and I found the 480 at $249 so I grabbed it. I was in the middle of a build, so waiting wasn't a real option.

Back