• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink / Mounting Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Alright I got an older... well really old I'd say by now, Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 heatsink currently bolted up to my 1155 socket Intel 2500k CPU. Upgrading to a new 6600k or 6700k CPU so socket 1151.
After many times going back and forth over the years, I believe I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger unless I talk myself out of it again in the coming days to months. That being said I'm potentially looking at a Cool Master Hyper 212X for a new cooler/fan setup.

Though that being said... curious if I could potentially re-use my existing heat sink, or just go full in and buy a new one? Torn a little on this and maybe if I can't find the stock heatsink for my 2500k it would make it easier to just pull the trigger on the new one. Any help appreciated.

I recall seeing a mention of a bracket for it for that socket... but can't seem to dig it up. Personally, I would spend the $40 on the new CM Hyper 212X.

Sold :)

I was leaning toward it but the TR heatsink has treated me so well over... oh boy maybe even back as far as the 775 socket days. I know it was when I had my i7-920 though for sure so back 2008 so 9+ years old. Just one thing that has been trusty over the years that heatsink.

Alright I got an older... well really old I'd say by now, Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 heatsink currently bolted up to my 1155 socket Intel 2500k CPU. Upgrading to a new 6600k or 6700k CPU so socket 1151.
After many times going back and forth over the years, I believe I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger unless I talk myself out of it again in the coming days to months. That being said I'm potentially looking at a Cool Master Hyper 212X for a new cooler/fan setup.

Though that being said... curious if I could potentially re-use my existing heat sink, or just go full in and buy a new one? Torn a little on this and maybe if I can't find the stock heatsink for my 2500k it would make it easier to just pull the trigger on the new one. Any help appreciated.

I know I may be a bit late on the reply but your Thermalright should have hardware for mounting to 1151, if not you should be able to order a kit from Thermalright for it for less than $10.00.

I know I may be a bit late on the reply but your Thermalright should have hardware for mounting to 1151, if not you should be able to order a kit from Thermalright for it for less than $10.00.

Not late to the party at all. Yeah tried looking on the site and didn't see a kit so hence why I was wondering. Now I do have the 1155 socket and I don't think the socket has changed physically with the newer ones hence why I asked the question. I did find something that stated that all 115x mounting holes are the same. Though that being said this might be a good reason I can just sell my PC nearly as is if I replace the heatsink, but then again... I'm not sure have to ponder on this one a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-True-Spirit-140-Power/dp/B00IYEEOMO

As a long time Thermalright fan myself this is the pinnacle of all Thermalright has learned over the years from the original 120 TRUE to this 140 True Spirit it is a 360w TDP cooler.

Oooh thats a beast, really rated up to 360W TDP? Thats insane, slap that sucker on a GPU ha.
I originally had the 120 True as well then got the 120 Ultra Extreme. I went water cooling inbetween the two versions and returned back to air because it did so well and less of a hassle.

Oooh thats a beast, really rated up to 360W TDP? Thats insane, slap that sucker on a GPU ha.
I originally had the 120 True as well then got the 120 Ultra Extreme. I went water cooling in between the two versions and returned back to air because it did so well and less of a hassle.

I've been using 3 Thermalright 120 Trues to cool the peltiers in my chilled water cooling setup, and I've been using them for about 3 1/2 years now, I am going to change them out to the True Spirit 140s I linked.

Reason being, so I can run lower fan speed than the 120mm 110cfm fans I am presently running and the True Spirit 140 is already perfect with lower noise to deal with.

If you're curious as to what I'm referring to, click the link in my sig.

Count your heatpipes. IIRC the TRUE is a 4-heatpipe beast. IIRC the 212 is a 3-heatpipe beast. It's cheaper but . . .

All the 115x sockets use the same attachment patterns. Either reuse the TRUE or get another one, like the wider one noted above. The 212+ would be a downgrade for you.

TR TS 140 Power is over 170mm tall so there are a lot of cases that it won't fin in.

The TR 120 I have is 172mm tall if not mistaken. I know I have issues with it + a side fan if I want to switch to my other case I have in the house.
Though yes tall heatsinks are an issue with the more compact cases these days. I know some time ago I looked at a really low profile heatsink. Just couldn't do it... didn't want to loose my cooling potential by 10-15C.

Count your heatpipes. IIRC the TRUE is a 4-heatpipe beast. IIRC the 212 is a 3-heatpipe beast. It's cheaper but . . .

All the 115x sockets use the same attachment patterns. Either reuse the TRUE or get another one, like the wider one noted above. The 212+ would be a downgrade for you.
The 212+ is also a 4 heatpipe cooler. ;)

What ^^^^^ said, I have seen the newer 212+ and it dose have 4 pipes, I wonder how well they will preform over the older 212+'s?

Last review I read the 212+ has ~1c over the 212 Evo if that helps ? still think the EVO is the best bang for buck though, the 2nd fan made a ~5c difference on wife's setup.

Last edited:
I notice no difference between the EVO and the 212+ running 2 fans on both. So.........buy which ever is cheaper.

Last edited:
We'll.... pulled the trigger. Incoming new equipment. Though I did leave off the heatsink since my other one will be able to mount to the new board according to everything I could find so it would save me a few bucks.
But if I did decide to get a new one I would probably try out the EVO or 212+. I'll keep my eye on it :)

Back