• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 Memory... What Speed to Get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I looked at Woomack's reviews and the Trident and Ripsaws v use Samsung IC's it did not say the difference in them, did I miss something?

Was the IC part number the same? He typically shows a screenshot of Thaiphoon, it lists the IC part number under the IC manufacturer.

Was the IC part number the same? He typically shows a screenshot of Thaiphoon, it lists the IC part number under the IC manufacturer.

I Could not find IC part numbers to compare. I sent a Email to G.SKill this time, I hope goes better than the phone call I had.

Well from what it looks like these Ripsaw V's do have the Samsung IC's. Though I don't have detailed information on them. Here is the screenshot I got of it from HWiNFO
PC4-3000 - Memory Information Shot.jpg

We'll minor testing on ram... got it to where I wanted it at least. 3200 with CL 14-14-14-34 :)
More test to come, but happy with it so far.
4.7Ghz - 3200Mhz Ram.jpg

In the bios it was right under the CPU multiplier :)
Heck figured you where supposed to do that. I just match it to the CPU speed. Seems to work well for me right now.

Looking at popular G.Skill kits, I can say that all single rank 8GB modules specified as 3000+ will be on the same Samsung "B die" IC. However there are still dual rank kits on the market which are not overclocking as high. Since you can't check how many ranks has memory before you unpack it then it's hard to say what is in 15-16-16, 15-17-17 or 16-18-18 kits. G.Skill is easy to figure out in 13-13-13/14-14-14/15-15-15/16-16-16 kits as only B die is in mass sales with these timings ( so guaranteed are almost only Trident Z ).
Corsair is really annoying to figure out IC as their kits are mixed and always have 14-16-16/15-17-17/16-18-18 timings so they can use about everything in them. I got one Vengeance LED kit and it was dual rank ( test was some time ago ). It's still overclocking good but I saw the same kits on single rank Samsungs what would be better. Most other brands make the same but in most cases at least IC manufacturer is clear. Like Kingston = Hynix, Crucial = Micron, Mushkin = Hynix ( at least in all kits I was testing ), Team Group is mixed, Patriot is mixed too. On the other hand there is no manufacturer which is selling Hynix based kits above 3333 so 3466+ is only Samsung.

I've liked G.Skill ram for some years now. Actually bought into them early on when they first started coming out. RMA process with them was nice and quick when I had an issue with a set many years ago (DDR or DDR2 days). I've never actually purchased ram with the intent to OC it. I've done it on a few occasions with Corsair ram, but it was an after thought... oh waaay back in the day (early 2000's) but really haven't tried to OC any ram since.

So my intent to buy cheaper, proved useful in this case to be able to hit higher speeds. At least I saved $20 on the kit I was originally looking at and I could potentially get even more from this set than intended. Sorta eager to maybe push it a bit more.

This info is just making me all kinds of pleased with my choice of RAM. May be time to turn it up. :)

Worth a shot, if its the same IC's you should have the potential to hit 3200 speeds with the same settings you are running right now.

That's my thoughts. It's the TridentZ 3000 14-14-14-34. I think they're the same ICs as the 3600, but I'm not positive on that.

Check it out with Thaiphoon Burner. Look at the picture above that I posted under DRAM Components - Part Number. If its the same its probably very likely it is at least thats how I'm taking it.

That's my thoughts. It's the TridentZ 3000 14-14-14-34. I think they're the same ICs as the 3600, but I'm not positive on that.

My 3000 14-14-14 Trident Z ( thread on the list ) is overclocking about the same as 3600. Actually both kits are working now in my brother's pc on X99 motherboard. As I said, all memory kits at so tight timings are on the same IC as there is no other IC which can make it and manufacturer trusted it enough to put it on mass sales. On the other hand it's not important how IC is called but how it's overclocking.

Back