• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error 55 GA-Z170X-UD5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tboy334

Registered
I have two 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX RAM sticks and when both are installed I recieve the error 55 code. I have tried to enable XMP with no use as it did not fix the issue. I also have tried each stick in each slot and I can boot with 1 RAM stick installed but not two. I have tried to contact technical support to receive no help at all and I am stuck at this point. I have also updated the BIOS to the latest update for my MOBO and that also did not work.
Thanks.

I'm currently using the first slot for boot up, but if I use 1 and 3 no boot or 2 and 4 no boot but 1 stick in either 1, 2, 3, or 4 and it works.

Have you tried reseating the CPU?
What about clearing the CMOS?

@LutaWicasa, for some reason I cant see your message on the thread but its the F6F bios update, and its an DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX 8gb (2x). No I have not ran memtest on them.

- - - Updated - - -

No I have not tried reseating it just yet, could that possibly be the problem? And what is CMOS and how do I clear it, sorry im not very experienced in Computer tech as this is my first PC that i built.

Yes, the CPU being seated improperly could be the problem, but try clearing the CMOS first.

See the black button in the very top right of the board? Says CMOS_SW beside it. Press that and hold it for about 5-10 seconds while the PSU is completely discharged.

Okay I will try that as soon as I get back to my PC, it might be an hour or so before I can try it, but after I clear the CMOS do I need to try and boot with a RAM stick in slot 1 and 3 or just boot with one stick?

There are two buttons on the mobo one is called ECO and the other is OC

Edit- wait I think I found it is it the CMOS_SW

Edit:found it and I'm trying it.

Last edited:
Okay I tried clearing the CMOS and I'm still receiving error 55 on the mobo. I have also reseated the CPU still get error 55.

Last edited:
@LutaWicasa, for some reason I cant see your message on the thread but its the F6F bios update, and its an DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX 8gb (2x). No I have not ran memtest on them.

Odd you saw my post as I had cancelled it :confused:
Anyhoo...I wondered what the pn was on the ram (something like this: CMD16GX4M4B3000C14)
As you are trying to get this going initially...don't know I'd recommend a beta bios.
I would suggest getting memtest and testing those sticks.

On Z170 boards you have to use 2/4 memory slots counting from CPU side ( regardless how are they marked, architecture is the same on every board ). 1st slot is actually 4th from cpu side.
55 error = memory isn't working or other hardware related issue that won't let to communicate with memory. Sometimes can be dirty pins ( dust, grease etc ). Can be also wrong memory profile which is forcing settings not compatible with motherboard.

There were many topics about Gigabyte motherboards and Corsair memory incompatibility. If update to the latest BIOS version won't help then I would change memory to some other brand.

I'm using the black to black colored ram slots, wasn't sure how the numbers worked but you think new RAM would be the solution? Is there any recommendations for RAM that you can give me.

Hey, same setup as me, I might actually be useful for once.

Exactly what model ram? With my setup I was having memory issues, either the computer not booting or I got errors in memtest86+. I fixed my problem by going through and setting the XMP settings manually as opposed to simply letting it read off the info and setting things automatically. To me it seems like theres a glitch in the board, there are 2 ram voltage settings - one on the main BIOS screen and one in the voltage submenu - and only one of the settings was getting adjusted to match the memory's rating, causing instability.

Edit: Excuse my rambling, was a "quiet" point at work, as in I was trying to do 3 things at once instead of the standard 5+.

Last edited:
@freakdiablo, what do you mean what model RAM, all I know is that it is 8GB Corsair Vengance DDR4, and I have enabled the XMP but all I did was set it to profile 1?

@freakdiablo, what do you mean what model RAM, all I know is that it is 8GB Corsair Vengance DDR4, and I have enabled the XMP but all I did was set it to profile 1?

Like what LutaWicasa was saying, usually a string of numbers/letters. If you know the speed, that can help as well.

My issue was similar to yours, with the issue appearing after I simply selected the XMP profile. I corrected it by going through the voltage and Memory menus and setting the options to what they should be by hand, as opposed to just choosing the XMP profile and letting the motherboard configure the settings itself.

As I said in my last post, there are actually two places to change RAM voltage settings, and for some reason the setting in the voltage submenu, the actual RAM voltage wasn't changing from 1.2v to 1.35v (the voltage the 3000mhz variant of the Vengeance LPX needs). Whether this is a board problem, a RAM problem, or just a compatibility issue, I'm not sure, but my system has been running fine ever since.

Where can I find all this information so that I can try and manually set the values to what they should be? Is there a program that can find it for me or can I just look up the cards that I bought and find them under their specifications?

Edit: I found the speed is should be, Speed2666 megahertz. I also found the voltage should be 1.2V according to product specifications.

Edit: or since you have basically the same setup as me what should be the values that I enter in the bios manually? The only difference in our builds is the graphics card and HDD space and I don't have the scythe ninja 4 and 2x noctua a NF-F12s.

Last edited:
I won't be able to get that till tonight, but you can try entering the default values for now. They can be found in the "tech specs" section on the Corsair site (Link)

This doesn't require me to be able to get to bios with both cards inserted because I can only get to bios setup with one card inserted?

Edit: i tried my best to understand how the voltage and memory settings worked but to no avail whatever I did, did not do the job, so i'm still back to square 1.

Last edited:
Back