• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sleeving, the beginning of the end?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nuubje006

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm making my first build, the complete thread on that can be seen here: link

I have the Corsair rm750x power supply.

I'm gonna ask my question here aswell because the other contains to much information already, here it is.

SLEEVING: The beginning of the end?
So guys, I wanted to start sleeving.. It took me 30minutes to get my first pin out of my PCI-E cable. Just keep doing it, it goes allot faster after that. I use stables for it because the tool I got for it was to big....
8d71a0b56389e9956c94ecbe9d653114.jpg
JEEJ! I got it.. Happy for a moment, then I tried to remove the 1 square connector.. That thing doesn't move at all.. and then I ran into this:
febb1c7f2ced9353a1b162dea631bed0.jpg
Whaa daa faa... How am I going to sleeve this..
I started to take a look at my other cables and I seee this massive tumor on my ATX cable.. Is it a ferrite magnet or another capacitor or ...
87465ba7dba334580b01a5ad0ec70b0e.jpg
I don't have a clue on how I should continue. Any tips on this?

Thanks allot!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I don't have a clue on how I should continue. Any tips on this?

I convered the pin with masking tape so it wouldnt bind on the paracord and also slid through easier. the drawback was that there was leftover much at the end of the day (pins were sticky from the masking tape adhesive).

I dont know how they go about sleeving those inline capacitors, but I think the simplest way would be to copy what you see already.... sleeve right up to the capacitor and then throw heatshrink over it. You will have a couple inches of bare wire but it beats trying to stretch your sleeve over that cystic looking cap. GL :)

Pretty sure that a capacitor + resistor only makes a filter that would reduce disturbances of lower frequncies in this case.. (2200µF cap).. So I think I can just leave them out.
Can't be sure though.. Really don't want to ruin a brand new system.

Do you test your cables with a simple resistance beep test or do you use a more advanced tool for it?

So I found this video from CableMod.
Summary:
-Cap reduces ripple
-Placing cap in the middle is best for looks but is a bit less good for ripple
-When using a single GPU, completely removing the cap wouldn't mather all that much

Just leave the cap out. A good portion of the aftermarket cable sets do not include them.

I like to use Scotch tape as it leaves less residue

Just leave the cap out. A good portion of the aftermarket cable sets do not include them.

I like to use Scotch tape as it leaves less residue

Thanks allot for the tips, I will do this :D will post my end results here!

your doing more than I was willing, I ordered mine sleeved and to length.

Well, it gives me something to do :D
And I can tell everybody I made everything myself :D

[Back to my main question: I"m placing my capacitors on the wires but behind the motherboard. Like they did in the video above.]

So here's my first try on sleeving shrinkless.
View attachment 183254
View attachment 183256

This is how I masked the capacitors.. But I'm not sure that I will keep it this way. It looks fine but I think I will just leave them out for my final build.
5e3b8192020d9a9d95f7dff2b6544a7a.jpg
d2aa2d7a14f35da9057a0f2fff79d2f0.png

You can always get electrical wire, crimp it yourself and then sleeve it.. I did it to my Supernova in the signature and it works perfectly fine without the capacitors. Any unit as good as EVGAs, Corsairs etc will be just fine without the capacitors. The capacitors exist to eliminate any possible ripple created while electricity travels from the PSU, through the wires to your components. But the major ripple suppression happens on the PCB of the PSU.

You can always get electrical wire, crimp it yourself and then sleeve it.. I did it to my Supernova in the signature and it works perfectly fine without the capacitors. Any unit as good as EVGAs, Corsairs etc will be just fine without the capacitors. The capacitors exist to eliminate any possible ripple created while electricity travels from the PSU, through the wires to your components. But the major ripple suppression happens on the PCB of the PSU.

Yeah, once I figured out how it worked and whaty it was for it was easy :D
Here's my finished build: b39a664d809dec601e48f174cbce1f5d.jpg
Older photo though, I added the trident RGB RAM for a nice effect and I just ordered some flow indicators to finish it.

The cables were fun to do, but next time I think I might order some :D
Here you can find the complete build 'guide': http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-sure-if-it-all-fits-amp-some-small-questions

Nice job man! You just made extenders right? Also did it for my brother with paracord sleeving.

To bad it always takes so much time ;p

Were did you get your parts? I noticed there are allot of bad quality ones that don't fit very well.

Can't add pictures with my phone and my pc is dismantled for the moment. But if I think about it. I'll post some pics.

Great work, man! Very good sleeves and holders.
On 4th photo cables are overrotated before crimp? They didn't go straight... Or I missed somerhing?

Great work, man! Very good sleeves and holders.
On 4th photo cables are overrotated before crimp? They didn't go straight... Or I missed somerhing?

Yeah, this cable was made from the original cables that came with the PSU, they arn.t perfect, but when put in place they are straight. Only thing is I thought they were to long, but he might switch to a bigger case, so he wanted the full lenght.

Back