• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pls. help on what gpu to choose.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jheb0y

Registered
hi there,
as you can see in my signature i have a card that needs upgrading and im a little bit confuse on what card is best suited for my needs. im not a hardcore gamer i just play games casually every weekends 2-6hrs but i love graphics a lot.

here are some of the games that i play:
rise of the tomb raider
gta v
witcher 3
skyrim
crysis 3
battlefield hardline
nba 2k15
ashes of the singularity
project cars
shadow of mordor

viewing in a 60hz 1080p monitor

some cards that i reviewed:
1st - rx 470 4gb
2nd - gtx 1060 3gb
3rd - rx 480 8gb
4th - gtx 1060 6gb
5th - gtx 1070 8gb

im leaning towards the amd cards as my mobo says it can support xfire?
1st to 4th card will be possible for me to buy this month but the 1070 will have to wait until december due to financial reasons.
any comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated.
thanx OC more power.

I'd get the 1070 in a month. 480 and 1060 (6gb - don't get 3gb) are very solid 1080p cards today, but will struggle in a couple of years. You seem to play some high end games as well. Whereas the 1070 would be fine for another couple years after.

At 1080p 60hz, there are very few reason for CFx or SLI. No need for the complication and hassle when a single gpu easily plows through 1080p.

Edit: December... wow. Well, if you need something now, get a 1060 6gb. But personally I would save up for a 1070.

Last edited:
xfire is AMD's multi-GPU technology. NVIDIA calls it SLI.

If you are only planning on running 1 video card, either NVIDIA or AMD will be fine.

Either the RX 480 or GTX 1060 will be great for gaming on 1080p monitor.

This review (http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...x_1060_fcat_frametime_analysis_review,17.html) is from a good review source. They don't just look at frames per second, they look at stutter and the like.

On GTA V, this chart shows the GTX 1060 having better FPS (higher is better):

index.php

And this shows the frame render time (lower is better...but smoother is more preferred):

index.php

Good luck with your purchase...I think either way you will be happy...but I'm an NVIDIA guy. :D

I'd get the 1070 in a month. 480 amlnd 1060 (6gb - don't yet 3gb) are very solid 1080p cards today, but will struggle in a couple of years. You seem to play some high end games as well. Whereas the 1070 would be fine for another couple years after.

At 1080p 60hz, there are very few reason for CFx or SLI. No need for the complication and hassle when a single gpu easily plows through 1080p.

Edit: December... wow. Well, if you need something now, get a 1060 6gb. But personally I would save up for a 1070.

thanx for the fast response.
is it really worth the wait? nor be bottleneck or be overkill for my system?

Your dual core is going to start being more and more of a bottleneck as time goes on, but I wouldn't worry about it too much now or with a 1070.

If DX12 is important to you, provided you have Windows 10, the RX 480 would be my choice for 1080p. Every upcoming MS title will be DX12. But, and it's a big ole but, the 1070 would be the best card on your list for everything. If you can hold off till December the 1070 is definitely my choice. And at that time, start looking at an i5 CPU. My $.02.

If DX12 is important to you, provided you have Windows 10, the RX 480 would be my choice for 1080p. Every upcoming MS title will be DX12. But, and it's a big ole but, the 1070 would be the best card on your list for everything. If you can hold off till December the 1070 is definitely my choice. And at that time, start looking at an i5 CPU. My $.02.

Also if you hold off you can see AMDs ZEN pricing and maybe you will be better off with a ZEN CPU, Who knows :p.

See if you can find a used gtx 780 or r9 290. They will both be much cheaper then any of the options you have listed and should preform just as good if not better in most games. You should be able to run most games on ultra settings at 1080p with either of these cards.

See if you can find a used gtx 780 or r9 290. They will both be much cheaper then any of the options you have listed and should preform just as good if not better in most games. You should be able to run most games on ultra settings at 1080p with either of these cards.

+1

Your dual core is going to start being more and more of a bottleneck as time goes on, but I wouldn't worry about it too much now or with a 1070.

+1 your CPU is ok for a GTX 1070, I would save up for that however if you can't wait go with the GTX 1060. For those games you play the GTX 1070 will put you ahead. Approximation to your video card Benchmarks http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1753?vs=1731

For the games he play the RX470 or GTX10603GB will be enough.

I was saying put you ahead, meaning for the future.

thank you for all of your inputs.. i have finally decided.
i will go for the gtx 1060 6gb now (the price diffrence of the rx480 8gb vs gtx 1060 6gb here is negligible and the rx480 4gb is very hard to find) and if that doesn't satisfy me, i would put that card on my old system then buy another the gtx 1070 after a few months, and if that bottlenecks my system i would buy an i5 when kaby lake is out...
hope i have a good plan thanx again OCforums for being so helpful more power.

Back