• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

Okay, So I'm currently using the 6700k with 32GB ddr4 ram on an asus maximus viii extreme motherboard.

I've never done any kind of over clocking or anything before.
So I downloaded these programs:
CPUID HWMonitor
RealBench
AIDA64
CPUID ROG CPU-Z
ASUS Extreme tuning utility

From there I ran the AIDA64 without changing anything and things seemed to look good.
Temps were a little high the first time I ran it, but that was before I put my h100i V2 into performance mode.
I then found out about RealBench, So I ran that, everything was great!

I then watched a video and read a bit about it and boosted all of my cores to 46 and changed my voltage to 1.35
Computer did boot and I ran the same RealBench test. The first time my pc crashed quickly. The second time it made
it part of the way through the second test. Temps all looked fine and everything, but to be honest Im not 100% sure what i'm looking
at and for when doing these tests.

My first question would be should I just lower the clock speed to 45? and in doing so do I need to lower the volts?
Or should I jsut play with the volts a bit, raising them by .01 until it can finish the test?

Most general overclocking should be performed using baby steps, clock speed typically before bumping voltages. Make sure you have a good solid base to start with, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you have been diligent in using a good thermal paste for your heatsink/watercooler ensuring good equal parts of coverage? For me voltage increases are what I go to last after determining that temperature isn't an issue. Of course this is all just general insight as I don't run the particular part combination you are running.

Having said that, good luck on this journey, it can be rewarding.

J :cool:

You can raise your volts (although you didn't say what you are running at) as long as your temps are OK (under 90C is recommended) and see if you can finish the test.

Just a note, this subforum is generally for discussion of competitive benchmarking (where 24/7 stability isn't necessarily the goal, just completing the benchmark and being able to submit proof of it :)), not necessarily for getting your first overclock 24/7 stable.

4.7ghz 24/7 stable for me was 1.408v on HWMonitor. My board setting was something like 1.385. Like it was said above, go baby steps in the multiplier until it's not stable. Then add a small amount of voltage until stable. Repeat to go higher. 4.8ghz was stable for me at something like 1.43v but I didn't want to run it that hot 24/7.

Alright, I will try it again without raising volts, I jsut went right to 1.35 at 46 because thats what everything I read said was the sweet spot
But I also read everything is different and nothing is ever the same.
I did apply apply a generous even amount of thermal paste.

I apologize Janus, I just didnt see a threat for "Beginners" Either

- - - Updated - - -

That was going to be one of my questions down the road, Jeff, Thanks for bringing it up!
Running at 4.6 or 4.7, would my CPU still have a decent life as long as the temps stayed cool?

I did apply apply a generous even amount of thermal paste.
You don't want to apply too much tim either. Check out some youtube videos on application methods. Definitely can help if you have high temps.

That was going to be one of my questions down the road, Jeff, Thanks for bringing it up!
Running at 4.6 or 4.7, would my CPU still have a decent life as long as the temps stayed cool?

As long as volts and temps don't exceed recommend levels, you should be fine. I'll let someone else chime in on what those levels are, I can't remember off the top of my head so I don't want to confuse you more.

I'm pretty confident that I did the tim correctly :) That's not one of my worries.
Since the last post I had reset the volts back to auto in bios, and raised the cores back to 46.
Everything is still running smooth, temps are still doing fine, This pic was Screen shotted right after the RealBench
Untitled.jpg

What is the benefit or purpose of raising the volts if this runs fine? I'm just curious.

Let me ask you this are you looking to try and find a 24/7 overclock it are you wanting to push your chip to see how far you can take it in a specific benchmark?

- - - Updated - - -

You raise voltage to stabalize your overclock. Since you left it on auto the mobo raised the voltage for you hence why it did not crash. Check out your cpuz it is showing 1.4 volts vcore, this is well over what you would see with your multiplier at stock.

Right now a 24/7

But eventually I would like to take it to its max.

Baby steps though :p
Still learning

One thing in your SS you cut off the voltages so we really have no idea what the max was. The thing with leaving the board on auto is just that, you don't have control over thevolts and typically the board will give too much.

Alright! Here is the screenshot after, but my fans were still on normal mode, not performance.
r2.jpg

I put my last overclock up here to show you that lowering your CPU by one from 12 Ghz to 11 Ghz like I did will work wonders on how well you think you are actually overclocking. My display now ignores the 2 duo and only reads Core 2, even on Speccy.
cleten.JPG

Sorry... what are you trying to say here? Not entirely sure it makes any sense.

It's is pretty clear that is an erroneous value or photoshopped.

you should check out hwbot.org and download some of those benches and work with them. the benches there will offer you some points and also some comparisons for your work. there is a list of the specific benches that can bear points

Huh, who whazza?!?

What the H-E double toothpicks was that?!
Dang cyber-interloper wackadoos!

Anyhoo, since I am here I have a question...

What is the point of 24/7 overclocking???
Or is there even such a thing??!!:shrug:

I understand the point of stress testing for stability and bumping up gaming rig settings...
But really the easiest way would be using one of the basic OC setting profiles provided by the ROG BIOS and/or Tuning Software (forget what its called for ROG).

Otherwise +1 to what Janus67 said!
If you can make it through the bench and validation process is all you want/need.

I've never seen a HwBot bench/stage for long running processes, except for longest GPU-PI 1B, which I thought was hilarious...

Here is a great link and they are using a Maximus Impact VIII, The BIOS should be exactly the same!
https://www.itrw-pc.com/featured/pushing-the-limits-intel-skylake-i7-6700k-overclocking-guide/

Cheers

I'm so sure. I've overclocked to 17 Ghz also. It's just I don't feel like posting those photos. The timings and voltage are stock. Notice my higher bus speed and rated frontside bus speed. I had to do all of this in my bios of course.

I'm so sure. I've overclocked to 17 Ghz also. It's just I don't feel like posting those photos. The timings and voltage are stock. Notice my higher bus speed and rated frontside bus speed. I had to do all of this in my bios of course.
I would start posting closer to the realm of reality or your stay here will be incredibly short. First and last warning.

Back