• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

There was a loud noise and a thousand drives were silenced.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

With apologies to Star Wars fans. ;)

I thought this was interesting: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-loud-sound-just-shut-down-a-banks-data-center-for-10-hours

I've heard of this phenomena before and even seen references to using isolation mounts for multiple drive installations since vibrations transferred from one drive to the next can cause errors. I wonder if that was part of the issue with this shutdown. Could a vibration induced malfunction in a drive result in additional vibration that could cascade through an installation?

Weird, but makes sense when you think about it. Makes me worry if my cousin's 500w speaker system in his garage could potentially kill the hard drive in the HTPC desktop he has in there.

Weird, but makes sense when you think about it. Makes me worry if my cousin's 500w speaker system in his garage could potentially kill the hard drive in the HTPC desktop he has in there.

I don't think it would kill it. It could cause read and possibly write problems if the disks were subject to the vibrations. I suspect in the article that the disks got kicked out of the raid and that resulted in an inoperable raid or the need to rebuild or restore/resync.

Wow that's crazy!

Edit: I should show my boss this, maybe he'll stop yelling at me?

I saw this tested on some, what looked like, ancient Compaq servers from the late 90s... and when this dude yelled at it, I/O dropped a ton..... was hilarious... let me see if I can find that vid..........

That's what made the noise... the nozzles from the high pressure intergen(flame retardant product) discharge (that likely wasn't supposed to happen).

I saw this tested on some, what looked like, ancient Compaq servers from the late 90s... and when this dude yelled at it, I/O dropped a ton..... was hilarious... let me see if I can find that vid..........

that video is in the link i think lol.

naaah i had an carputer using an old 80gbWD hdd back in the day sitting right next to about 2000w worth of subwoofers and id sit in there and play doom3 while the game was coming out of said speakers at full blast, never had any issues. i think i even might still have pictures of it. lol.

edit found them. 34.jpg 35.jpg

Last edited:
Back